Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Freshman User

J5BAIL is starting off with a positive reputation.
1987 F250 GLOW PLUGS

Hello i have a 1987 f250 6.9 diesel 4sp manual 4x4 my question is there any relationship from clutch pedal to glow plugs it seems like i have to wiggle clutch pedal just right for the glow plugs to cycle and lately it is taking longer and longer for this to work? thanks for your help.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Post Fiend

bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.
No relation to the clutch... have a read here: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/90...le-system.html
Old 06-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Freshman User

Thanks bashby It is the wierdest thing the light comes on and goes off normal but wont start i sit there and wiggle the clutch pedal and i can make the glow plug relay click and than boom starts right up if i dont wiggle clutch pedal it will not click and soon as i wiggle it it clicks and starts thanks for the info i will give it a reading
Old 07-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Freshman User

Ok now that we excluded the clutch pedal one time i turn the key on to start glow plug light comes on but the glow plugs dont than the next time light works again and the glow plugs work? thinking maybe ignition switch? if the glow plugs dont work i just cycle the key several times and they start to work thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 02:51 PM

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
do you have the newer solid state controller, or the older relay style controller?

rarely in life do you meet a person that will drop everything to help a stranger,
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Post Fiend

bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
do you have the newer solid state controller, or the older relay style controller?
If you don't know, read the stickies at the top of the page.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Freshman User

I'm not sure where the stickies are cant find them but im sure it is the new solid state it has bullets style glow plugs and my 84 6.9 diesel is a totally different setup with flat blade style glow plugs. this one im working on has the controller that mounts across the back of the intake roughly the size and shape of 2-3 cigarette packs. thanks again
Old 07-02-2013, 05:16 PM

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
new style. you may have a bad/loose ground connection on the controller.

rarely in life do you meet a person that will drop everything to help a stranger,
Old 07-02-2013, 05:19 PM

the "stickies" bashby is referring to are actually in the pre powerstroke foruns down the homepage a bit in the diesel section.
when people talk about "stickies" they are referring to the read first threads on top of the page in the forum.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Freshman User

Ohh ok Thanks Tom.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Freshman User

Ok I went a ran a new ground straight from battery to controller the issue has not change same thing happening sometimes when you turn key the glow plugs work right away other times it could take 5 min for them to work and sometimes i give up and turn key off and back on and it will work. thanks for any help.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:11 PM
New User

Pat Thai is starting off with a positive reputation.
"Wait to start" light won't come on

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashby View Post
No relation to the clutch... have a read here: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/90...le-system.html
I have never asked a question online before so please bear with me if I explain too much.fficeffice" />>>
My name is Pat. I have several Ford F 350s with diesel engines and my brother is a quite capable mechanic however the diesels are posing a diagnosing problem. He asked me to search for some info for him so here I am. My most recent problem is an 87 F-350 with a 6.9 diesel it was running fine basically and at a traffic light shut off and would not start again after I towed it back to our shop (we are contractors and have a garage). The only thing that was different was the “wait to start light” would not come on. We looked it up and found the most obviously cause was the glow plug relay but had no way to test it. We went to the internet and found a way to jump across the “solenoid” part of the relay assembly. According to the test if the solenoid clicked once when jumped and then once when disconnected and it did so we did it again I sat in the truck he jumped it the wait to start light came on I turned the key and the truck started instantly he let the jump go and it died. I bought the complete relay assembly installed it and nothing changed.>>
>>
Do you have any idea of something else that could cause the “wait to start light” to come on?>>
Any help would be greatly appreciated.>>
Thanks
Pat
Old 02-09-2014, 07:11 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks