6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

My Aux Fuel Tank Install

Old 06-23-2013, 11:33 AM
rvpuller
Received 425 Likes on 279 Posts
My Aux Fuel Tank Install

I moved my 50 gal aux tank from my old 2000 to our new 2013, they changed the fuel fill pipe so I had to change how I was going to feed the main tank I had adapters made that I cut into the lines before. I also decided to add a 12 volt shut off solenoid to stop the aux tank form siphoning into the main tank and a timer so the pump will automatically shut off so I don't overfill the main tank, I'm getting old and have CRS.

My tank is a older 50 Handy Tank this is a new one FT-50 Truck Fuel and Tool Box Combinations - Custom Truck Fueltank & Toolbox Combo | Handy Industries
Fuel pump also the one I had, this is a new one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hl...01-1/overview/
Solenoid 12 Volt 1/4" Orifice Multi Purpose Shut Off Valve
Off time delay TDR-PL 30 min delay
http://www.wolstentech.com/products/...delayrelay.php

Modified filler pipe, I silver soldered 3/8 and 1/4 copper tube into the pipe for fill and vent.

Fuel pump and solenoid mounted under the box, you can also see my compressor to the right.

Fuel line from pump and vent line hooked up to the filler tube.

Fuel line, vent and gauge connections to tank.

Tank with tool box closed, I built the covers a few years ago so I could lock the filler tube and cover up the lines.

Fuel gauge and air bag gauge, I modified the dual air bag gauge housing so my fuel gauge would fit. I used the rocker switch that was for the air compressor for a monetary switch to start the delay off timer and a small LED light so I know when it's running, the main power for the fuel fill is powered from the Uplifter Switches so the power can be shut off when not in use. I also run the for compressor from the Uplifter Switches.

The fuel tank has a non vented cap so the system is sealed and uses the Ford vent system. The fuel tank is bolted down to the box in the back and front so it will not move. I have the delay off timer set for 14 minutes for now, it's easy to change if I decide it's to long or to short. I have always start my fuel transfers when the main gauge hits 1/4 so 14 minutes should bring it above 3/4 but not to full.

Denny

Old 06-23-2013, 04:45 PM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very impressive Denny. Nice, neat install. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Clean install Denny, nice work.

Tried to rep ya but couldn't, great post ought to be in the tech folder.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Dave HM
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which timed relay did you get and how do you like it? I tried your link and came up with search results.

I need to install something like that since I also get distracted with driving and forget to turn the fuel pump off.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 AM
rvpuller
I fixed the link, I used the TDR-PL. It's adjustable form 0 to 30 min just by turning the adjustment screw and I really like it, the one I have uses a positive trigger. If you look close at my last photo you can see the relay to the left of the gauges right above the gas petal. I looked for along time before I found this one and the price was a lot cheaper than anything else I found.

Denny

Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job Denny. I wish they made a tank for under our trucks.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:18 PM
rvpuller
I have a update on my install. Twice I had the fuel cap loose light come on, the first time I thought it was loose but the second I knew it was tight so I looked at my aux tank install. Both times the aux tank was close to empty and the main tank was half or below so I sure there is problem with the air volume in the aux tank being pulled through a 1/4 vent line making the computer think the cap was loose. For now I'm going to cap off where I hooked to the vapor recovery line and install in line fuel filter on the vent line. If that solves the problem I will find a older style recovery canister so I have a rollover valve on the vent line.

Denny

Old 12-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Snowbirds11b
Freshman User
Denny, you must anderstand that the powertrain control module as an amount of time to make the evap test and its calibrated to your main tank 35 gallons, with the aux tank its take to much time to bring down the vacuum, in 2000 the amount of time was probably longer, in 2013 the evap test are more severe.

Alain

Old 12-06-2013, 06:30 AM
Dave HM
Junior User
Denny, I must be leading a sheltered life because i just assumed all aux tanks other than something like transfer flow came with a vent on top that had the roll over valve in it. I could not see one on your pics though.

If you got a plug on top of yours that is closing off a bung it just may accommodate the standard roll over/vent that RDS puts on theirs.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:27 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by Snowbirds11b
Denny, you must anderstand that the powertrain control module as an amount of time to make the evap test and its calibrated to your main tank 35 gallons, with the aux tank its take to much time to bring down the vacuum, in 2000 the amount of time was probably longer, in 2013 the evap test are more severe.

Alain
This is I'm sure the case, the first time was a long fuel run in Nevada and the second when we got to Yuma and were waiting for the price to come down.

Denny

Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by Dave HM
Denny, I must be leading a sheltered life because i just assumed all aux tanks other than something like transfer flow came with a vent on top that had the roll over valve in it. I could not see one on your pics though.

If you got a plug on top of yours that is closing off a bung it just may accommodate the standard roll over/vent that RDS puts on theirs.
There is a 1" diameter tube coming out of the top of the tank that has a 1/4" pipe going to the side of the tank and it may be a rollover valve. I bought it in the mid 90s but they still make them so I'm going to contact them and find out.

Denny

Old 12-15-2014, 06:46 PM
RR24
New User
Denny, a question for you, so you are running the fuel pump and the solenoid, both of the load connection of the relay?
Also is your solenoid on the suction or discharge of the pump?

Thanks Wes

Old 12-15-2014, 07:37 PM
rvpuller
The fuel pump and the solenoid come on at the same time. I installed the solenoid on the pump inlet but if I ever take it apart I will move it to the outlet.

Denny

Old 08-01-2016, 12:13 AM
CaptnJohn
Junior User
Thanks I'm looking at having an aux tank installed in the bed. I'll be happy with 30 gallon or so. The 26 gallon tank is a joke. Miss the saddle tanks on my old GMC. I'll check out the ATTA as suggested......

Old 08-04-2016, 08:01 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought the 6.2 were all 35 gal tanks?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Aux Fuel Tank Install