6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Should I flush my coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:07 AM
landscapeguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I flush my coolant?

I need to put a new thermostat in my truck and I know I have to drain out about a gallon of coolant. But the thing is, I have no idea what type of coolant is in there right now, so I dont know what to add to it at the end.

I was thinking that I would do a flush of the coolant instead and put in an ELC-1 rated coolant, but I have read on here multiple times that If i flush the coolant and switch to elc coolant I have to use restore or some sort of cleaning agent, but they all say if I do this I will plug my oil cooler. I really do not want to plug my oil cooler

Old 06-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
If your temps are fine I would recommend NOT using any sort of cleaner and just doing a straight distilled water flush.

Josh

Old 06-23-2013, 10:47 AM
chewedtoothpick
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you already have a diesel coolant, then I wouldn't. If you are that worried about the coolant type, then get a coolant filter, and run that for a while, then do one or two (max) distilled water only flushes to change the coolant.

If you have green coolant, then you want to do about two or three distilled-only flushes, with a coolant filter to help.

I am not sure what others say, but I wouldn't do the engine block drains if you are doing coolant change (distilled) only flushing - you want to minimize how much sand and silicate goo you stir up.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:41 AM
landscapeguy
Senior User
If i only do a distilled flush should I still switch to a silicate free coolant? I do not think there is a diesel coolant in it right now. Should I stay with ford gold if I do not use chemicals to clean out everything? Because their could still be a film covering everything and I do not know how well the diesel coolant would mix with that

Old 06-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by landscapeguy
If i only do a distilled flush should I still switch to a silicate free coolant? I do not think there is a diesel coolant in it right now. Should I stay with ford gold if I do not use chemicals to clean out everything? Because their could still be a film covering everything and I do not know how well the diesel coolant would mix with that
Drop the coolant.

Remove t-stat and reinstall housing.

Top off with tap water.

Dump the water (radiator and block drain)

Top off with water and idle for 10 minutes

Dump water and top off with garden hose in degas bottle

Start engine with all drains open and garden hose flowing water into degas

Idle 15-20 minutes with all drains open. Rev the engine every now and then to really blow the water out.

Stop engine and let all water drain.

Top off with distilled

Run 10 minutes

Repeat about 4 times

Open all drains then close. Install new t-stat and o-ring. Top off with 100% EC-1 Coolant, about 3.5 gallons.

Drive it like ya stole it.

Josh

Old 06-23-2013, 02:31 PM
landscapeguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Drop the coolant.

Remove t-stat and reinstall housing.

Top off with tap water.

Dump the water (radiator and block drain)

Top off with water and idle for 10 minutes

Dump water and top off with garden hose in degas bottle

Start engine with all drains open and garden hose flowing water into degas

Idle 15-20 minutes with all drains open. Rev the engine every now and then to really blow the water out.

Stop engine and let all water drain.

Top off with distilled

Run 10 minutes

Repeat about 4 times

Open all drains then close. Install new t-stat and o-ring. Top off with 100% EC-1 Coolant, about 3.5 gallons.

Drive it like ya stole it.

Josh
Perfect! thank you. That wont be bad for the engine with tap water leftover in the block of the engine?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:38 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's why you do one or two more flushes with distilled that way any remaining water will be distilled with coolent

Old 06-23-2013, 02:55 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by landscapeguy
Perfect! thank you. That wont be bad for the engine with tap water leftover in the block of the engine?
You'll be using 16-20 gallons of distilled water to flush out the tap water.

Josh

Old 06-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
What you are saying may be practical but if you check on the coolant manufacturers sight you will see stuff like this:

Question: My truck/equipment has conventional coolant in it, but I would like to use ELC. How do I convert my truck?

Answer: Follow these steps:
1. Drain the coolant into a suitable container.
2. Dispose of the coolant according to local regulations.
3. Remove the empty ACA filter and remove the filter base. Plug the
coolant lines or bypass the coolant lines to the filter base.
4. Flush the system with clean water to remove any debris.
5. Use Cat cleaner to clean the system. Follow the instructions on the
label.
6. Drain the cleaner into a suitable container. Flush the cooling system
with clean water
7. Fill the cooling system with clean water and operate the engine until the
engine is warmed to 49 to 66 deg. C (120 to 150 deg. F)
8. Drain the cooling system into a suitable container and flush the cooling
system with clean water.

And here's the reason why.

Question: Does ELC really have acid in it? Does “acid based” mean it is corrosive? Since it is acid based, does it attack aluminum?

Answer: The organic acids used in ELC’s additive package have been neutralized to form highly effective corrosion inhibitors often referred to as carboxylates. The difference is they are “organic” acids versus the “inorganic” acids found in standard heavy-duty coolants. The use of acids as corrosion inhibitors is not new. Conventional coolants contain inorganic inhibitors such as phosphate and/or borate, which are derived from phosphoric acid and boric acid respectively.

The phosphate and or Borate from the old coolant remains on the surfaces even after a fresh water flush. It takes cleaning chemicals to remove them and the surface corrosion created by them to prepare the surface for the structured protective corrosion that is the mechanism of how the ELC works to occur.

This info is from the Cat sight here:
http://louisianacat.com/system/resou...kVU/elcfaq.pdf
Most of the other ELC manufacturers have similar info posted.

To be honest I don't think your engine is going to blow if you don't flush with cleaner during the change. It just has a better chance of protecting your engine as it was intended if you don't skip any steps. This is general info, not specific to the 6.0 Ford so you have to weigh possibly clogging the oil cooler against this info and make your own decision.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:41 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
What you are saying may be practical but if you check on the coolant manufacturers sight you will see stuff like this:

Question: My truck/equipment has conventional coolant in it, but I would like to use ELC. How do I convert my truck?

Answer: Follow these steps:
1. Drain the coolant into a suitable container.
2. Dispose of the coolant according to local regulations.
3. Remove the empty ACA filter and remove the filter base. Plug the
coolant lines or bypass the coolant lines to the filter base.
4. Flush the system with clean water to remove any debris.
5. Use Cat cleaner to clean the system. Follow the instructions on the
label.
6. Drain the cleaner into a suitable container. Flush the cooling system
with clean water
7. Fill the cooling system with clean water and operate the engine until the
engine is warmed to 49 to 66 deg. C (120 to 150 deg. F)
8. Drain the cooling system into a suitable container and flush the cooling
system with clean water.

And here's the reason why.

Question: Does ELC really have acid in it? Does “acid based” mean it is corrosive? Since it is acid based, does it attack aluminum?

Answer: The organic acids used in ELC’s additive package have been neutralized to form highly effective corrosion inhibitors often referred to as carboxylates. The difference is they are “organic” acids versus the “inorganic” acids found in standard heavy-duty coolants. The use of acids as corrosion inhibitors is not new. Conventional coolants contain inorganic inhibitors such as phosphate and/or borate, which are derived from phosphoric acid and boric acid respectively.

The phosphate and or Borate from the old coolant remains on the surfaces even after a fresh water flush. It takes cleaning chemicals to remove them and the surface corrosion created by them to prepare the surface for the structured protective corrosion that is the mechanism of how the ELC works to occur.

This info is from the Cat sight here:
http://louisianacat.com/system/resou...kVU/elcfaq.pdf
Most of the other ELC manufacturers have similar info posted.

To be honest I don't think your engine is going to blow if you don't flush with cleaner during the change. It just has a better chance of protecting your engine as it was intended if you don't skip any steps. This is general info, not specific to the 6.0 Ford so you have to weigh possibly clogging the oil cooler against this info and make your own decision.
Thanks for posting that Rusty , you know its Dam if you do and Dam if you don't I would take my chances more so with a clean healthy coolent system than a dirty system and flip a coin on the oil cooler at least you know that you have done the service rather than not at all. the choise of coolent now days is like the cerial isle at the grocery store.