1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series TrucksDiscuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks
Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.
You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!
So we've had my '56 for a little over a year. We don't have an exact plan for her, but our goal is to get her up and (safely) running for a year or two and then get the body work done. If all goes as planned, I'll be out of school and have a big-girl job by then!
I know y'all love pics, so here's a few:
This has been removed and we are getting new pipe for the new muffler. Dan has rodder tendencies, so we got a CherryBomb to replace this one.
Took out a few leaves.
So we're getting pretty excited to get rolling on our truck! We've built up a couple wheeling trucks, worked a few haulers, and daily drivers of course, but this is new territory for the both of us!
Cat, nice pics! I personally put a Thrush glasspack muffler on my setup and it works great. It gives the 223 a decent sound and it cheaper and easier than a regular muffler. AZ has the glasspack for about $20. The Cherrybomb brand I tried to use made the truck sound strange. Keep going and it will be a great truck when you are done.
Well, we got a new battery and cables in today, CherryBomb glass pack is in, and tires mounted on the wheels. Brakes should be functioning, too. We are putting an alternator in, as well, but keeping the generator just in case we want to go back to stock later. Someone (and I'm not naming names or anything ) only got 2 u-bolts today instead of 4, so we weren't quite able to get the wheels on the truck today. Of course we figured that out after the place closed for the day!
Tomorrow we'll get the wheels on. My hope is that while I'm doing that, Dan can get the alternator in and we can go for a spin around the neighborhood!
So we've been working on the truck a bit this week. This is for 2 distinct reasons: 1) It's so close to being driveable! and 2) It's been warm here, we have no central air, and the garage is better insulated than the house, thus making it way more comfortable than the house!
Thought I'd show you some pics of what we've been up to:
Pine T&G for the decking of the flatbed we're going to build
Stained it to look a bit weathered
Comparing the stained wood to the original unstained stuff.
Stained vs stained with two coats of poly.
Mama's little helper...who mostly just stays in the chair and looks unimpressed with the progress! (Although I did scare the bejeezus out of him when I crunched a finger in the sawhorse and let a few choice words fly!)
A little chrome polish and elbow grease works wonders!
How she sits now.
Alternator is in, minus one bolt. (I think I'm starting to detect a theme...) Gonna work on finishing the poly today.
Here's an ole school tip on removing rust from chrome (like your hub caps) that works better than all that elbow grease and polish. Go in the kitchen and grab some aluminum foil. Wet the rusted area with just plain ole water. crumple up the foil and rub the rust away with it. That simple and that cheap.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.