2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid "To Change or Not to Change"

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:31 AM
jawsfree
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission Fluid "To Change or Not to Change"

Transmission Fluid "To Change or Not to Change" that is the question.
I have a 2007 F-150 FX2 with 105,000 miles and have never done anything with the transmission fluid. I was thinking of having it flushed but I have herd that it can lead to problems if it stirs up any small trash in the system. It's been suggested to just drain out as much as I can by partially dropping the pan and adding some new fluid. Just not sure what is the best course of action on this one. I am NOT having any trouble with the transmission at this time nor have I, knock on wood

Jason

Old 06-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
definitely time to change fluid...........Here's what I have done on every vehicle (auto trans) that I have owned for 30 years....

At 20k miles, I change the filter (due to possible residual/initial wear particulates that may be floating inside) and either drain the torque converter (if so equipped with a plug) or disconnect the trans cooler line at the radiator, fill the pan with fresh fluid, my wife starts the engine and when 2-3 quarts drain into a bucket, she shuts it off, I refill the pan and repeat until the fluid is clear and in case of the f150, 14 quarts of fresh fluid is in.

I change only the fluid after that (unless I determine substances/contamination in the oil). The intervals vary depending on the type of trans, type of fluid and conditions, but in general, every 30k miles. Heat is a killer on automatic trans fluid and when we lived in the desert area, I changed the trans fluid at the end of summer every year.

In regards to filters, oem is fine, but I typically use Wix.

In regards to trans oil, both in sticks and autos I have always used Valvoline.

I have also never had a trans failure in any vehicle I own and typically keep my vehicles for 10+ years, with over 100k on the odometer.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:56 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Lubricates and cools mechanical parts. Why would you not want to replace/refresh that fluid? I never hear anyone arguing against replacing engine oil... Or brake fluid, etc.

At the least, drop the pan and do partial change/refreshes. I installed a pan with a plug to ease the drain process. I think if the pans came with a drain plug a lot more people would be inclined to do regular fluid changes. You'll at least get a 1/3+ replacement that way (right at 5 quarts), and if you do just that once a year, it's a heck of a lot better than nothing.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:26 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think most of the issues that seem to crop up after doing a transmission fluid flush were already there before the fluid change.

I was having a sticky govenor issue in my Jeep last winter. It would stick between 1st and 2nd gear.

We did a total tranny fluid change by removing the return line, and letting the old transmission fluid drain into a pail as we added new fluid down the filler neck.

It worked out awesome. My Jeeps shifts like it's brand new now. All it takes is a small piece of debris in the oil to hang the valve body or governor up.

I would do a total fluid change on it.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM
wolfy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also of the camp that says 100% fluid change.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree at this point drain it and change the fluid and the filter.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
x6

It's a myth that changing the fluid causes problems.

A transmission mechanic told me once, if everyone changed their fluid once a year (automatic or manuial), his profession would be like the wagen wheel makers.

There's only ONE fluid that doesn't ever ever ever neeed to be changed, no exceptions, for any vehicle on the planet.........the windshield washer fluid!

Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck
x6

A transmission mechanic told me once, if everyone changed their fluid once a year (automatic or manuial), his profession would be like the wagen wheel makers.

There's only ONE fluid that doesn't ever ever ever neeed to be changed, no exceptions, for any vehicle on the planet.........the windshield washer fluid!

Dirty fluid is what destroys a transmission. I have an 04 Jeep Grand , that I'm going to do this to next month. Has a 150,000 on the ticker.

Last time I flushed that one, it also made a huge difference in the shifting.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:56 PM
The Oldtimer
Senior User
Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck
x6

Changing the fluid is always a good deal, but HOW you change it may matter. I have never been a fan of the "pump it through under pressure with a machine" style because it could possibly dislodge something that might end up in the valve body. Having said that, I did that to my 95 motor-homes E40D several years ago, and it worked just fine. I have no proof of my skepticism, just a hunch...

Old 06-28-2013, 02:35 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by The Oldtimer
Changing the fluid is always a good deal, but HOW you change it may matter. I have never been a fan of the "pump it through under pressure with a machine" style because it could possibly dislodge something that might end up in the valve body. Having said that, I did that to my 95 motor-homes E40D several years ago, and it worked just fine. I have no proof of my skepticism, just a hunch...
I bring my vehicles to a garage around the corner for this. I buy the tranny oil, and they supply the bucket.

They remove the line off of the radiator and use the internal tranny pump to pump out all of the old fluid, while adding in new fluid at the same time.

Using this method, nothing gets forced through the valve body, it's a pretty good way of doing it.

Tony

Old 07-01-2013, 02:32 PM
The Oldtimer
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1ATony
I bring my vehicles to a garage around the corner for this. I buy the tranny oil, and they supply the bucket.

They remove the line off of the radiator and use the internal tranny pump to pump out all of the old fluid, while adding in new fluid at the same time.

Using this method, nothing gets forced through the valve body, it's a pretty good way of doing it.

Tony
I've thought about doing it that way...sounds foolproof to me. After basically interviewing the head mechanic, I had Pep Boys (no laughing...) drop the pan and replace the filter, ect....the oil was pretty clean and it seems to work just fine.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:45 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by The Oldtimer
I've thought about doing it that way...sounds foolproof to me. After basically interviewing the head mechanic, I had Pep Boys (no laughing...) drop the pan and replace the filter, ect....the oil was pretty clean and it seems to work just fine.
IMO it's the best way to do it.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Originally Posted by 1ATony
IMO it's the best way to do it.
I agree, using the transmission's torque converter to pump the old out and new in is a win-win!