Well this just isnt my month for my truck. Im taking my truck to North Carolina in a couple weeks so ive been checking things over. Ive never had the spare out and didnt want to end up neededing it and have it stuck and not able to drop it, so i dropped it out. Well first the lock cylinder in the bumper that you have to remove to get the rods in to lower the spare was all rusted on the back side and i couldnt get it to turn so i shot it with PB Blaster and let it sit and it did loosen up, but when i pulled it out, i found it was really rusted. THe E clip was broke and the one tab on the lock bent out ward. So im trying to fix that.
The spare dropped out fine, no problem. So i figured i would check the fuel pump driver while i was under there. Holy crap, i cant beleive mine is even still running! The alumnium body is broken in half, with two gapeing cracks, the plastic top peice is just about disconnected from the body of the module. The whole thing is just all corroded.
I will be picking up a new one on my way home from work tonight. Autozone has a Doorman brand one with the standoffs, which ive heard others using as far as the brand goes and not had any issue. So im glad i checked cause that would have been a real vacation bummer being broke down halfway to NC in the middle of the night because of something i could have fixed.
I will post pictures of it when i pull it out tonight.
Ok got my pump module switched out last night. Mine was junk, i dont know how water and stuff wasnt getting into it and it didnt die already. Here are some pics of the old one.
Rusted, Corroded, Broke. Looks like the corrosion on the underside kept building up and pushing the module away from the frame causing it to buckle and break
Layer of corrosion build up on the under side. I was able to scrape it off with a screw driver.
Another view of how broke it was.
A hole that ate through under the layer of corrosion.
Without any excessive force at all i was able to break the peice in half by hand. Didnt seem to have any evidence of moisture inside though.
And here are some pics of the new one, i cleaned up the cross member and gave it a shot of paint. I actually gave the whole frame everywhere a shot of paint. Makes it look alot cleaner.
All mounted up
You can see the gap between the module and the frame now.
I also scraped off the rust on my spare tire and shot it with a coat of paint. And also my hitch. I also got my lock cylinder fixed with a new E clip and slathered it up with anti-sieze before putting it back in.
The guy who had the truck before my must have never washed this truck or cleaned the under side. Everything has a coat of rust on it. So i try to scrape it off and shoot it with some black paint. Makes it look alot cleaner and nice.