1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Pescs334
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sluggish

so I have a 97 ford ranger 2.3L all fluids have been replaced including air filters and cleaners. I just switched to high mileage oil and just put in double platinum spark plugs. my problem is that during low rpms throughout gears the truck is sluggish and it has a hard time pulling up through the rmps but then randomly in between the low a rpm and higher for that gear it will just stop being sluggish and kinda pop forward and the truck acts normal un till I shift again. what could be my problem? any tips would be great thanks

Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 PM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok, back to the basics. You have done some of the basics, but these things if done incorrectly can actually cause problems.

What brand spark plugs did you use, and did you make sure they were gapped correctly? What about the plug wires? Did you clean the MAF sensor with an appropriate cleaner? Have you looked a the timing belt is in good condition and that it is timed correctly? Bad timing will cause performance issues. Check for vacuum leaks. A bad FPR could cause performance issues as well, if the fuel pressure is too high or too low, or doesn't change with load, it can cause all sorts of grief.

Get rid of the high mileage oil. High mileage oil is just regular oil that has seal conditioning additives that cause your seals to swell and soften, causing them to fail. If your seals are going bad, they need to be replaced. Running an oil that ruins them faster is not going to help anything. An engine at 300,000 miles has the same lubrication requirements as an engine at 3,000 miles. So there is no need to run different oils for different mileages.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:56 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Did this problem come about After you replaced the fluids & K&N air filter in your other "Extra Power" thread here?????https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tra-power.html ?????

Are you using the specified 5W-20 engine oil, spark plugs & wires & gaped to spec as has been asked????

If all that's ok, have you checked fuel pressure & flow rate over time & exhaust back pressure, maybe a clogged cat, or crimped pipe????

Old 06-20-2013, 04:20 AM
Pescs334
Freshman User
Originally Posted by KhanTyranitar
Ok, back to the basics. You have done some of the basics, but these things if done incorrectly can actually cause problems.

What brand spark plugs did you use, and did you make sure they were gapped correctly? What about the plug wires? Did you clean the MAF sensor with an appropriate cleaner? Have you looked a the timing belt is in good condition and that it is timed correctly? Bad timing will cause performance issues. Check for vacuum leaks. A bad FPR could cause performance issues as well, if the fuel pressure is too high or too low, or doesn't change with load, it can cause all sorts of grief.

Get rid of the high mileage oil. High mileage oil is just regular oil that has seal conditioning additives that cause your seals to swell and soften, causing them to fail. If your seals are going bad, they need to be replaced. Running an oil that ruins them faster is not going to help anything. An engine at 300,000 miles has the same lubrication requirements as an engine at 3,000 miles. So there is no need to run different oils for different mileages.
the spark pluggs where done my my manager at oil can henerys. but ill check and the fuel filter is older but would it really just all the sudden start faili? the belts are new and high mileage oil is no good then should i switch to full synthetic like edge titanium?

Old 06-20-2013, 04:21 AM
Pescs334
Freshman User
Originally Posted by pawpaw
Did this problem come about After you replaced the fluids & K&N air filter in your other "Extra Power" thread here?????https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tra-power.html ?????

Are you using the specified 5W-20 engine oil, spark plugs & wires & gaped to spec as has been asked????

If all that's ok, have you checked fuel pressure & flow rate over time & exhaust back pressure, maybe a clogged cat, or crimped pipe????
the mass air flow is fine and no i use 530 for the summer, ill probabaly need to replace the coils ?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:39 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
As mentioned earlier, this high reviving engine has 5W-20 specified year round, a high viscosity 30 weight, which most high mileage oils are, will put unneeded drag on the engine & the cam needs oil as fast as it can get up there to do a lube & cooling job, then quickly drain back to the sump so it doesn't run low. An oil that's too viscous & stays in the top end too long can be whipped into a froth by the cam & aerated oil doesn't lube, or cool worth a flip, again all a vicious circle.

Why do you now think you need to replace the coil packs???? Do you have trouble codes for them, or have you done a wet down test that shows electrical breakdown, or are seeing arcs & sparks at night around the coilpacks????

To have the 4banger do its thing, just get it back to stock form with the specified plugs, wires, lubes & filters & see how it goes. Ford knew what they were doing to get the most out of it, when they designed the 4banger, so get its scheduled maintenance up to date with the specified parts & lubes & see what you have.

Or if you have a specific problem, or a trouble code for a problem, perform a proper troubleshoot, which the forum can help talk you through, rather than just toss parts at a supposed problem on a hunch.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Pescs334
Freshman User
No I just had a buddy mention the coils saying they might need to be checked and thanks for the oil tip makes perfect sense. It currently has 520 and I checked the gap and it's fine. Everything else is stock even the air filter once again took out the K&N. I'm back to stock once again. Also this problem seems to come and go like today is no problems at all.