1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Recommendation for under bed gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Vin Man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendation for under bed gas tank

I sold the 55 and picked up an 80% done 56 small window. One of the projects I am doing is relocating fuel tank from cab to under the bed. Looking for recommendation here from those that have done this. i am leaning towards the Mid-Fifty kit that mounts to stock cross member, has the screw on trap door and uses the door in the wood bed. Am I way off basse?

Old 06-18-2013, 01:23 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Vinny,

here's the way a lot of us have goner
INSTALLING A MID-60's Mustang Tank in a '53 F-100 truck

you can also check the sticky at the top of the forum for some other tank options...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-how-tos.html

later
John

Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
There are lots of options.
The first step is deciding what type of gauge you are using as it willhelp to have the gauge match the fuel sender in the tank; GM to GM, Ford to Ford, aftermarket to aftermarket, etc.
2nd step is to decide where you want your fuel filler hose to be; left side, right side, bed floor.....

The Mustang tank is a popular option. For the Mustang tank the most common place for the fuel filler is through the bed floor.
Full sized Bronco tank has been done a number of times (do a search for RandyJack for a great thread on it) The filler neck will come out on the drivers side of the truck (Randy cut a fuel door into his fender)
The full sized Blazer/Suburban tank is also popular. The filler nekc comes out towards the passenger side for this tank (I'm using it and went with a chrome marine style filler pipe in the right rear fender)

I've also heard tell of some Jeep tanks, Mitsubishi Montero tanks, aftermarket, etc
The sky's the limit

Bobby

Old 06-19-2013, 08:30 AM
perks56
Junior User
Mid Fifty Tank

Vin Man,

I used the Mid Fifty step down tank that you didn't have to remove the crossmember and it was easy install.

Because I am going to be doing a lot of long distance travelling with my truck I decided to spend the money to go new and that one looked like it would give me the best fit for what I wanted.

The pop top filler cap is great as you don't have to unscrew the cap to fill just put the nozzle down into it, easy peezy. At the time I did it they were a 20 gallon tank but I see they are a 19 gallon now, and there are a lot more door options for in the bed.

Also went with new VDO gauges and tank sender, they all work great.

Good luck, perks56 (Kevin)

Attached Images     
Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 06-19-2013, 11:30 PM
27TV8
Freshman User
Gas tank filler

I used a Jeep tank and a remote filler to the fender, What if you have something in the bed? I have a 2 degree slope and a 1/2 inch vent so will not have problems filling.The fender is where the filler is. 1948fordpickup.blogspt.ca.
Thomas

Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Vin Man
Senior User
Whether I go with the Mid-Fifty or the Mustang tank setup, either way, do I need to remove the bed of the truck? I was hoping to just put truck on a lift and install from underneath. I had expected to remove the wood flooring, but do I need to removed the entire bed?

Old 06-20-2013, 01:04 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
I did the mustang tank under the bed of my 52. Did not remove the bed did it all from underneath on my back on the driveway. Got some pictures posted in my gallery.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:53 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Vin Man
Whether I go with the Mid-Fifty or the Mustang tank setup, either way, do I need to remove the bed of the truck? I was hoping to just put truck on a lift and install from underneath. I had expected to remove the wood flooring, but do I need to removed the entire bed?
If u go midfifty you should be able to leave the bed and just remove the boards that are in the way.

If u go mustang it depends on ur setup and how u go about installing the tank. I wanted my tank as high as possible while still maintaining as much of the crossmember as possible. I cut my crossmember in half length wise, welded in some square tubing to give it back the strength i removed. and theb built a support structure to hang the mustang fuel tank from.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 PM
scf100
Mountain Pass
Did the 78 Bronco gas tank from Randyjacks thread
25.5 gallon tank and paid 123.00 from O'Reilly auto parts
Gas filler in drivers fender

Old 06-21-2013, 04:29 AM
52'F-3
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I used a 87 jeep YJ 4-cylinder tank & skid plate...... moved one cross member a couple inches and modified filler neck

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-21-2013, 05:58 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
If you are planning a rear tank think exhaust routing. I wanted rear dual exhaust. A rear tank in my 49 at least in my case would have made my dual rear exit exhaust a real problem.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:00 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 49willard
If you are planning a rear tank think exhaust routing. I wanted rear dual exhaust. A rear tank in my 49 at least in my case would have made my dual rear exit exhaust a real problem.
This tank came out of a Jeep Comanche and the exhaust exists out the roll pan.

__________________________________________________ __
48 Ford F1 - Darkside
46 Ford Tudor - Street rod

"Happiness - 3 pedals and a 5 speed"

Old 06-21-2013, 07:25 AM
Vin Man
Senior User
Thanks for heads up on the exhaust. I will have to look at my exhaust and see if there is going to be a problem. Considering my truck is already on the street and driving, I don't know if anything will need to be relocated.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 48 Steel
This tank came out of a Jeep Comanche and the exhaust exists out the roll pan.

__________________________________________________ __
48 Ford F1 - Darkside
46 Ford Tudor - Street rod

"Happiness - 3 pedals and a 5 speed"
Your roll pan would be directly behind the main cross bar for my class 4 trailer hitch. I think that I am seeing the cutouts in your roll pan. Have you run the exhaust to those openings. It does look a bit busy routing through the IRS!

Edit: Are you running outside the frame rails and around the coil springs in the rear perhaps?

Quick Reply: Recommendation for under bed gas tank