Sponsored by:

BRAKES AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 06:45 AM
RobertH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BRAKES AGAIN

Ok, I know....been hashed a thousand times over.

It is time for new rotors and pads.

What I am looking for now is after reading until my eyes are bleeding and brain is mush, who out there has had warped rotors, replaced them with something new and now not having warped rotors? What rotor did you buy and have best luck out of so far.
I don't care about brand loyalty, just something that can perform. The last in my mind is someone had confirmed that they found rotors from O'Reilly's lifetime version to hold up with no warping so far. One person if I recall said they would replace them if they were warping.

Background...I know to torque to 165ftlbs.
I run Hawk Super Duty pads! Excellent stopping power (sometimes have been amazing in an emergency stop!) Yeah a little dust, but it washes off and noise is not that bad.
I have tried ART frozen rotors, got 60K before warping. Best so far, but very pricey.
I have tried slotted and drilled. Both warp and don't like the vibration from them compared to smooth rotors.

So, thinking of trying the O'Reilly's version, but before I take the plunge, enlighten me please.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 AM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power slot cryo rotors with the SD hawk pads(Yellow box). Thats what I put on and so far they have been great. The rotors are the sloted ones not the drilled. so far about 20,000 on them. I'm in up state NY all hills brake eating country.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:09 PM
RobertH
Tuned
Thanks. Out of all the reading so far, I see majority seems to have success with the power slot rotors which are now known as stoptech, I placed my order for the cryo version and hawk sd pads. Hope these hold up!

Old 06-18-2013, 10:08 PM
tims01
Elder User
$300 ebay set from brakemotive ... best $$$ spent ever

Old 06-19-2013, 03:40 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i'm running cryo power slot rotors and hawk SD pads. love them!

Old 06-19-2013, 04:57 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Powerslot cryo rotors front with hawk lts pads all the way around and oreilly rotors in rear. Work and feeel great.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:28 PM
RobertH
Tuned
Installed the PowerSlot/StopTech Cryo rotors front and rear and the Hawk Super Duty pads today. Did the break in as they advised, so let's hope these work better than what I had before.
I have to say, they are quality looking parts. Nicely coated, and the directional vanes to vent the air away seems to be something that might make a big improvement in cooling cycles.

Noted that I ended up with approx. 50K miles on the old rotors and Super Duty pads. The front pads were getting thin, maybe had another 5 to 10K left. Rears were still pretty thick.
Now with 158,000 on odometer, will check them again at 200,000.

Last edited by RobertH; 06-21-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: added more info.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:12 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Next brake change, I am going with these guys:

High Performance Brake Pads and Brake Rotors - Frozen Rotors

Earlier this week, I sent them an email asking about the quality of source of their rotors and I got an email back from the President of the company explaining to me that they thoroughly check every rotor before they use it. Awesome service like that is enough to win me over.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have Hawk LTS pads, which I like. The Hawk SDs are for commercial trucks over 1 ton, a little much for our Excursions I think. I am running slotted Powerslot rotors, I bedded them in good, but am starting to get a little warpage I think, but only sometimes. I am sticking with the Hawk LTS pads, but going back to OEM rotors I think next time.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 PM
xbox73
Mountain Pass
What most consumers interpret as warpage is not actually warpage, but uneven pad material build up on the rotor. I don't recommend drilled rotors, as cracks can develop between the drilled holes. I recommend slotted rotors.

I recently had the brakes on my X done, and went with new slotted & vented cryo Power Slots & Hawk LTS all round. I too went with the LTS over the SD, as some people report squeaking with the SD with lighter vehicles/loads (speaking relatively here). If you always tow, or have a heavier vehicle, like a CCLB or F450 or F550, the SD may be fine, but after reading Hawk's literature on the differences, I felt the LTS was better suited to a daily driven X that doesn't spend most of its time towing, but has the capability to if needed.

Too soon to report on long-term characteristics, but I am happy so far. It may well be possible to get away with the non-cryo rotors, but I just wanted to deal with the brakes once & be done for a while. I also had them completely remove & rinse out & dry the brake fluid reservoir, and then had the full brake system flushed & filled with Motorcraft high-performance brake fluid (it actually compares fairly favorably to racing brake fluid w.r.t. dry boiling point).

Incidentally, doing the bedding-in procedure on a diesel X isn't a trivial matter, at least compared to a sporty car it's not. Sprinting 5-60-5 mph in a diesel X repeatedly isn't that easy to do if you live in an urban area, and tends to make most observers or other road users scared or think you have a screw loose. But I got it done, and hope I should be good for a while now.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:15 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i went with the HAWK SD over the LTS on my daily driven excursion due to heavy hard braking in traffic and many high speed stops..ect i dont tow much but i wanted the best pad i could get for stopping power. i now have almost 700 miles on them and noticed no extra noise or more brake dust then my top of the line Car Quest pads that i had on there. actually i think i'm seeing less brake dust now then before.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:18 AM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Brakes again for me to this weekend on the 2000 Ex after only 22'000 miles, last monday i had a caliper hang up on the right front and it got hot. Ordered LTS brake pads and new brake lines (Ford oem) for the front, put them on saturday along with two new calipers, napa warranty took care of the right one that hung up so i had to only pay for one, the brake pad didnt look too bad so i left them on just to see what will happen, i have the old Power Slot cryo rotors that are i believe zinc coated, didnt turn them or anything, this is a test, the new ones are painted so i will see in the coming weeks how it fared the heat event. I also flushed the brake fluid with about 1.5 qt's of fluid.

The test begins today!

Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM
xbox73
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by jdw1
... last monday i had a caliper hang up on the right front and it got hot. ...
Good reminder to lube the caliper slide pins periodically & when servicing the brakes.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:10 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xbox73
Good reminder to lube the caliper slide pins periodically & when servicing the brakes.
The slide pins didn't freeze up, the bottom piston seized.
FYI

Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Alex F
Senior User
So, I'm looking at around $600 for a set of Power Slot cryo rotors and Hawk Pads, does that sound right?

Is there a cheaper place to get these?

Quick Reply: BRAKES AGAIN