1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Coolant Temp ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:50 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run at 190 degrees on my mechanical gauge all day long with my P/U camper on and towing my Jeep on the trailer (scale weight just under 16k). This includes driving over many of Colorado's mountain passes. If you are concerned about your temperatures I would install another gauge as the factory gauge is not much more then an idoit light IMO.

Paul

Old 06-20-2013, 02:40 AM
kyle6241
Senior User
Thanks for the info will have to take that into conseideration

Old 06-20-2013, 11:41 AM
kyle6241
Senior User
Originally Posted by 59JEEPSTANG
I run at 190 degrees on my mechanical gauge all day long with my P/U camper on and towing my Jeep on the trailer (scale weight just under 16k). This includes driving over many of Colorado's mountain passes. If you are concerned about your temperatures I would install another gauge as the factory gauge is not much more then an idoit light IMO.

Paul
Hi
I did put another Gage with numbers and put the sending unit on the water pump drivers side and my temp will very all the way for 200° to 230° and that is where I back off and have to keep it under 55 mph

Several yrs ago when I bought the pickup it never run that hot I am going to town this afternoon and get a different fan clutch.

by the way what does anyone think about replacing the 7.3 fan metal with a plastic fan made for 6.0 2003 pickup I done some reading last night and it seem they are happy after doing that

Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
I put a 6.0 fan on mine, and Glenn did too. It's supposed to move more air. I've only made one trip with mine. I don't know if it helped/hurt anything though, I did other things at the same time so its hard to say. I didn't have a overheating problem before with the stock fan either, no matter the weather.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Like Darin said I also put the 6.0 fan on but was running warm. I think my fan clutch was bad so I replaced it and will test it out Sat. This truck is new to me so I have no history of the temps before.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:05 PM
kyle6241
Senior User
Hi I see this was started back in June 2013
What did you get figured out?

a couple yrs ago I had to install a new radiator and last yr a new water pump and this yr a new fan clutch and a new thermostat I am still having trouble with over heating some of the time pulling an empty trailer going up big long hill it will heat up to 230° [[I should ask how hot is to hot??]] and the pyrometer on the turbo will go to 1175° and when that happen I back off.

Loaded it don't take that much of a hill to make it get to 230° I have found that if I back my speed down to 55 mph or so then it don't heat as much or as fast as it will when running 65 mph
When I got the pickup several yrs ago the gage on the dash would read just like you described and never go up the M A

[NORMAL]
My mechanical gage gets to 190° to 200° and the dash gage reads at N O
the mechanical gage gets to 225° or 230° the dash gage reads at M A
I have the mechanical gage sensor in the hole on the drivers side of the water pump

Kyle

Originally Posted by Notpilbrisk
Alright, I am back again. 1995 f250. What kind of temps are you guys running while just daily driving or driving down the highway. I bought my truck about 3 or 4 months ago. I havent done any towing but will be here in about two weeks. 2500+ miles, so I wanna figure out if somethings wrong now with my gauge or temp sensor, etc... before Im broke down on the side of the road, stranded. My trucks temp gauge always just rises to the N and stops, very rarely (it was 100degrees last week) it got up to the O. But didnt stay there very long. Was thinking it was just a stuck open thermostat, not leting it reach operating temp. but replaced it and still does the same darn thing. I started looking for the coolant temp sensor, and priced one out at navistar and ford, and they told me theres two available, square conn, or round.. Was told the CTS was located on the front cover just above the water pump. There is no connectors there that I am seeing, OTHER then what appears to be some type of temp sensor. SINGLE wire and just a fitting plug that slides over the single prong coming out of sensor/sender, what ever it is. I also found the same type plug/ sensor, if your under the truck looking up at the cam sensor, above the CMP sen, kind straight up and to the right. Any insight on what these are?
Thanks in advance for yours guys help!
Gerry

Old 08-18-2013, 01:06 PM
kyle6241
Senior User
did the 6.0 fan help any?
Kyle

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Like Darin said I also put the 6.0 fan on but was running warm. I think my fan clutch was bad so I replaced it and will test it out Sat. This truck is new to me so I have no history of the temps before.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
How big of trailer? How long of hill? No matter, I still don't think it should get that hot. What thermostat did you put in? What kind of radiator? How warm does it run empty? You can run 1200egt all day if your probe is in the manifold.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:28 PM
kyle6241
Senior User
trailer is a 6.6ft W and 30 ft long grossed out about 26,000 to 28,000 but it get hot when the trailer is empty also. the long hills are a 6% grade and about a mile long.
The radiator was ordered from a parts store and look identical to the old one and when we replaced the radiator was not when the temp started running hot so I am very confident that it is not radiator. the man at the parts store wants to back flush the engine block and the radiator in case something is floating around in there and plugging something up at times and I have not got that done yet the
thermostat was a 190° from the parts store and I had tried one from Ford earlier and it does the same thing

the probe is not in the manifold it is about 3 in. back from the turbo in the exhaust pipe that is where the instructions said to put it when I bought it new.

With out a trailer it does not get hot

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
How big of trailer? How long of hill? No matter, I still don't think it should get that hot. What thermostat did you put in? What kind of radiator? How warm does it run empty? You can run 1200egt all day if your probe is in the manifold.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:44 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
It will read about 200° hotter where you have it. In the manifold is the most accurate. I still have not formed an opinion about the 6.0 fan because this summer has been a lot cooler where I've been compared to last summer when it was over 100°.

Edit: Should have said cooler, the probe in the manifold will read a more accurate reading, about 200° hotter then in the pipe by the turbo.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:47 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I have to ask another question. About when did it start running hot? I guess you didn't happen to notice it after one of the things you replaced or you wouldn't have asked. If you've done all that stuff, I assume your coolant is pretty good and fresh too. I guess if it were mine I'd probably do a flush on it and install a coolant filter too. You've eliminated a lot of the possibilities.

Plugged heater core possibly?

Glenn, I think they make gauges that read off where he installed it, but I'm not sure I'd trust them. You'll get a lot more accurate reading on the manifold.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:20 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm probably not qualified to enter this conversation, but I had a fair amount of experience trying to figure out cooling issues with an F150 i had before this truck. It seems really odd to me that this would be anything but a circulation issue. At 55mph you're moving a lot of air through the radiator and engine compartment. Mine would get really hot sitting in traffic because the fan wasn't pulling enough air (I had gone to a single electric fan and it wasn't big enough for a hot day in traffic). But moving it really didn't matter how hot it was, the radiator could keep up. I know pulling is different, but like others have said, the cooling system seems really dialed in to these engines. So, have you ever put a coolant filter on it to see if you have a bunch of scale or something floating around in there? $45 bucks or so and you can tap one into the heater lines. And, then the back flush might be another option. Just my .02, fwiw.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 AM
kyle6241
Senior User
Thanks for all the suggestions

[[I have to ask another question. About when did it start running hot?]]

Last yr my oil was running very very hot and I had make some changes added new stuff I didn't need including a new oil cooler and finally changed the IPR valve and did the trick on the heading oil and I guess ever since I have had the water running warmer than it used to and when I try to run 65 or 70 mph then it get way to hot any how last winter I didn't have to much trouble because of the cold weather but this summer it has made me keep my speed down to 55 or 60 mph I have a guage on my engine oil and it stay about 10° to 15° hotter than the water and I understand that is normal However the water always heats up before the oil does

you know I didn't ever know there was a coolant filter [good idea]

hope fully I can get it flushed this week I don't have any trips planned
Thanks Kyle

Old 08-20-2013, 03:01 PM
BIGRED 7.3L
Elder User
I get to reading these posts and worry about my damn temps. So to make myself feel better and confirm:
Running a 203* thermostat, my temps should be around the 203* correct? What is hot for our trucks?

I am not running a manual gauge yet so I only have the dial to go off of and it hovers on the R to M letters while pulling. My oil temp on my scan gauge reads in at 218*ish on a 80-85* day pulling. On a 90+ degree day pulling I saw the Oil hit 224*. Too high?

I don't think I have any issues but like to have my paranoia stroked by you guys with the info. I know "worry less, drive more".

I have a coolant filter on my truck. Where else can I put a manual temp sending unit other than the filter head which is 5 feet of hose away from the pump?

Old 08-20-2013, 03:15 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
James, you can put a sending unit right below the thermostat housing on the drivers side of the water pump. There should be a plug there.

I'd guess with the 203 stat those numbers are normal. 224 is a little high for my taste, but I don't honestly know if it is too high for these things or not.

Sunday I was coming home with my truck/trailer and it was 90 or so out here too. I ran about 195-200 on the temp gauge, and the oil was about the same. That is with a 180 stat. If its cooler out, like in the morning, it will run right at 180 towing 16k. I've seen it at just over 200, that day was 95+ and windy. Doesn't seem to get any hotter on hills.

Quick Reply: Coolant Temp ???