Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Fuel Injection, Carburetion & Fuel System
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 PM
New User

MV7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel Pump Voltage

First of all, thanks for reading this post and offering any insights you might have.

2001 Excursion 7.3 started missing the other night. Great loss of power, but made it home. Rough idle, "clacky". Next morning, did the following in order: 1) Pulled the fuel filter inspected, 2) removed all fuel from the bowl 3) replaced bowl fuel with Seafoam 4) installed new filter (my typical procedure). Without starting, I then 5) removed HPOP oil from reservoir and 6) filled with fresh oil using exact amount removed as a gauge for what to replace.
Started, idle smooth for a time. Increased rpm by depressing accelerator. Began running rougher and rougher accompanied by white smoke. Finally quit and would not restart. Cranking easily, tachometer showing RPM during crank.
Suspected no fuel getting to fuel bowl. 7) Drained fuel bowl using valve on back of bowl. 8) Turned ignition to "on" to get fuel pump to run 9) removed new filter, no fuel in bowl 10) With fuel filter out of the bowl, removed fuel filter and quickly cycled the ignition to "on" and back off -- no fuel entered the bowl. 11) Removed leads from fuel pump. 12) Checked voltage across leads as ignition cycled to "on": 6.5 volts. 13) Checked fuel pump fuse (20A Maxi fuse in location 112 -- BLOWN!) 14) Replaced fuse, performed voltage test: 11.55 volts 15) Checked battery voltage: 12.44Volts.

So, with all that, how in the world does the fuel pump get 6.5 volts with the fuse blown? I looked closely at the fuse and there was no slag or connection in the element.

Today I have pulled the 9-pin and 42-pin connections on the valve covers as well as the connectors to the glow plug relay module (used on Ex's) to inspect wires and connections. All looked fine. I plan to us some LP5 electro contact cleaner to clean all the connections and put some electrical grease on the connections, but the big question is where did that 6.5V come from with the fuse blown. I plan to pull the fuse and do the same test to see if the 6.5V is still there.

Thanks for any insights you can provide.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:09 PM

LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
Not sure where the stray voltage came from. it should be battery voltage to run. It must have backfed from another circuit. Perhaps an issue with the fuse panel itself.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:43 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMan1 View Post
Not sure where the stray voltage came from. it should be battery voltage to run. It must have backfed from another circuit. Perhaps an issue with the fuse panel itself.
Thanks, LxMan1. That certainly seems plausible. I did notice a bit of dust (just a bit) on the firewall end of the panel. Related? Maybe. If the stray voltage is coming from the load side of the fuse, I suppose pulling fuses would ID the culprit (probably start with the closest firstest). But it could be touching anything anywhere in a harness so that's just wishful thinking.

Tonight I checked resistance of the glow plugs at the 9-pins... #7 was open. With 160k on her, I'm pulling both valve covers and replacing them all. I suppose a good time to do some under v-cover maintenance, deep cleaning, and some minor mods I've been putting off.

Again, thanks for responding. That got my little pea-brain spinning to figure how to find it. I am documenting what I do and find to share it with everyone.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:37 PM
MSEE

fmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud of
Are you sure the fuse was completely open? Sometimes fuses fail in a "partial" state such that they act like a large resistor; depending on the load downstream you'll see a drop across the fuse. I've run into that a couple times with older glass fuses, but not blade fuses.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:54 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc400 View Post
Are you sure the fuse was completely open? Sometimes fuses fail in a "partial" state such that they act like a large resistor; depending on the load downstream you'll see a drop across the fuse. I've run into that a couple times with older glass fuses, but not blade fuses.
Thanks fmc400! I took a closer look (a VERY CLOSE LOOK). It appears that the fuse is completely blown, but one side is at about 0.5mm or less. If you can look at my uploaded pictures, there is a shot of the blown element. Thanks for the reply... still snooping for possibilities. Though I wish no ill on anyone, I'd love to hear if someone saw the same thing...
Old 07-04-2013, 03:46 PM
New User

Likely resolved, but still confused...

Quote:
LxMan1, Another member did a very gracious thing and pulled his fuel pump leads and tested voltage under the same scenario... KOEO (2003 F-250 7.3L). After 20sec at batt volts, voltage dropped to 6.6V... just like mine. I don't know why but I feel A LOT better now.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:44 PM

LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
Strange indeed!!

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 07-05-2013, 08:09 PM
New User

Quote:
Strange indeed!!
Yes, but "Tugly" figured it out... it is a small amount of current sent via the PCM to monitor pump health. It is apparently normal. I realize that I have a lot to learn!
Old 07-06-2013, 01:54 PM

Gotcha, good to know.

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 07-06-2013, 01:54 PM