Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Post Fiend

acf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputation
miles.degrandi
95 7.3 shut off like a switch, wont restart

We were headed to a truck meet friday night when one of my buddies in the convoy with his 95 F350 7.3 just died pulling upto a red light like he hit a switch, no stumbling/surging/nothing. Cranks, but doesnt restart. That night we tried diagnosing it with like 10 guys but we had no luck, had to tow it home. We unplugged the ICP sensor then as well, and it was actually melted, but still wont restart.

I dont know much history of the truck but it has 273k miles and he installed new injectors a few hundred miles ago. Weve had it hooked up to either my truck or my buddies cummins charging it while trying to start it.

-We triple checked every fuse under the dash, and the hood.
-Horn worked, so we swapped that relay with the IDM and PCM relays and those were both good.
-Tested GPR, working.
-No smoke coming out exhaust
-Wait to start light comes on and takes probably 15 seconds to go off.
-Tach does not move when cranking
-Fuel bowl is filling up
-Cleared all the codes, and the only one left is P1280
-Hooked my scangauge up to it and read ICP, while cranking first try was 0, second was 2400, third was 0....
-Switched from front to rear fuel tank, still nothing...
-UVCH were both plugged in

Hes short on money because hes a senior in high school and bought this truck from a farmer for like $2000, and has been putting a bunch of money into it fixing necessary items. Swapped the CPS today, no change. Theyre going to replace the ICP sensor tomorrow after work. The only 7.3 around is a super duty so we dont want to pull the fender off just to see if we can swap IDMs and determine if thats it. Any ideas? No idea what they did when the injectors went in, if that could be affecting something
coming soon: BPD water pump, Dieselsite HPOP, running for more than a week

Old 06-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

fordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud of
With no tac movement I'd start looking at the CPS wiring
96 F350 CC ZF5 53k with grandpas package
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 06-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Postmaster

stainlessstroker95 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.stainlessstroker95 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would start with a new cps from ford, sounds like you need a new icp sensor also. The idm from a 7.3 super duty will work on his too, no need to pull the fender off to get to it either. It just unbolts from the fender and its free.
Gabe 95 f250 4x4 super cab psd, zf 5 speed, 6637 air intake, scan gauge, stancor gpr, ccv mod, 140v IDM, HPX line, irate t4 mount, s366 turbo, i/c, 3" plenums, Rosewood 238/80 hybrids, T500, studs, springs, rods, DP Tuner f6 chip, diamond eye ss 4" exhaust, 3" dp, irate e fuel, short throw shifter, Valair kevlar/ceramic clutch, Destination MTs, d60 RSK V codes , shackle flip B codes, bilstien shocks, scorpion bed liner, custom tailgate. 96 f350 4x4 psd, dually flatbed welding truck, zf 5 speed, stock. 79 bronco.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Post Fiend

acf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputation
miles.degrandi
Thanks guys, he said the CPS was only like $16 so it probably was from napa. I know the IDM on the OBS is on the inside, but on the super duty isnt it behind the fender?

Old 06-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

fordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud of
I'd try a fird or IH CPS. The ones from parts stores are known to be dead out the box
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 06-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

To get to the sd idm you have to remove the inner fender
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Post Fiend

miles.degrandi
Alright, we put in a Ford CPS and ICP sensor. ICP sensor wiring looks good. Still nothing. Whats next...swap IDMs? IPR?

Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpride View Post
With no tac movement I'd start looking at the CPS wiring
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Are get it put on a AE

To start a psd you need
10.5 v
125 RPM
500psi HPO
15psi fuel pressure
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 07-25-2013, 05:06 PM
New User

jcass29 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't mean to hi jack your thread but I have a 96 f250 7.3 turbo. It has shut off on me a hand full of times just like you turn the ignition off no stumbling, surging, or anything but it has always started right back up. Recently it shut off on me and it took a good minute to start back up. Today coming home it shut off while driving and would not restart I ran the battery's down and had to have a jump. once I got the jump it fired right up and I drove it home, now I'm scratching my head. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Post Fiend

miles.degrandi
With this truck it happened to be the HPOP went bad

Old 07-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Post Fiend

ReBilld has a great reputation on FTE.ReBilld has a great reputation on FTE.ReBilld has a great reputation on FTE.ReBilld has a great reputation on FTE.ReBilld has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcass29 View Post
I don't mean to hi jack your thread but I have a 96 f250 7.3 turbo. It has shut off on me a hand full of times just like you turn the ignition off no stumbling, surging, or anything but it has always started right back up. Recently it shut off on me and it took a good minute to start back up. Today coming home it shut off while driving and would not restart I ran the battery's down and had to have a jump. once I got the jump it fired right up and I drove it home, now I'm scratching my head. Any help would be appreciated.
Get a CPS (cam position sensor) from IH or Ford. Stay away from the parts store ones. The sensor is just above and to the left of the crankshaft pulley on the front of the engine. It's easier to get at from below. Takes a 10mm wrench and about 5 minutes to change.

'95 F350 CCLB 4x4 dually,ZF 5spd,4.10,Rosewood Stage 2s,T500,S366,IC,Tony Wildman tunes,e-fuel,6637,CCV mod,3.5" DP,Diamond Eye 5" exhaust,Valair clutch,IH water pump,Scangauge,GlowShift gauges
'92 F350 CCLB 4x4,ZF 5spd,4.10,460 gas to PSD conversion project truck
Old 07-25-2013, 06:05 PM
New User

jcass29 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yep, I just had the codes read and I got CPS code and Low volts code which I attribute to running the battery's low trying to start it. Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

Yup get a CPS.

That code really doesn't mean anything. These trucks will set a CPS code with extended cranking
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 07-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Senior User

pilgrimbizket is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acf6 View Post
With this truck it happened to be the HPOP went bad
How did you find that out
Old 07-25-2013, 08:18 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel