1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Transmission Hesitating

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 08:16 PM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Transmission Hesitating

Recently, my truck has started rolling back from a stop when accelerating. There seems to be a hesitation between when I depress the throttle and the transmission engaging. It doesn't clunk, just delays. Been doing it for a few weeks, but is now getting worse. Today, the symptoms are similar but more pronounced. When driving there doesn't seem to be an issue, just moving out from a stop.

Checked the fluid idling in park, level was good, fluid looks great, was changed by a shop 6 months ago.

Any thoughts? Is my 319,000km trans on its way out?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:50 AM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Problem seems to be getting rapidly worse. Now taking 3-4 seconds after pressing throttle for truck to start moving from a stop. Engine just revs up. When truck finally starts moving, it is a smooth transition. No lurching or clunking at all. Once moving, the truck seems to run normally, shifting up and down properly, but if you stop at an intersection, the lack of initial engagement happens all over again.

Could really use some thoughts. Don't want to damage the tranny further if there is a simple fix.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:27 PM
daltonruff
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like a clutch to me. I'm no expert, (66 yr old) so I would wait for one of the transmission guys to respond.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Possibly a slipping torque convertor. Very odd symptom. Fords always have great "hill hold". But I am sure that the feeling you are getting is slipping, and not sure on acceleration why else you would have that issue except from a bad TC. Hope some one else can shed more light on this

Old 06-20-2013, 01:00 AM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Took it to a transmission shop. Their tech took it for a drive. He thinks that the forward clutch barrel is cracked, or something like that. Now the wife and I have to decide if we are going to spend $1000 to to repair our $1000 truck. Toying with the idea of finding a used tranny and swapping it myself.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:37 AM
R Pope
Senior User
Same thing happened to my '99. It was a cracked clutch housing, needed a new trans. I got a used one from a wrecker.
Try to get one that hasn't been sitting idle for more than a few months. The crud can settle out in the passages and screw up the oil flow. My replacement trans required flushing and two fluid changes to get it working properly, and I use the word "properly" advisedly. Never seen one of these crap transmissions work the same way twice in a row. Just something Ford fanatics live with, I guess. I drive it easy, and don't go far from home......

Old 06-20-2013, 11:24 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Oh jeeze. Good luck! I don't blame you for wanting to swap the tranny. Its 2wd like my truck and it will not be hard to change out. This must be with the 4R70w transmission ?

Old 06-21-2013, 10:33 AM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Yes, 4r70w. Found a guy on craigslist parting out a 2wd 99 who wants $300 for the tranny. Still in the truck and I can test drive it before he pulls it. 160k km. Seems like a perfect solution. Should know in a couple of days.

I've been loath to spend much on this truck because it doesn't really suit our family that well, but $300 is cheaper than buying something else.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 PM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Drove out to drive the donor truck. Ran fine. Verified 160k km on the odometer. Truck is in really nice shape. Guy is associated with a towing company. Says this truck was an unclaimed theft recovery. Anyway, gave him a deposit and he will pull it for me to pick up next weekend.

Only question is that the truck is a 98 not a 99. Shouldn't matter should it?

Old 06-22-2013, 07:47 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
That's such an exelent deal! Even if you don't know how long your keeping the truck it is easier to sell running. It may end up being a back up vehicle or something you never know! I can understand if the single cab/ long bed isn't working for you guys. I'm not sure the years of the transmission makes a difference. I'm sure they are close. I hear of people changing them like this all the time.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:05 AM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Here's hoping it all works out. The truck is a supercab longbed, and seats 6 but I'm 6'6" and my boys are getting big as well and there just isn't enough room for comfort. That being said, finances currently dictate that we work with what we have.

I'm toying with the idea of swapping in the replacement tranny, then rebuilding and upgrading the old one. The chassis of the truck is pretty solid, and would make a good third vehicle when the time comes to get a more suitable family sized ride.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:57 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
That makes sense! These are great trucks IMO. Let me know how hard it is to rebuild these transmissions. I was thinking about putting a trans temp gauge on mine at some point. Other wise they seem like really great trannys. Big improvements over the automatic over drives as far as towing goes

Old 08-10-2013, 10:57 AM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Thought I would update this post. I replaced the trans in a few days of fighting and struggling. Tips for others attempting this include: lift the truck up as high as you can so you can slide the tranny out from underneath the truck, plan to disconnect the exhaust at the collectors, and have lots of Advil handy for sore neck and aching back from laying on the ground and reaching/ looking/ straining to see what the $%#@ you're doing.

Replacement trans is in and working great. Tranny cooler is going in today with heavy duty rad in preparation for towing our travel trailer on vacation next weekend.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:57 AM
LilredWagon
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
How's the truck running today? Replacement trans still holding up well for you?

I'm in a similar position as my '98 F-250 LD has started acting up similar to what you described, except my truck has the E4OD trans and only does it once it gets hot like after towing my skid steer or a load of dirt. I might be swapping or rebuilding mine pretty soon here...

Old 01-13-2014, 10:18 PM
BCHauler
Fleet Mechanic
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Truck is running well and the transmission has been trouble free since the swap. I did notice what I thought was torque converter shudder developing, but it turned out to be related to the larger than stock tires i have that were troubling the transmission's shift points. I had upgraded from the stock 235/70/16 tires to 265/75/16. Anyway, I recently replaced the 3.31 rearend with a 3.55 unit, and returning the truck closer to the stock ratio has eliminated the shudder.

Quick Reply: Transmission Hesitating