Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Garage security and tool identification questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 04:01 PM
grumpy hvacr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage security and tool identification questions.

Garage was broken into yesterday afternoon. Short verson: my floor jack was in a neighbors yard (they may not have stole it, not sure at this point, but I don't believe so) and I got it back, nothing else damaged or missing. The jack was the nicest thing you can get to without emptying out half the garage.

Garage is a detached 2 car garage with only 2 garage doors to get in. Car side(car not on the road at this time), garage door opener was disengaged and I fixed the lock so I could access the garage in case of a power outage. Truck side has garage door opener working.

They broke in through the car side, lock no longer works, now using garage door opener again.

Plans include:

Contacting alarm company (I have a monitored home alarm system) and adding garage to house system.

Have a can of purple paint. Now my tool chest, tool cart, jack, jackstands, etc will look a little different than most, and I will be able to identify them easier.

Engrave last name on to tools I actually care about, recording model, serial, and taking a picture (most are harbor fright tools, not worried about them). Would this be enough?

Can you think of anything else (beside booby-trapping the place) I should do.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:31 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
Maybe a driveway sensor. Motion detector lights.

The alarm is a good idea. We did a remodel 12 years ago. We put all our furniture etc in the garage. I had the alarm guy hook it up. I also put a sliding hasp and padlock on the garage door. The local theif came by, cut the lock and got an earfull of horn when he tried to force the door open.

I replaced the lock, added a second one and installed lights. No more issues.

ymmv

No booby traps btw. Cameras can be handy--a local midnight rambler was busted via a security camera image. "Critter cams" from the sporting goods store might work for under $100.

Serving suggestion......

Old 06-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Wal-Mart has a decent game camera for $50. I am going to pick one up, as gas cans seem to grow legs around here. Not fun when it's the pre-mix for my saw and I'm behind on cutting the wood for heat.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:00 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
i have a video system installed now after 35 gallons of gas and 15 gallons of diesel were siphoned out of 3 vehicles. then 3 weeks later the house across the street was broke into. nothing was taken because the dog woke up and scared the drug addict away. and we know it was a druggie, because a week later he broke into a house down the street and admitted to the one across the street after he was caught at the pawn shop with more jewelry than a crack head should have legally.
the cameras are in plain view, and there is no way to disable one without being seen by at least one other camera.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:30 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Chicago garage had been broken into a half dozen times, each time through the overhead door by tripping or capturing the simple coding that the manufacturers supply with the openers.
My solution was to purchase a simple plug in remote control module for the power cord for the opener. Now I can shut the power off independently of the power to everything else in the garage. Kind of a pain to have yet another remote but it hasn't happened again in the 3 or so years since I installed it. 2 minute install, plug it into the receptical and plug the cord into it.
I also reinforced the latch side of the jamb for my service door with 2 1/2" dexion slotted angle and added burglar bars to my windows and skylights. I have a pair of 500 watt halogen lights on a motion sensor at the perimeter of the alley side of the garage set to pick up anything above 3 feet so the critters (mostly rats and squirrels in this cesspool city) dont set it off. The 1000 watts of halogen light it up like its a medical lab so its pretty obvious if someone is there.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:19 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
Old 06-15-2013, 10:28 AM
grumpy hvacr
Senior User

I just spit out my coffee all over the place.

I love it.

Gotta get me one of those.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:36 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
Old 06-26-2013, 03:55 PM
grumpy hvacr
Senior User
Update

$420 dollars later, my garage is now tied into the home alarm system.

Door opens, alarm goes off, cops show up.

Was at the point where money wasn't a issue. Now it's done.

Got a bunch of pictures of my stuff, showing how I marked them.

Was working at a dive bar, fixing a ice machine. Someone there was selling pit bull puppies for $100.00 each (boy, were they cute). Actually consideded buying one (and a few signs).

Hopefully I just spent a bunch of money for something I won't need.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:00 AM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Local Police told me to engrave my 9 digit zip code and first four letters of my last name. No problem with ID Theft then.