6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Acquiring 2004 or 2006 F250 Diesel

Old 06-14-2013, 06:55 AM
TonyJestis
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acquiring 2004 or 2006 F250 Diesel

I may be coming into a 2004 to 2006 Ford F-250 Diesel. I say "may" because I have been told that this truck needs $3000.00 worth of engine work done. It has the "Power Stroke" diesel. I know this engine is similar to the DT488 wet sleeve engine that International uses.

I can't imagine what would cost $3000 to repair on this thing. But then again, I am a mechanic and what may cost $3000 to have a shop repair, may only cost me a fraction in parts. I do know these things have a problem with the pump that is located under the intake in the center section. This problem is usually avoidable if owners do proper maintenance, but most owners are clueless about proper maintenance on a diesel engine.

I know I am shooting in the dark, but does anyone have an idea what the MOST likely problems there could be which would cause the engine NOT to run and would cost the average owner $3000 to have a shop repair?

Thanks,

Tony

Old 06-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Coronado
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
For $3,000, it's probably head gaskets, or all 8 injectors or some combination of both.

Typical shop cost is $3k for headgaskets.

This engine is not a DT488, the 6.0 is a VT365 from International.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:08 AM
TonyJestis
Senior User
Thanks, Powerstroke 72...and thanks, Coronado. I knew it was similar to one of the International engines. We have a DT488 in one of our smaller commercial trucks where I work. It is a pain for the diesel guys to work on. It's just so different from the N14's and ISX series that we have in our other trucks. I wish International would quit trying to think outside the box. Their engineers just aren't good at it.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:10 AM
TonyJestis
Senior User
Originally Posted by Coronado
For $3,000, it's probably head gaskets, or all 8 injectors or some combination of both.

Typical shop cost is $3k for headgaskets.
What can I expect to pay for parts? For head gaskets? For injectors?

I am sure I can get the gaskets from my local parts store, but do I need to go to a diesel shop like Fuel Injection Services to get the injectors? Are the injectors rebuildable?

Thanks,

Tony

Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Coronado
Mountain Pass
I believe head gaskets are $150-$200 per side and they include the head bolts, but if you end up going that far, you might as well install ARP head studs which will eliminate alot of your potential worries about stretching the torque to yield head bolts due to cylinder overpressure from a tune or stuck turbo vanes.

Injectors are usually $250 per from the local dealership not including the core charge.

Yes, you can rebuild them and there are plenty of reputable shops that do so, but I personally haven't done it.

Keep in mind there are various orings and gaskets you should replace when you do this job. Like turbo drain tube orings, turbo oil feed gasket and oring, intake manifold gaskets. Oil filter/Secondary Fuel Filter base orings.

If you do take the Secondary Fuel Filter housing/Oil Filter housing off, make sure to get the Fuel Pressure Regulator update kit that installs into the fuel filter side of the housing and brings your fuel pressure up to a more acceptable level. It is commonaly called the "Blue Spring Mod/Update".

Also, if you end up having to replace the EGR cooler, you can either delete it (Depending on local laws) or install a bulletproof cooler.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Coronado
Mountain Pass
Funny you should say about the engineering of the engine, the fuel system, HEUI, was actually designed by Caterpillar and is used on their smaller engines.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
There were significant changes about halfway through the '04 model year. It important to know the engine build date before ordering parts. Head gaskets are about $400 and come with new (torque to yield) head bolts. Many people upgrade to head studs while there in there (another $400ish) especially if there may be a tuner in the trucks future. The gaskets from Ford (or IH) have proven to last much better than available aftermarket "high performance upgrade" sets. Injectors are around $240 ea so a full set is pretty spendy. They can be worked on a little by us DIY guys check the Tech folder for discussion. Oil and EGR coolers are a common issue also. Just a little reading here at FTE will get you on the right track there. Gauges for oil pressure (bottom end oil), fuel pressure, and EGT are recommended along with a OBDII monitor to keep an eye on the rest of the engine/truck.
Post back when/if you get it with the model year and we can be more specific on the smaller parts that may need changing.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:06 AM
TonyJestis
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
There were significant changes about halfway through the '04 model year. It important to know the engine build date before ordering parts. Head gaskets are about $400 and come with new (torque to yield) head bolts. Many people upgrade to head studs while there in there (another $400ish) especially if there may be a tuner in the trucks future. The gaskets from Ford (or IH) have proven to last much better than available aftermarket "high performance upgrade" sets. Injectors are around $240 ea so a full set is pretty spendy. They can be worked on a little by us DIY guys check the Tech folder for discussion. Oil and EGR coolers are a common issue also. Just a little reading here at FTE will get you on the right track there. Gauges for oil pressure (bottom end oil), fuel pressure, and EGT are recommended along with a OBDII monitor to keep an eye on the rest of the engine/truck.
Post back when/if you get it with the model year and we can be more specific on the smaller parts that may need changing.
Thank you, one and all. If this deal goes through, this will be project number 6 on my list. (Numbers 1 through 3 are my boats, 4 and 5 are my girlfriend and her daughter's cars)

I am hopeful about this project. I will find out more information this weekend when I actually see the truck for the first time. The present owner is mechanically ignorant not a slam, just a fact) and doesn't know the first thing about working on ANY vehicles. So hopefully, I can use that to my advantage when making a deal.

Tony

Old 06-14-2013, 10:53 AM
TonyJestis
Senior User
I was mistaken. This truck is equipped with the V10, not the diesel. I will make a new thread. please close out this one.

Thanks,

Tony