1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Automatic to Manual ... Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 PM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deleting the ebp would sure let the engine breath better. I guess the best is finding a donor truck, where i can use the driveshaft as well.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:14 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FI460
A little birdy told me there is a spot somewhere that says "Bill was here". Happy hunting
Lol. The second day was quite stressful for numerous reasons and that SOB had the nerve to say the driveshaft was cut improperly. The nerve! I almost smacked him with a large wrench!

Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tshrager
Lol. The second day was quite stressful for numerous reasons and that SOB had the nerve to say the driveshaft was cut improperly. The nerve! I almost smacked him with a large wrench!
Which SOB are you referring to?

Old 06-13-2013, 11:27 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Which SOB are you referring to?
Ill give you 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count!

Old 06-14-2013, 12:12 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tshrager
Ill give you 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count!

Old 06-14-2013, 07:58 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for setting my measurements straight, Bill. I corrected my post so no one gets wrong information from it.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 PM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
You ever went to a salvage yard that usually don't have anything you need ? Well I stopped this morning at a u-pull place and they just gotten two diesel in. I a 95 and a 96 both standard . Well went back home , called a friend loaded tools and back to the junkyard . Some guys were already pulling the tranny on the 95 so I went to work on the 96 . 3 hrs later I had a 5 speed zf in a good condition, a a steering column, all pedals, harness , PCM , driveshaft , flywheel and clutch . Got everything but the actual shifter . It was gone and could not locate another one . Paid 190 for everything . And deem it was hot out there

Old 06-15-2013, 06:10 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by dieselsubmariner
You ever went to a salvage yard that usually don't have anything you need ? Well I stopped this morning at a u-pull place and they just gotten two diesel in. I a 95 and a 96 both standard . Well went back home , called a friend loaded tools and back to the junkyard . Some guys were already pulling the tranny on the 95 so I went to work on the 96 . 3 hrs later I had a 5 speed zf in a good condition, a a steering column, all pedals, harness , PCM , driveshaft , flywheel and clutch . Got everything but the actual shifter . It was gone and could not locate another one . Paid 190 for everything . And deem it was hot out there
Wow. Even if the ZF needs rebuilt you got yourself one hell of a deal!

Old 06-15-2013, 06:16 PM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
In and output shaft of the tranny have absolutely no play . The shifter linkage is tight as well . Clutch package only had minor wear on it. I did noticed however that the bearing in the flywheel was bad . Well I guess I can get that at the parts place. But where do I find a shifter?

Old 06-15-2013, 07:17 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
Dang! That is one heck of a score! I paid considerably more for my swap...

Old 06-15-2013, 11:23 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
That was a steal! You need to go buy a lottery ticket, cause you're one lucky guy! LOL! Congrats on the parts find!

Old 06-16-2013, 06:33 AM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
thanks guys,

but the luck was pnly, because they had to diesel truck sitting there. the pricing at the local store is extremely low, and is regardless of where the part comes from... so if you buy a transmission from a pinto or a ford diesel, its always 65 plus core.
that one 95 still was somewhat complete, engine and all. but hpop was pulled. still had valvecovers on and injectors on. it was tempting, but for injector they charge 25.

i might scan and post their price list..
but for now , i got to purchase more material, before i attempt the whole job

Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, you got one heck of a deal on that stuff!

Can anybody verify whether the shifter from a 5 speed F-150 would fit on this ZF5? Some of the gassers got the ZF and some got the M5OD but I would think (guessing here) that the shifter from a gasser (F-150,250, or 350) with a ZF should work just fine.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:44 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Nate - I'm almost positive that any shifter from almost any ford with a manual transmission from the 80's and 90's will be interchangeable - maybe even more years. they might not all be the same shape - some of the older ones were quite tall, but they should all have the two-hole mounting configuration at the bottom. I know my old 97 explorer shifter was the same as my current F250 gasser (with ZF5). the boot is probably different, though - or maybe not...

just measure the c-to-c distance on your tranny stub and check at the yard, right? even if the holes/threads are different size, that'd be easy enough to make work....

Old 06-17-2013, 01:56 PM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks guys,

but the luck was pnly, because they had to diesel truck sitting there. the pricing at the local store is extremely low, and is regardless of where the part comes from... so if you buy a transmission from a pinto or a ford diesel, its always 65 plus core.
that one 95 still was somewhat complete, engine and all. but hpop was pulled. still had valvecovers on and injectors on. it was tempting, but for injector they charge 25.

i might scan and post their price list..
but for now , i got to purchase more material, before i attempt the whole job
Any chance they have a extra cab long bed manual? Either 7.3 or 7.5
I can't find a driveshaft anywhere

Quick Reply: Automatic to Manual ... Advice needed