1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

lowering by removing some stock leafs springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 02:26 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you are not planning on carrying much loads, you can remove the extra section and/or replace the entire spring with a suitable replacement stack down to a F1 or less if you want to lower it/soften ride as well.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:19 PM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 53 that i bought a kit that set the axle on top of the springs and lowered it about 3 inches looked really good. I didn't even run the truck and took it off,decided to put shock waves on it and really drop it with a Fat Bar four link system. Waiting on Fed Ex to bring it to put it on. Think I'll be satisfied with this one. The leaf spring set up gave me about one hand tall distance from the ground to the bottom of my runningboards.

Last edited by 53pickemuptruck; 10-13-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-14-2013, 09:46 PM
hillcogolfer
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
front suspension/lowering

Originally Posted by AXracer
Effie trucker is right. Lowering the front only could decrease the already minimal caster angle of the front axle, but that is easily corrected by installing one or two pairs of caster shims between the spring and axle. Most of our trucks with the beam axle can benefit from a pair of shims added even with stock springs.
Hilcogolfer, I'm a bit concerned about what type PS was added and how, can you post some pictures of your setup?
DON'T try mounting the beam axle on top the springs! There is not enough space for suspension travel between the axle and frame and/or axle and engine, and would be unsafe since there would not be anything to keep the axle in place on the spring and the axle is not wide enough on that side to spread the load, you would likely break the spring. A seriously bad idea!
Hey Ax, just got back to my truck today....it's got a GM gearbox...appears that it's the 800-808 model. Plus...it's got some slop in it. But, I'm gonna try to help things a little anyway by adding about 6 degrees worth of caster shims. I'm gonna hold off on that power steering pump pressure'flow reducer till I've at least had a chance to reset that caster and check the toe-in.
Thanks for your input.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:51 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I would not go past 6* caster. make sure you have a long enough head on the spring to fully engage the axle hole. Longer head center bolts are available from Mid Fifty etc.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:19 AM
hillcogolfer
5th Wheeling
caster

Yes, from what I have heard now on here, it sounds like 3 or 4 degrees of positive caster might be okay for stock height and if dropping the front end go ahead and go 6 degrees. I am thinking that as long as we have the axles loose to install caster shims, I'd like to remove the bottom part of the leafs at least.... to try and get it a little lower....so it seemed to me like 6 would be about right in that case.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:30 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by hillcogolfer
Yes, from what I have heard now on here, it sounds like 3 or 4 degrees of positive caster might be okay for stock height and if dropping the front end go ahead and go 6 degrees. I am thinking that as long as we have the axles loose to install caster shims, I'd like to remove the bottom part of the leafs at least.... to try and get it a little lower....so it seemed to me like 6 would be about right in that case.
Everyone is probably tired of hearing this, but be sure and put some big clamps on those springs before you take the center bolt out.

Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2013, 07:52 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Everyone is probably tired of hearing this, but be sure and put some big clamps on those springs before you take the center bolt out.
Can never post that warning too many times! The leaf springs may appear harmless, but there is a lot of stored up energy in them. The Mid Fifty www,midfifty.com catalog has detailed instructions on which leafs to remove and how much drop it will produce. While the springs are apart it would be a good idea to add HMW plastic slider strips to allow the springs to work smoother
Correction: dropping the front does not require more caster (i.e. going from 4* to 6*) but when you lower the front height with the springs, it results in the axle losing caster, hence you need to restore the lost caster (not necessarily add additional caster) by adding caster shims. The OEM setup on the front axle was for ease of steering on the tires, low speed roads and off road driving of the day, and so even the stock suspension can benefit from some additional caster for stability on today's high speed roads.
Mid Fifty sells the slider strips and the caster shims.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:51 PM
hillcogolfer
5th Wheeling
Home made press

Originally Posted by 49willard
If the main leaves are good it is easy to reverse the eyes. I did mine in a small home made press that just uses a small bottle jack, All that you are doing is to reverse the arch between the 2 eyes. Total time for 2 springs might have been 1/2 hour. It is all done cold the same as a spring shop would do it.

How did you set up this home made press?

Old 11-15-2013, 06:40 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
I made my home made press years ago out of full thickness 3 " structural channel. It is a bench mount bolted to a table. Using a bottle jack, the ram of the jack pushes up and I would place the spring leaf on top of the piston. The horizontal structural members have a 3" gap between them. When reversing the camber of the main leaf, the leaf is positioned 90 degrees to the upper horizontal members with the jack ram position to push in the middle of the 3" gap under the spring leaf between those upper horizontal members. I chalk marked every inch and worked my way over the length of the spring.
This is an example where one picture would be worth a thousand words but I am suffering with computer photo problems.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Wolfracing
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think we need to be careful to understand what causes bumpsteer. It can come from several areas on more complicated suspensions, but on these solid axle deals, I think the only risk for bumpsteer would be the link from the steering box to the tie rod. With severe angles of that link(drag link) like when the axle is at full droop on a lift or jackstands, the link can push or pull as it goes through its arch. But when the link is close to flat, the arch changes the steering very little. I don't think you would get into a lot of trouble with this link at the drops we are talking about. Just look to see if the link is more or less flat at the desired ride height.

Just a question about leafs and ride: I see we don't want to paint them, but if one is too cheap to get the sliders, could/should any lubrication be used between the leafs?

Old 11-15-2013, 09:54 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Years ago we would put strips of copper window screen packed with heavy grease (what was called waterpump grease, originally used to grease old fashioned pitcher pumps) Then wrap the springs with electrical tape to keep the dirt out. It would need to be redone about once a year. But really, no offense, but if 25.00 for the slider strip is more than you can afford, maybe you should consider a less expensive hobby?

Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Wolfracing
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The final sentance is simply an ignorant statement and you know it. I simply was asking about the normal maintenance. What did people do before the strips? Who said I couldn't afford it? What if you bought every single item that you could afford? There are lots of items I can afford, but if I bought all of them I couldn't afford anything then. Duh!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Jolly Roger
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When replacing the centre bolt of the spring pack what grade of bolt should it be replaced with? Grade 8? Or is there a specific bolt you can buy from a spring shop?

Old 11-16-2013, 10:30 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I thought the ignorant statement was "I'm too cheap to buy (25.00) slider strip (to do it right)..." so my answer was given in the same vein.
I told you what was done in the past, but it would cost as much if not more than the slider strips, be more work, and not be a permanent solution. That's why it's not done anymore!
I could understand if it was a lot of money, but I'd bet you spend more than 25.00 for a hamburger and a couple of beers or glasses of wine on a night out. It's a matter of priorities. This is NOT a cheap hobby.
"What if you bought every single item that you could afford? There are lots of items I can afford, but if I bought all of them I couldn't afford anything then."
That's an absurd statement, the basic definition of afford means it would not run you out of money.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:50 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfracing

Just a question about leafs and ride: I see we don't want to paint them, but if one is too cheap to get the sliders, could/should any lubrication be used between the leafs?
I always just sprayed some good penetrating oil between the leaf's let it sit, wipe it down and take it for a ride. It was usually good for a couple of month's. good luck

Quick Reply: lowering by removing some stock leafs springs?