Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Large Truck
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-11-2013, 12:21 PM
imabass imabass is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 24
imabass is starting off with a positive reputation.
How to adjust the fuel delivery on 7.8L turbo diesel?

This is my first diesel. I read through my manual but I did not see any mention of adjusting the fuel volume.

Are the injectors on a 87 7.8L electronically or mechanically triggered?

Why? I want to investigate a propane/diesel blend. My understanding is that propane injected diesels work well and reduce cost.

From what I have read on the kits on the market is that the use a typical car type intake fogger and offset the reduced diesel fuel. Diesel is still required for the ignition and lubrication but reducing the volume to 30-50% and using propane to make up the difference.

I have converted my toyota camry, dodge ram 1500, 17hp riding mower, 12hp generator to run on propane since the cost is approximately 50% of the cost of gasoline. I also qualify for 50% state tax credit for conversion costs. I already have many extra propane parts, tanks, hoses, valves, etc that are not being put to good use.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM
80broncoman 80broncoman is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: southeren Oh
Posts: 774
80broncoman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not any electronics on Injectors in 87 on a 7.8L.
look at his page.
Low buck diesel power - Home

The person that has that page is memeber here nevrnufhp
__________________
GM=Got Mechanic?

77 F-150 4X4 400/4sp
80 Bronc 300/4sp
89 F-450 7.3/5sp rollback
94 F-700 5.9/6spd (camper/hauler project)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-13-2013, 12:46 PM
imabass imabass is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 24
imabass is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the info. So it appears that it is possible to reduce the injector pressure and offset diesel with LPG but the fuel adjustment is a manual process. With that being said, if you were on the road and run out of LPG, you cannot simply hit a button to return to 100% diesel. Starting to sound like a potential PITA. Typically this truck would never go outside of the range of the LPG capacity but that one time I do, I could have a long day on the side of the road.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-13-2013, 04:17 PM
80broncoman 80broncoman is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: southeren Oh
Posts: 774
80broncoman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imabass View Post
Thanks for the info. So it appears that it is possible to reduce the injector pressure and offset diesel with LPG but the fuel adjustment is a manual process. With that being said, if you were on the road and run out of LPG, you cannot simply hit a button to return to 100% diesel. Starting to sound like a potential PITA. Typically this truck would never go outside of the range of the LPG capacity but that one time I do, I could have a long day on the side of the road.
I'll throw another curve ball at you. on some injection pumps (I have no idea about the 7.8's pump)the fuel flowing though it is the ONLY thing that cools and lubes the pump.So if you cut back on the fuel volume you have just also cut its lube and coolant as well.
For cheaper pennies per mile I'd look into Waste Veg Oil or Waste Engine Oil as fuels before I'd go with propane.
__________________
GM=Got Mechanic?

77 F-150 4X4 400/4sp
80 Bronc 300/4sp
89 F-450 7.3/5sp rollback
94 F-700 5.9/6spd (camper/hauler project)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 PM
imabass imabass is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 24
imabass is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80broncoman View Post
I'll throw another curve ball at you. on some injection pumps (I have no idea about the 7.8's pump)the fuel flowing though it is the ONLY thing that cools and lubes the pump.So if you cut back on the fuel volume you have just also cut its lube and coolant as well.
For cheaper pennies per mile I'd look into Waste Veg Oil or Waste Engine Oil as fuels before I'd go with propane.
Good to know. I was thinking LPG because I get it in bulk at home. I fill my current cars/truck and equipment at home and fill for about $1.5/gal. waste oil would be another thing for me to buy and store and not really worth it. I converted my pickup for about $400 so the cost is minimal and significantly offsets the fuel cost.

I have read where LPG runs more efficiently in a higher compression diesel vs a traditional gasoline car.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2013, 05:18 PM
imabass imabass is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 24
imabass is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80broncoman View Post
I'll throw another curve ball at you. on some injection pumps (I have no idea about the 7.8's pump)the fuel flowing though it is the ONLY thing that cools and lubes the pump.So if you cut back on the fuel volume you have just also cut its lube and coolant as well.
For cheaper pennies per mile I'd look into Waste Veg Oil or Waste Engine Oil as fuels before I'd go with propane.

Now that I thought about this.... if you reduce your pressure, would the pump not pump the same amount of fuel then return the excess to the tank? Thus having the same amount of fuel for cooling?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-15-2013, 01:07 AM
80broncoman 80broncoman is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: southeren Oh
Posts: 774
80broncoman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imabass View Post
Now that I thought about this.... if you reduce your pressure, would the pump not pump the same amount of fuel then return the excess to the tank? Thus having the same amount of fuel for cooling?
I should mentioned this. If I remember correctly mechanical injectors inject when the pressure reaches a preset amount. Yo turn the power up and down I believe you need to change the volume of fuel not the fuel pressure.
At least That is the way I remember it being explained to me 15 years a go when I watched my 89's 7.3 injectors get tested.

Whether or not the return fuel line cools the pump would depend on the route it takes by or though the pump.
__________________
GM=Got Mechanic?

77 F-150 4X4 400/4sp
80 Bronc 300/4sp
89 F-450 7.3/5sp rollback
94 F-700 5.9/6spd (camper/hauler project)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-15-2013, 04:48 PM
nevrenufhp's Avatar
nevrenufhp nevrenufhp is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 2,263
nevrenufhp has a good reputation on FTE.nevrenufhp has a good reputation on FTE.nevrenufhp has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80broncoman View Post
I should mentioned this. If I remember correctly mechanical injectors inject when the pressure reaches a preset amount. Yo turn the power up and down I believe you need to change the volume of fuel not the fuel pressure.
At least That is the way I remember it being explained to me 15 years a go when I watched my 89's 7.3 injectors get tested.

Whether or not the return fuel line cools the pump would depend on the route it takes by or though the pump.
Yes, that is correct. If you lower the pressure available to the pump, you will have incomplete injection, and lots of white smoke. For diesels, the propane fogger is a power supplement, and only comes on at a certain boost level. I have a youtube video on how to adjust the fuel rate(listed as a bosch mw pump). Increasing the fuel rate, added with a propane kit will make a great jump in power. Cutting back the fuel rate will likely cause driveability issues(taking forever to get rolling).
__________________
Dale.
turn up diesel fuel rate site of mine
67 F100, 300, 4spd, Offy 'C', Edelbrock 500, 274*/.518" cam, heddder.
98 Jetta VR6
82 Mercedes 300SD, fuel screw adjusted.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:48 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
99 OEM Propane Dual Fuel E250 Van: Presale Questions Looking Up 1968-2013 Full Size Vans 8 07-21-2009 12:19 AM
Is Propane or water/MEOH Injection worthwhile? thedaddycat Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels 7 04-05-2008 01:42 PM
Propane/Diesel Combined In '08 E-350 W/6.0 vincewood30 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 1 11-18-2007 02:51 PM
Propane Curious FordTrucksKickGM Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage 6 09-06-2007 10:21 PM
propane enrichment? MilesFox Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels 1 09-27-2006 01:54 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Large Truck

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup