1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

cab dolly for removing the cab

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 717 Likes on 257 Posts
cab dolly for removing the cab

I'm meandering up on the point to remove the cab for paint and work under the cab. I searched the site for 'cab dollies' and found a few idea and copied what I liked... here's my dolly with measurements and details.

all 2x4 and 2x6 lumber screwed and strong-tied together... used what I had available. H.F. 3" hard wheels caught on sale. all 4 are casters

had to build the uprights a little high to clear the fender bottoms that are attached to the cab. Because of that added height I might have to raise or add a cross piece at the back to level out the cab in the back

We'll use this to finish off the body work on the cab and will roll it gently onto it's back to finish up the cab bottom, seal it up and apply undercoat/bed liner. Then back on the dolly for transport to paint shop and booth... truck will be totally disassembled for paint then reassembled after. When the cab and bed are removed the frame will be touched up from the changes I've made, items I've added and misc scratches and bumps in the shop. While parts are off for paint I'll do final work on frame, add engine/trans/exhaust system/etc.

A rolling chassis should be ready for reassembly when the body parts return...

Now, this ain't happening next week, but sooner than it's ever been.. we move at a astonishing glacial rate.

j

Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks like it will work!

I built a "gimble" to work on truck cabs and beds. Sure makes body work a lot easier!

Attached Images    
Old 06-11-2013, 10:16 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Beautiful build on the dolly, John.
I used a couple of small dollies I had in the shop. A stripped cab is easy to handle by one person when the cab is off the truck. At 150 lbs soaking wet, and older than most on here, I have no trouble lifting one side of the cab off or on the dolly. I easily removed the cab from the dollies, one side at a time. By using two dollies, it is easy to lift one side and position the dolly under it. The cab can easily be tilted onto the front, back, cowl or either side. I used a heavy blanket for padding and tilted the cab onto the side. The cab can be blocked in just about any position to work on. In the picture, you can see one of the dollies positioned under the cab.

Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
I'm meandering up on the point to remove the cab for paint and work under the cab. I searched the site for 'cab dollies' and found a few idea and copied what I liked... here's my dolly with measurements and details.

all 2x4 and 2x6 lumber screwed and strong-tied together... used what I had available. H.F. 3" hard wheels caught on sale. all 4 are casters

had to build the uprights a little high to clear the fender bottoms that are attached to the cab. Because of that added height I might have to raise or add a cross piece at the back to level out the cab in the back

j

Gee, that looks mighty familiar...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ml#post9622029

They say copying is the best form of flattery. Remind me to talk to you about a licensing agreement.

Glad I was helpful.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Indybeer
Laughing Gas
Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts
I used a pallet which fits perfectly under the cab and somce 4X4's all bolted together with castors...make it real nice to move around. Not the best pics.... but you get the idea.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:12 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 466 Likes on 302 Posts
Looks good John...one question, what supports the rear of the cab?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:57 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
charlie,

the rear edge of the cab will rest on the 2x6's. I mentioned I might have to add a little more under the rear to level the cab on the dolly because of the height of the front uprights... will know in a little bit... I'm going out to take the cab off now !

Wayne, as soon as the money comes in.... your check will be in the mail :-)

j

Old 06-11-2013, 02:18 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 466 Likes on 302 Posts
I used a 2x4 on the back that fits snugly into the rear cab mounting pockets. I have built at least six of them now and this seems to work well. One thing I did learn, don't use pnuematic tires...it really makes the steering difficult.

Attached Images   
Old 06-11-2013, 04:55 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Well after 5 hours, here we are...

the cab is copping a squat on it's own little dolly

and it's little rear is resting nicely on the 2x6 as planned

the frame is all nekkid again and ready for some touch up work

then I decided to build a mock up frame to mount the bed on so when the frame is out getting dressed up I can still work on bed wood mock up

son in law is coming over after supper to help me finish setting the bed on it's temporary home

I'm tired...

j

Old 06-11-2013, 09:05 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
It looks like you've had a full and productive day. The cab stand came out perfect. Nice work.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:30 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
thanks Wayne.

it's the next morning and I'm so sore I can hardly move... tough duty for an old SS receipient

j

Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Say John, where'd you source those inner bed fender wells?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:36 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Oh, and good work on the dolly. I have some way-overkill castors for when I get ready to build mine. But by the time I'm ready I hope my brother has Dad's '67 fastback off the rotisserie.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:24 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Originally Posted by vintage56
Say John, where'd you source those inner bed fender wells?
???? I think what you see is the lower part of the fenders that are attached to the cab

Old 06-14-2013, 02:21 PM
vintage56
Elder User
No man. In the bed sides you have the express bed style radiused inner wheel wells like on the old wider f250 f350 beds...

Quick Reply: cab dolly for removing the cab