Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > New England Region > Connecticut Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Connecticut Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: StreamlineGT

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 PM
New User

Nickygunz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel mechanic shop near Danbury

Picked up a 96 PSD and since the winter its been having starting issues. When it was cold it would not start at all. Once it got warmer if I spray a little starter fluid in the air filter it starts up and runs fine, but wont start without the starter fluid. I want to play around with it a bit to see if I can fix it, but if that fails can anyone recommend a good diesel shop near the Danbury area, I don't know much about diesel and generally hate going to mechanic, can't trust many of them. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Non-smoker

7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future
Stop with the starting fluid immediately before you ruin that engine.

Test to see if you have power to the large post on the drivers side of the glow plug relay.

The glow plug relay is the large relay just behind the fuel bowl to the left if you're standing in front of the truck looking into the engine bay.
-Pete, PAA member #84
Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket View Post
Stop with the starting fluid immediately before you ruin that engine. .
Thanks for the suggestion, ill test the GPR.

I was hesitant to use the starter fluid but read through some forums and picked up one with upper cylinder lubricant and only gave it a quick 1 sec shot. I've only done this about 4 times since December.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Non-smoker

7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickygunz View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, ill test the GPR.

I was hesitant to use the starter fluid but read through some forums and picked up one with upper cylinder lubricant and only gave it a quick 1 sec shot. I've only done this about 4 times since December.
Wording in the original post made it sound like it was a daily thing.

I've seen 7.3s ruined by starting fluid and the compression #s aren't pretty. I'd be willing to bet the problem is glow plugs or glow plug relay. Most likely the relay.
-Pete, PAA member #84
Old 06-17-2013, 09:55 PM
New User

Finally got around to replacing the GPR but no luck, still no start. I am thinking its a fuel problem.

Anyone have any local CT shops they have taken thier PSD to, I want to get the truck back up and running this summer.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Non-smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickygunz View Post
Finally got around to replacing the GPR but no luck, still no start. I am thinking its a fuel problem.

Anyone have any local CT shops they have taken thier PSD to, I want to get the truck back up and running this summer.
Diesel shop, LLC in Preston does good work.
-Pete, PAA member #84
Old 06-18-2013, 04:53 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > New England Region > Connecticut Chapter