Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Supercharger, Turbocharger, Nitrous Oxide & Water/Methanol Injection
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Freshman User

78Jimmy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rear Mount Turbo 1997 4.6L

I've been reading some of the posts and have a few questions regarding this setup.

Background on the truck. Low km 1997 4.6L Expedition, stock engine with the following upgrades; Throttle Body Spacer, K&N, SCT programmer, and just ordered headers.

I'm looking to reduce the engine load on my 4.6L with the addition of a Turbo, hoping for a little MPG gain as well.

The rear mount is intreguing as it's out of the way, and will give me that little extra. Currently when I tow my trailer I have a pretty good engine load, and would like to reduce it.

Goals - As this is a stock bottom end, I am looking for 7-9 psi, and a reliable truck. Not something that will be used for racing. I tow a trailer, and haul the family around.

So question period;
- When you rear mount a turbo, is it possible to route the intake up, as I assume the closer the better, what is the drawback?
- Skidplate? I live in Canada, and am concerned that snow, debri will hit the Turbo, or the snow will crack it.

Cost is a concern, so I will be building this myself. So, reference material or recommendations are appreciated.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Posting Guru

Ziegelsteinfaust is starting off with a positive reputation.
I want a turbo engine bad, and I have looked into the rear mount. Luckily I got to meet a couple of people who have it along the way.

The lag is not that bad just slightly more then a normal set-up.

As for water in the intake you can put a filter sock over it, and that keeps water from just getting it. Plus also sand and excess dirt.

Turbos are designed for being hit with water, and not crack. If you have a turbo Saab water will still hits the turbo, but its turbo is a few hundred degrees hotter then a rear mount.

I don't know enough of how snow collects under a vehicle to say anything, but you could probably block off an area sufficiently for the turbo.

Lastly put it as close to you engine as possible. This way you reduce lag greatly by keeping the thermal efficiency high.

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Old 06-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Senior User

stoffer is starting off with a positive reputation.
lag, has a lot to do with sizing (A/R, pipe, turbo, motor, etc)
Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 AM
Freshman User

78Jimmy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good to know.. Yes, sizing will be a challenge.. I hate buying things twice due to mistakes..

With a turbo system, would it be better removing the cat's? This wouldn't really allow me to get the turbo closer, however would free up the exhaust system.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Supercharger, Turbocharger, Nitrous Oxide & Water/Methanol Injection