1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

No Start, No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Mac III
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Start, No Spark

I have a 2002 e150.
4.2 V6.
It was running fine, went to start it and it turn over fine but won't start. I figured fuel right off and removed the air cleaner assembly and did the starter fluid trick and got nothing as far as start up.
I started spark testing the plugs, checked 3 and had no spark at any of them.
I had a new starter installed about 2 weeks ago and a new coil pack installed about 2 months ago. I went to fuses for further investigating. First the power distribution box, pulled all the fuses for ignition and even fuel because I was there. All the fuses are good. I don't know how to check the Black square looking relays. Went under dash inside the van and checked those too. All good.

I had this problem a few weeks ago a couple days after the starter was installed. But after several hours the van started right up and has run fine
since. Both times though, it had rained the day before. Everything I have examined though, nothing is wet or damp.

I'm at a loss for what could be wrong and would very much appreciate any help out there. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Hotairjunkie
Senior User
It certainly sounds like a coil issue. I would be testing the coil. If you have output from the coil, then the problem is somewhere between the coil and the distributor. If you have no output from the coil, but you have power to the coil, than it is either a bad coil or a bad ground. If you have no power to the coil, then you'll have to work it back up the line from there to figure out where you are losing the power.

Given that you just had work done recently (starter and coil), I would double check all of the connections that might have been involved with that work. I don't know the 4.6L engine myself, but I'd bet that you have a lose connection somewhere, very possibly a ground.

Let us know what you find...

Old 06-11-2013, 04:47 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Hotairjunkie
It certainly sounds like a coil issue. I would be testing the coil. If you have output from the coil, then the problem is somewhere between the coil and the distributor. If you have no output from the coil, but you have power to the coil, than it is either a bad coil or a bad ground. If you have no power to the coil, then you'll have to work it back up the line from there to figure out where you are losing the power.
his engine uses a coil pack and not a distributor. that means 8 coils in one place, each with a plug wire going to the plug it serves.

i would suspect the crank position sensor.

plug in an OBD2 scanner, check for codes, and if no codes are present, tell it to watch engine speed while you crank the engine (if possible). if you can do this test without the scanner cutting out, you should have a reading of something greater than zero if the CPS is working. a constant zero reading on that means that sensor isn't getting a signal to the computer. if your van has a tachometer, the scanner isn't necessary for this test, just watch for the needle to respond

Old 06-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Mac III
New User
Originally Posted by Hotairjunkie

Given that you just had work done recently (starter and coil), I would double check all of the connections that might have been involved with that work. I don't know the 4.6L engine myself, but I'd bet that you have a lose connection somewhere, very possibly a ground.

Let us know what you find...
Thanks for the advice but the 2002 4.2 doesn't have a distributor. It has an ignition coil. Wish it did have a distributor, Lol, that I can understand.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Mac III
New User
Originally Posted by joshofalltrades

i would suspect the crank position sensor.

plug in an OBD2 scanner, check for codes, and if no codes are present, tell it to watch engine speed while you crank the engine (if possible). if you can do this test without the scanner cutting out, you should have a reading of something greater than zero if the CPS is working. a constant zero reading on that means that sensor isn't getting a signal to the computer. if your van has a tachometer, the scanner isn't necessary for this test, just watch for the needle to respond
Thanks Josh, I have the same suspicions. But I don't get any codes at all and my cheap OBDII is a piece of crap. Hard to understand why they hid this CKP sensor behind the AC condenser when the whole rear of the engine is accessible.
If anyone knows of a way to check this sensor I'd appreciate the advice.
I am also confused and would like to know the procedures to test these sensors because I see the Cam Sensor could possibly be the culprit too.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Hotairjunkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by joshofalltrades
his engine uses a coil pack and not a distributor. that means 8 coils in one place, each with a plug wire going to the plug it serves.
10-4 on the coil pack vs. distributor...told you I don't know the 4.6L...but at least I know that it is a 6 cylinder LOL.

It sounds like Josh has you pointed in the right direction. But still, distributer or coil pack, I'd still be checking for a bad ground or loose connection from the previous work as well.

Cheers and good luck!

Bruce