General Automotive Discussion

Need help with motorcycle decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 11:20 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Would you consider a dual sport bike?

The reason I ask, is I recommend them to anyone who is interested in starting to ride - They are
  • available cheap
  • usually designed to be dropped (if its your first bike, it is going to happen - better it happens with a bike that can withstand it)
  • 650 singles usually have enough power to get you going, enough to cruise at 70-75 on the freeway, but not that much that they are dangerous
  • Really reliable, and parts are really cheap
  • Their upright seating is comfortable to ride for some distance
  • Can fit taller guys really well

I would look at a 2008+ KLR650

Old 06-25-2013, 11:48 AM
damarble
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a great suggestion BigF350. I agree, look into a KLR. To add to his list of benefits the fuel economy is pretty good too. After a year or two when you're more experienced and have better idea what you want/need in a bike you can upgrade.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got a Victory cruiser type bike and got tired of driving past logging roads etc and wondering what was up them so I bought a KLR 650 and so far I really like it
It is much easier to ride around town, and more fun, than the Victory.
It also seems to get really good gas mileage and is way cheaper to insure than the Victory.
With a set of crash bars such as from SW Motech you can lay it over without doing much damage.
Like they say there are 2 kinds of riders ...... those that have crashed and those that are going to so make sure you factor in buying a good helmet, gloves, boots etc.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:12 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Well I never thought about a dual-sport bike. Hm...

I did go out and test drove the guy I work with Yamaha VStar 650. First time driving a bike. The clutch was an issue because I kept stalling BUT I finally got a handle of it. I got up to 45 MPH. I can say it was a little heavy. I had a time going up a shoulder though when I was turning around. The grass was slick and I kept rolling back..kept stalling the bike too but I finally got up the hill. I need more practice though.

Folks said I need to go take the Beginners Course for $250..I'm considering it BUT I do want a bike. I like it.

People say get a car but it isn't fun to me. I'm a tall guy and cars make me feel cramped.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeep wrangler is very similar to a bike. I have plenty of room and get great mileage with the 4 cylinder. Park it almost anywhere.

A motorcycle does not like offroad. The tires are made for on pavement. Dirt roads are very uneasy also.

The KLR is good advice. Very lite and easy to maneuver.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:41 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
First Today, you silly Rabbit, Jeeps are for Girls.

LOL.

I'm considering a Dual Sport since they can be used off road (since I will drive down dirtroads as well)

Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 AM
first today
Postmaster

Originally Posted by ManfredVonRichtofen
First Today, you silly Rabbit, Jeeps are for Girls.

LOL.

I'm considering a Dual Sport since they can be used off road (since I will drive down dirtroads as well)
You know... That is what a mechanic friend of mine says. He drives a big blazer with 400 horse motor. He also drives a Lexus sc coupe.

He is always telling me it is a girly jeep. I laugh and tell him, "Look how many women want to ride in my Jeep, no one asks to ride in your Lexus or blazer."

I just bought another Jeep last week to flip for cash. He threw a fit that our friend did not call him first. Last night he was on the phone using my Jeep as a phone booth. Looked like a little kid making vroooom noises behind the wheel.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a suggestion, but if you want a GREAT bike at an affordable price, look into a Yamaha FJ 1200/FJ 1300 or some variant of them. They have been around forever, are dead reliable, get great mileage (my '86 FJ1200 once got 52 mpg freeway @70+, but typically got 45mpg @70+) and are quite comfy. They made them for years and they have a low center of gravity for nice low speed manners, look sporty and they made enough of them over the years that they are quite affordable. Plus, most were purchased by adults, so they were usually babied. They also have a very, very linear torque curve which makes them sooooo easy to take off at stop lights with no fuss and ride like a luxury car. The pegs are low enough to be very comfy, the bars are perfect and the seat is wide and comfy. I emptied the tank in one sitting on mine many times with no "monkey butt" ever. They are absolutely worth a look.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:32 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Originally Posted by first today
You know... That is what a mechanic friend of mine says. He drives a big blazer with 400 horse motor. He also drives a Lexus sc coupe.

He is always telling me it is a girly jeep. I laugh and tell him, "Look how many women want to ride in my Jeep, no one asks to ride in your Lexus or blazer."

I just bought another Jeep last week to flip for cash. He threw a fit that our friend did not call him first. Last night he was on the phone using my Jeep as a phone booth. Looked like a little kid making vroooom noises behind the wheel.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 PM
first today
Postmaster

Sooooo glad I do not look like that.

I did ride a ruckus the other day though. I would rather a few people push me down the highway on a barstool than ride one of those everyday. The seat was below my knees.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
What is a ruckus? Ruckus is my neck of the woods means a quarrel, loud noise.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:48 PM
first today
Postmaster

Not the same in the riding world. Top speed of about 35 to 45 mph. 130 mpg.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:11 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Racerguy
Like they say there are 2 kinds of riders ...... those that have crashed and those that are going to so make sure you factor in buying a good helmet, gloves, boots etc.
I got my first dirt bike when I was 8 , 3 days later , hit a tree head on . I put 130k on a KZ 1100 . Owned 9 Honda CB 750's . A couple of Gold Wings . Got rear ended by a drunk in an El Camino while riding a 650 Suzuki . I have had over 200 stitches and 50 or so stapels and a few broken bones because of bike wrecks ( most while sober and other peoples fault ), and now do not ride my street bike .Only ride my 4 wheeler around the farm . Sold my last dirt bike , only have a CB 550 Honda for a bike now . Which sits in the barn .

Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Years ago, I ended up in the hospitaL ICU from a dirt bike accident. Shattered collarbone, severe abrasions (ground my right nipple off!) and internal bleeding (is peeing blood normal?) I swore off motocross forever and sold my bike and brand-new riding gear to pay for some hospital bills. On the way back to the hospital a few days later to get the dressing changed on my abrasions, I was in severe pain and told my wife (who was driving) that if she ever saw me throw a leg over another dirt bike to kick me in the f'n head, I was through. Wanna know something funny? I sold my dirtbike and stuff to buy another streetbike, after all they are safer. My evil dirtbike crap was purchased by a guy who was swearing off pavement forever to get a "safer" dirtbike! A few years later I bought a bigger, faster dirtbike and never had a serious crash, even though I rode it faster. Sold it, bought a quad to ride in the dunes and am now looking to buy another killer dirtbike so I can hand the quad onto my son. At 51, I often dream of riding one of today's sportbikes to see how far they have come in the 20 years since I've owned one. Life is about fun experiences, not taking the safe route. Buy what you love, be reasonable and see what happens.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:01 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,294 Posts
One thing I noticed about rocks, trees, dropoffs, ruts--they don't drink or text or turn left in front of you. You might hit them, but they won't swerve into YOU.

Quick Reply: Need help with motorcycle decision