Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

A long time coming 1949 F-1 Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 01:24 PM
blue49f1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A long time coming 1949 F-1 Project

This is a 1949 F-1 that I got in the early 1980's. I have kept it pretty well protected over the years so it hasn't gotten much worse over the time than it was. I am finally getting to the point that I can devote some time to it. Over the years I have been collecting many parts for it and have most of the big things required to do it. I hope to build it to look more or less stock on the outside, but it will have a '92 Mustang GT engine (w/all of the electronics), AODE transmission and a 2004 Mustang GT rear axle with disc brakes, 3:27 gear with track-lock. The front suspension will be a Volare style out of a 1985 Diplomat. I will be posting pics and commentary as time allows.

Here are two pics of my first 1949 F1. I started on it when I was 15 years old.

http://s708.photobucket.com/user/rci...tml?sort=3&o=1
http://s708.photobucket.com/user/rci...tml?sort=3&o=0

Old 06-09-2013, 04:45 PM
R. Victor
Junior User
Wink

blue49f1, great looking 1949 truck. Good luck with the next one! Unlike you, at the age of 15 I was just learning about cars but somewhere shortly thereafter they were replaced by girls. I think all of you may be familiar with the old saying "If it has T-ts or Tires you will have problems with it. So true on both accounts! ron

Old 06-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
I love the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a great truck to start with- you are going to have a great ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:41 PM
R. Victor
Junior User
Wink Love them all if they have been restored with dignity

The first car I remember having in our family was a used 1947 4dr Chevy that Dad bought in 1951. Then in 1954 he bought a new Ford Crestline 4dr which became my first car in 1962. 94 Thousand miles on it and other than a slight rear main seal leak it ran fine. I drove it for for 7 months and when Dad traded it in on a 1962 Fairlane 500 it was still running good with 102 thousand on it. Since then I've restored a 1969 Mach 1 390cu, top loader 4 speed--sold to the VP of the Hershey Choclate company, a 1967 modified Courgar with a 428 SCJ engine-- sold to the VP of Marketing at Harrahs, and a 1963 Ford Falcon Futura with a 302cu, 4 speed, 373 posi rear--sold to a friend. All gone now to pay for my daughters weddings. I am on this forum because I am waiting for a 1961 Ford F100 that needs some minor resto at least in the pictures and the info from the seller. It will be delievered for inspection this coming Tuesday or Wednsday. Hope its as good as the pictures indicate and the honesty of the seller because at my age I don't want spend time and money to fix it up. Neither timer nor money is on my side. I have had some very good advice from the members of this forum and love to see what others have done with their projects. Thanks, may God bless you all. I am trying the early 60's Truck and/or ranchero route now! Any suggestions? Best Regards from a conservative, Christian Patriot and ford man. I like all vintage vehicles if they have been fixed or restored properly--even AMC Germlins. You get sentimenatl at my age. ron

Old 06-11-2013, 04:46 PM
blue49f1
New User
Originally Posted by Beechkid
I love the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a great truck to start with- you are going to have a great ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Beechkid I am looking forward to the journey of bringing Henry back to life.
Jim

Old 06-11-2013, 05:36 PM
blue49f1
New User
Originally Posted by R. Victor
blue49f1, great looking 1949 truck. Good luck with the next one! Unlike you, at the age of 15 I was just learning about cars but somewhere shortly thereafter they were replaced by girls. I think all of you may be familiar with the old saying "If it has T-ts or Tires you will have problems with it. So true on both accounts! ron
The first car I remember having in our family was a used 1947 4dr Chevy that Dad bought in 1951. Then in 1954 he bought a new Ford Crestline 4dr which became my first car in 1962. 94 Thousand miles on it and other than a slight rear main seal leak it ran fine. I drove it for for 7 months and when Dad traded it in on a 1962 Fairlane 500 it was still running good with 102 thousand on it. Since then I've restored a 1969 Mach 1 390cu, top loader 4 speed--sold to the VP of the Hershey Choclate company, a 1967 modified Courgar with a 428 SCJ engine-- sold to the VP of Marketing at Harrahs, and a 1963 Ford Falcon Futura with a 302cu, 4 speed, 373 posi rear--sold to a friend. All gone now to pay for my daughters weddings. I am on this forum because I am waiting for a 1961 Ford F100 that needs some minor resto at least in the pictures and the info from the seller. It will be delievered for inspection this coming Tuesday or Wednsday. Hope its as good as the pictures indicate and the honesty of the seller because at my age I don't want spend time and money to fix it up. Neither timer nor money is on my side. I have had some very good advice from the members of this forum and love to see what others have done with their projects. Thanks, may God bless you all. I am trying the early 60's Truck and/or ranchero route now! Any suggestions? Best Regards from a conservative, Christian Patriot and ford man. I like all vintage vehicles if they have been fixed or restored properly--even AMC Germlins. You get sentimenatl at my age. ron
Hey R. Victor, I had plenty of interest in girls. I had it better than most I knew as at 16 I had my own vehicle to drive around while other guys were still riding bicycles. Girls seemed to like that. Anyway, when I was 10 years old my Dad had me help him swap out the flat head V8 in his 1940 Ford pick up. (I think he was probably looking for company more than anything else.) It was a wee hours in the morning deal before we were finished and I was completely worn out, but I had the best time with Dad and that old Ford. I have been hooked on these things ever since. I am with you in liking all old cars if done reasonably well, however Fords are my favorites (I do like me some old Mopars as well!!!). Sounds like you have had some great cars in the past. The '69 Mach I and the '67 Cougar with a 428 SCJ would have been awesome rides!!! I once had a '68 'Stang coupe with the 428 SCJ, Loved that car! I hope the '61 F-100 turns out to be what you are looking for, if so, be sure to share pics of it with us. Back at you with the "Best regards from a conservative Christian Patriot Ford man". We need more of those in our country today.

Jim

Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM
R. Victor
Junior User
Thumbs up Classic Fords & Faith, Family, and Country

Jim, I never was much of machanic, body & Fender man or any other specialty in restoring classics but I have friends in each of these areas that I subed out to. I have a heated/AC garage with a Rotary Lift and three Large portable tools chest with mostly standard size tools since most of the old classics didn't requier metric, although, I have my share of metric also as many aftermarket parts are metric. Because of some recent health issues it has change my selection of what I could have as a classic. I thought I was going to buy this 1961 Ford F100 which from all indications needed very little work if any but today the seller told me he has reconsidered selling it. I am disappointed but I believe that it was not ment to be--maybe a message from above. I have been blessed over the years and have no complaints. Many of my friends never came home form Nam! It is very special to me that I have met you and some others on this forum who not only like classics and are helpful but also share the importance of Standards that made the USA great--Faith, Family, Respect,Responsibility and Patriotism, without these values that were earned by our forefathers(Soldiers&Statesment) we wouldn't have the Freedoms to be able to enjoy our hobby of classic cars or anything else. Still looking for a ride preferrably in an early 60's truck or ranchero. Stay Well my friend. ron

Old 06-12-2013, 04:52 PM
blue49f1
New User
Jim, I never was much of machanic, body & Fender man or any other specialty in restoring classics but I have friends in each of these areas that I subed out to. I have a heated/AC garage with a Rotary Lift and three Large portable tools chest with mostly standard size tools since most of the old classics didn't requier metric, although, I have my share of metric also as many aftermarket parts are metric. Because of some recent health issues it has change my selection of what I could have as a classic. I thought I was going to buy this 1961 Ford F100 which from all indications needed very little work if any but today the seller told me he has reconsidered selling it. I am disappointed but I believe that it was not ment to be--maybe a message from above. I have been blessed over the years and have no complaints. Many of my friends never came home form Nam! It is very special to me that I have met you and some others on this forum who not only like classics and are helpful but also share the importance of Standards that made the USA great--Faith, Family, Respect,Responsibility and Patriotism, without these values that were earned by our forefathers(Soldiers&Statesment) we wouldn't have the Freedoms to be able to enjoy our hobby of classic cars or anything else. Still looking for a ride preferrably in an early 60's truck or ranchero. Stay Well my friend. ron
Hi Ron,
You and I are very similar in our beliefs, I wish there were more of us out there than there seems to be sometimes! It sounds like you are set up pretty well with your place to work and your equipment. (AC in the garage? 'Dang I envy that!!) It is too bad about your '61 prospect falling through, however you may be right about it not bieng meant to be. Possibly, there is better one coming your way in the future (I hope so). I have been a truck mechanic all of my working life (started at 15 years old, I am 65 now) and old cars and pickups have been my major hobby even longer. You have mentioned Ranchero several times, that would make one cool ride!! Years ago I had a '58 Ranchero that I had put a '57 front cap on. Made a sweet looking truck. Good luck with your search and I hope you find a great one.

Take care,
Jim

Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 PM
R. Victor
Junior User
Smile Cool rides and America!

Jim, if you lived near me you could use my garage whenever you needed it. I have done this for many of my fellow classic car/ truck friends. I can no longer physically dedicate the time to do a major project and I can't afford to buy an expensive fully restored one, so I will keep looking with the faith that I will be quided to the right vehicle. I am not sure what they officially consider a Ranchero since it is half car and half truck. On the Interenet I have found it listed under both catagories. You and I share in what I believe is the True Christian American Spirit and we also share the concept to complete a job the right way. I have watched many restorations done by cutting corners and saving time and money but the results in the long run often required repair work later costing more time and money. You have a good background in this hobby and your talent, if used right as you pictures show, will produce something to be proud of and admired. Your truck or car might even be a legacy at some point to a family member. Keep the Faith my friend and when and if I am able to find the right truck or car I will let you know and post it on this forum. I thank all of those members in this forum who have helped me along the way. God Bless America. ron

Old 06-16-2013, 04:42 PM
blue49f1
New User
Ron, that was very nice offering the use of your garage, thank you for the offer. If you are lucky enough to get a Ranchero this site has a place for you under "Ford vans and other vehicles".
Take care,
Jim