6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Weird engine start 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:21 PM
King Kerosin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird engine start 6.0

Hi fellows,

I think I noticed a weird engine start on my 2004 6.0. Maybe it's just normal, though...
I will post a video, so you can imagine what I'm talking about.
View My Video
Thanks for help in advance!

Daniel

Sounds exactly like when you use starting fluid on a diesel engine... Really loud banging and rattling. After it started up, it runs good.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,382 Likes on 2,081 Posts
Is this from a dead cold start and your glow plug light goes out quick. Mine sounds like that if I do not wait for the plugs to warm things up.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:50 AM
King Kerosin
Junior User
I made this Video when the truck sat for about 3 hours.
Even when I start the truck in the morning, the Glow plug light will stay on longer. What I also noticed is, that the truck won't run smoothely in the first 5-10 minutes after cold start, when I'm slightly accelarating. After the truck warmed up once, it runs like it should.
But I will make a cold start video now. If you can call it cold start, with 100 degree F in my garage...

Old 06-09-2013, 09:27 AM
King Kerosin
Junior User
This is "cold" start this morning:
6.0 cold start
The temperature in my garage was 95F.
The weird thing is, that the glow plugs always stay on for 2 seconds or so. Doesn't matter, if cold, or hot.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Any tunes on the truck or stock? History of repairs would help also.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:02 AM
King Kerosin
Junior User
Truck has a tune (bully dog power pup) now, but without it, it's exactly the same problem. The hard start, and the bucking while accelerating slightly.
Can't say too much about recent repairs. I bought the truck 3 weeks ago, and what I did, was an oil change (Shell Rotella T6), and I changed the diesel filter and it's housing in the engine bay. Btw: where is the other diesel filter?
Could it be an injector problem? Or maybe the FICM?

Daniel

Old 06-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
did you use an oem filter and cap when you changed the oil. Did it start like this when you got it 3 weeks ago?

Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Check out and read through our Tech Folder located at the top of the 6.0L forum.

One oil filter is located on the top of the engine, beside that is the upper fuel filter. The second fuel filter is right under your drivers seat mounted on the inside of the frame rail. It is a combined fuel pump, fuel filter, water separator commonly referred to as HFCM or ( Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module) . Click here for reference on OEM Filters and Will Fit filters, that are not recommended

Old 06-09-2013, 07:22 PM
King Kerosin
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mike189677
did you use an oem filter and cap when you changed the oil. Did it start like this when you got it 3 weeks ago?
I used the filter cap, which was mounted. Just replaced the filter, and the o-ring.
I'm not sure, if it started like that, 3 weeks ago. But I think so, yes. I wasn't sure, and I thought/hoped it was normal.

Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Check out and read through our Tech Folder located at the top of the 6.0L forum.

One oil filter is located on the top of the engine, beside that is the upper fuel filter. The second fuel filter is right under your drivers seat mounted on the inside of the frame rail. It is a combined fuel pump, fuel filter, water separator commonly referred to as HFCM or ( Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module) . Click here for reference on OEM Filters and Will Fit filters, that are not recommended
I read the tech folder, but I must have missed that one. Ok, I will replace the HFCM, also.

Thank you all for your help!

Old 06-11-2013, 01:25 PM
King Kerosin
Junior User
Push......

Old 06-11-2013, 01:48 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would wait just a few more seconds when glo plug lite goes out, could be one or more Injects,does it happen when plugged in? also try some revx, you dont have to replace the HCFM just the OEM filter also drain the water while your down there,do you run a fuel add ,like diesel kleen ,howes etc?

Old 06-11-2013, 02:38 PM
King Kerosin
Junior User
Originally Posted by 04badford
I would wait just a few more seconds when glo plug lite goes out, could be one or more Injects,does it happen when plugged in? also try some revx, you dont have to replace the HCFM just the OEM filter also drain the water while your down there,do you run a fuel add ,like diesel kleen ,howes etc?
So you think the glow plugs keep glowing, even when the light is off?
I didn't ever plug it in, it's over 100 F here in NM.
I don"t use any fuel adds.
Ok, I'll drain water tomorrow.
I don't think it is a problem from the glow plugs, since the problem is the same, when the engine is warmed up.
The bucking while slighty accerlarating, is gone, when the engine is warmed up.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:10 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by King Kerosin
So you think the glow plugs keep glowing, even when the light is off?
I didn't ever plug it in, it's over 100 F here in NM.
I don"t use any fuel adds.
Ok, I'll drain water tomorrow.
I don't think it is a problem from the glow plugs, since the problem is the same, when the engine is warmed up.
The bucking while slighty accerlarating, is gone, when the engine is warmed up.
No not the glo plugs staying on but the Injects going out like stiction, I would use some sort of fuel add to help maintain growth and dispersel of water, before driveing even at 100* temps the truck should be well over 80* for the trans sake , have you tryed revx on the oil side of the Injects may or may not help at this point , never know

Old 06-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
One thing with hot climates like Florida, not sure of your humidity, you should use SeaFoam to kill the critters in diesel fuel.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:05 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
One thing with hot climates like Florida, not sure of your humidity, you should use SeaFoam to kill the critters in diesel fuel.
Absolutly,then you mite look into the HFCM,could be growing, most use some sort of algaside but useing diesel kleen , howes, styanidine, in every fill up will help and try to fill at one local truck stop knowing the fuel wont sit long there and your truck likes it. I can tell when I pick up fuel at random station and the truck tells me HEY DUDE this tasts like shlitz I'm use to micro brew

Quick Reply: Weird engine start 6.0