2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Failed Vacuum Brake Pump Assembly

Old 09-05-2014, 03:24 AM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
I think we may have taken over the thread sorry about that.

My repair order says "replaced valve assembly (IWE Solenoid)". I had the service done at 28,100 miles. I now have 54,700 and no noise.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:56 PM
huntnrig
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to keep you all updated on the situation. The noise identified in this video is 100% definitely NOT the vacuum pump. It's the timing chain and tensioners.

Truck is currently at Ford now where it's been for over a week awaiting repairs.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:15 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
That sounds bad. Did they give you any indication why that would happen? Did you find and fix the noise while under power?

Old 09-19-2014, 01:24 PM
huntnrig
Freshman User
That sounds bad. Did they give you any indication why that would happen?
It's a stretched timing chain... The noise happens during cold starts. Seems to affect trucks just outside warranty period. My truck being only 64,000km is the lowest milage one I have found with this issue. The issue mentioned by the OP in this thread is about the vacuum pump booster, which exhibits a rattle, but it's very different from the one my truck in the video has. So it's important that guys understand the two noises, (if they have either one) because most Ford techs can't seem to tell... I left my truck on a Friday and went monday morning and started it for them, the noise happened, the tech had his head under the hood and said 100% not the vacuum pump. It came from inside the block.

This thread below is from the F-150 Forum and has many with the same issue.

2011 ecoboost noise on start up - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Did you find and fix the noise while under power?
No... That one, the Ford technician seems to think might be related to the timing chain because the timing would be off on the motor. He said that could be the cause of all my symptoms, especially on a motor with turbos.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:28 PM
saleen322
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake Issue

I found this thread on a search. About a week ago when the weather was below zero, I had warmed the truck up for about 3 minutes and pulled out. When I pressed the brakes, there was no whoa...

The brakes are fine in a minute or two and they are fine when the truck is off and sets for just a couple of minutes and then is restarted. My warranty is up in a week so I made an appointment to get it checked out before the warranty expires. Thanks much for the heads up about the pump as I mentioned it specifically to the dealer. I will let you all know how I make out.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:17 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by saleen322
I found this thread on a search. About a week ago when the weather was below zero, I had warmed the truck up for about 3 minutes and pulled out. When I pressed the brakes, there was no whoa...

The brakes are fine in a minute or two and they are fine when the truck is off and sets for just a couple of minutes and then is restarted. My warranty is up in a week so I made an appointment to get it checked out before the warranty expires. Thanks much for the heads up about the pump as I mentioned it specifically to the dealer. I will let you all know how I make out.
Definitely keep us posted, saleen322. How many miles do you have on the truck? I'll see what I can do to help.

Crystal

Old 03-12-2015, 12:00 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 03-12-2015, 11:49 PM
saleen322
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by FordService
Definitely keep us posted, saleen322. How many miles do you have on the truck? I'll see what I can do to help.

Crystal
Crystal,
First, thank you for the reply. The truck has about 13,600 miles on it and I think that is a lot of the issue. I think sitting and not running is harder on the pump than it being run daily. I use it as a truck; to haul, tow and a lot in the winter due to the heavy snow in my area. It is not my normal daily transportation.

I had to work today but there was a message on the machine saying the problem is the pump and they believe the new pump will be in tomorrow. Also, I had some issues with the clearcoat lifting on my wheels and bless the dealership they photographed the wheels and Ford is replacing them under warranty! I have been a Ford guy for a long time buying my first Ford, a 1971 Mach I in 1976 and I can't say how many since then. Every maker can have a less than perfect vehicle get out but how they handle that is how you judge the manufacturer. I have to recognize Tristar Ford in Tyrone PA for their great service and you can bet they have a life-long customer based on how they took care of me. Despite this hiccup, I am very happy with my F150 and I plan on keeping it for quite a while longer--it pulls like a beast! However, I do have a VW that I will be replacing and I will be heading to Tyrone for that one.................

Old 03-13-2015, 11:07 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Crystal,
First, thank you for the reply. The truck has about 13,600 miles on it and I think that is a lot of the issue. I think sitting and not running is harder on the pump than it being run daily. I use it as a truck; to haul, tow and a lot in the winter due to the heavy snow in my area. It is not my normal daily transportation.

I had to work today but there was a message on the machine saying the problem is the pump and they believe the new pump will be in tomorrow. Also, I had some issues with the clearcoat lifting on my wheels and bless the dealership they photographed the wheels and Ford is replacing them under warranty! I have been a Ford guy for a long time buying my first Ford, a 1971 Mach I in 1976 and I can't say how many since then. Every maker can have a less than perfect vehicle get out but how they handle that is how you judge the manufacturer. I have to recognize Tristar Ford in Tyrone PA for their great service and you can bet they have a life-long customer based on how they took care of me. Despite this hiccup, I am very happy with my F150 and I plan on keeping it for quite a while longer--it pulls like a beast! However, I do have a VW that I will be replacing and I will be heading to Tyrone for that one.................
Thank you for your loyalty to Ford, saleen322! It sounds like your dealership is treating you like gold, but if there's anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask.

Crystal

Old 03-13-2015, 11:14 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 434 Likes on 319 Posts
Looks like I'm having this issue now. It's not bad yet, I'm going to see if I can get a quote from a local dealer. I'm a long way out of warranty, so maybe I'll be replacing this myself. We'll see.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:36 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Looks like I'm having this issue now. It's not bad yet, I'm going to see if I can get a quote from a local dealer. I'm a long way out of warranty, so maybe I'll be replacing this myself. We'll see.
The part number is BRPV-10 if you would like to price out that pump yourself to see which dealer will give you the best price.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:39 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 434 Likes on 319 Posts
Well, I did get myself a quote from one dealer. Part is $255 plus 1.5 hours at $165/hour is $247, with tax that'll be $527. I will be calling around, and probably installing this myself.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:07 PM
saleen322
Cross-Country
Update

Just got a call from the Ford dealer. The pump was received and it is on. Only 1 wheel came in Monday but the other 3 arrived yesterday. The dealer stated the rear brakes were really worn and he was not sure if that was related to the lack of power brake assist. In any case, the dealership said if I cover new rear brake pads, they will cover the labor. The truck should be done tomorrow. I am very happy with how I was treated.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:57 PM
jntibs
Junior User
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Well, I did get myself a quote from one dealer. Part is $255 plus 1.5 hours at $165/hour is $247, with tax that'll be $527. I will be calling around, and probably installing this myself.
I've watched an install video on this, it's a pretty easy fix, not much to it.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Just got a call from the Ford dealer. The pump was received and it is on. Only 1 wheel came in Monday but the other 3 arrived yesterday. The dealer stated the rear brakes were really worn and he was not sure if that was related to the lack of power brake assist. In any case, the dealership said if I cover new rear brake pads, they will cover the labor. The truck should be done tomorrow. I am very happy with how I was treated.
Awesome news, saleen322! If you'd like me to document your feedback about this dealership, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, dealership details, and any specifics you'd like me to include. I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Failed Vacuum Brake Pump Assembly