1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

4WD Dually, Front axle options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 02:26 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
4WD Dually, Front axle options?

I just bought an 86 2WD Dually Crew Cab. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this truck yet, there are some title issues. What I want to do and what it's worth will factor into what I do to solve the title issues.

So sitting in my garage is a D50TTB front end from an 88. Thinking I might convert it to 4wd, but can a D50TTB work in a dually, was there ever D50TTB dually hubs made?. Was it ever done factory or from an original modifier. Or if I want to make it 4wd do I really need to use a D60. I'll admit I don't know much about 80-86 options but didn't even the most heavy duty 4wd pickups get the TTB? So if a 4wd dually was made in any form back then wouldn't it have had a TTB stock?

Secondly I'd figure the rarity and coolness of a truck like this would make it pretty valuable. What say you? I'm sure the engine will mater a lot on value, it's currently a 460/C6 But I also have an IDI of unknown condition and will soon have an extra 4wd diesel C6. Additionally what you think has more value a SRW or DRW? I can trade out the axle with another I have, what I don't have is a SRW bullnose bed.

Do I dare incur the wrath of parting this truck out, I know Crew-cab bullnoses are hard to come by. But I need to be dollars ahead on this truck in the long run. If it costs me too much to straighten out the title issues I might have to.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
You can make a dually out of a dana 50 ttb, the hubs are the same as a dana 60, so the dually adapters will fit on the dana 50 ttb. The dually 4x4 front axles/adapter setups are only found on the chassis-cab trucks, they were the only ones with dually wheels and 4x4 in the early years, till the superduty trucks came out in about 99.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:12 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
I've been looking around this forum and I don't think I have seen a single 4WD bullnose dually. Anyone have one or even know of one?

Old 06-07-2013, 12:35 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Old 06-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by BruteFord
I just bought an 86 2WD Dually Crew Cab. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this truck yet, there are some title issues. What I want to do and what it's worth will factor into what I do to solve the title issues.

So sitting in my garage is a D50TTB front end from an 88. Thinking I might convert it to 4wd, but can a D50TTB work in a dually, was there ever D50TTB dually hubs made?. Was it ever done factory or from an original modifier. Or if I want to make it 4wd do I really need to use a D60. I'll admit I don't know much about 80-86 options but didn't even the most heavy duty 4wd pickups get the TTB? So if a 4wd dually was made in any form back then wouldn't it have had a TTB stock?

Secondly I'd figure the rarity and coolness of a truck like this would make it pretty valuable. What say you? I'm sure the engine will mater a lot on value, it's currently a 460/C6 But I also have an IDI of unknown condition and will soon have an extra 4wd diesel C6. Additionally what you think has more value a SRW or DRW? I can trade out the axle with another I have, what I don't have is a SRW bullnose bed.

Do I dare incur the wrath of parting this truck out, I know Crew-cab bullnoses are hard to come by. But I need to be dollars ahead on this truck in the long run. If it costs me too much to straighten out the title issues I might have to.
The only 4wd duallys made prior to 99' were cab-n-chassis
A 4wd dually pickup was not offered from the factory.
The D50 TTB was used from 1980-85.5 in All F350s weather they were a 4wd pickup or 4wd cab-n-chassis. The cab-n-chassis was the same axle, but with the dually hubs(the same hubs that the Dana 60 got)

As far as value, that will be up to who ever would buy it. To be, you could keep your IDI, I will NEVER run another one. I will take the 6-9MPG from a 460 any day over the GUTTLESS IDI(turbo or not) with problemmatic air intrusion and parts availability issues.

As for dually over SRW, again, it would be up tot he buyer. I know a lot of people that you could not GIVE a dually to, but they would spend big money on a SRW. It also goes the other way. But your biggest limiting factor is that it is an 86. Lets face it, other than the small group of us here, the bull nose is not a very popular body style.

Honestly a Clean crewcab 2wd 86 is worth about 1000--1500
The same truck in 4wd would only be worth about 2000-4000

Old 06-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Apparently it hasn't sunk in yet. Like was explained in the previous post(maybe you missed it in my first post) that truck you are looking at in that link is not original. Ford never made a truck like that for the general public, they never made a 4x4 dually PICKUP. And you can't put a pickup bed on a cab and chassis pickup that did come 4x4 dually.

You can make what you want, just like the guy in the picture did.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:09 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Apparently it hasn't sunk in yet. Like was explained in the previous post(maybe you missed it in my first post) that truck you are looking at in that link is not original. Ford never made a truck like that for the general public, they never made a 4x4 dually PICKUP. And you can't put a pickup bed on a cab and chassis pickup that did come 4x4 dually.

You can make what you want, just like the guy in the picture did.
Wow nice attitude, I'm rather new around here but is it standard practice for moderators to infer that posters are stupid when we apparently ask too many of the wrong questions? Or as in this case they(the mod) just don't understand what was asked.

If you don't care to help, why post at all? Just to be insulting?

I know that FORD never made a dually 4WD PICKUP. But FORD DID make 4WD dually CnCs and there were modifiers like centurion that DID take NEW Fords and make 4WD duallies. This is why I asked;
... Was it ever done factory or from an original modifier. Or if I want to make it 4wd do I really need to use a D60. I'll admit I don't know much about 80-86 options but didn't even the most heavy duty 4wd pickups get the TTB? So if a 4wd dually was made in any form back then wouldn't it have had a TTB stock?
IDK maybe my mistake was to assume that that was common knowledge when I made my original posting.

But I have NEVER seen a dually TTB, so I don't know and thus asked. I can't really say for sure that Ford made a 7th generation F-superduty and if they did in 4WD would it have had a D50 TTB?

I know darn well that the D60 hubs will work on a D50 TTB, but the spindle and likely the ball joints are weaker. Did they think or did they actually stand up to the stress of it?

I'm so sorry if it hasn't "sunk in" yet that I haven't been able to learn everything about trucks I haven't even seen. My apologies for wasting space in your forum.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:25 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
But your biggest limiting factor is that it is an 86. Lets face it, other than the small group of us here, the bull nose is not a very popular body style.
Maybe but I'll admit I'm rather surprised that even here in the bullnose section I didn't get a bunch of. "heck yeah build it and post pics" The total lack of enthusiasm here says a lot.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:24 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Wow nice attitude, I'm rather new around here but is it standard practice for moderators to infer that posters are stupid when we apparently ask too many of the wrong questions?
Neither is it standard practice to say that people are calling you stupid, when they aren't

Understand that sometimes we just get a few too many things going on all at the same time, and forget that a smiley can go a long way

Old 06-07-2013, 08:03 PM
RockWVU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 4x4 crew cab dually 1986.

It was originally a 4x4 crew srw.

Previous owner swapped on a rebuilt dually rear.

It has a Dana 60 up front.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:58 PM
nvrsatisfied84
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I know darn well that the D60 hubs will work on a D50 TTB, but the spindle and likely the ball joints are weaker. Did they think or did they actually stand up to the stress of it?"

The spindles are basically the same the differences is only the inner lip is longer on the 60 version so it goes thru the caliper bracket and in to the knuckles. As for the ball joints the uppers are the exact same and the lowers are only machined different in the neck shaft to be the correct length for inner C thickness