Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Time to retire the inheirited Chevy. . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 12:45 PM
jaimalade
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Time to retire the inheirited Chevy. . .

Hello All,

I've always been a true blue Ford, but for the past 4 years I've been driving the 1/2 ton 4x4 '76 Chevy that my Grandfather bought brand new. It had a blown motor, but only ~72,000 miles on the rest of it, so I built a 383 stroker for it and have wore it out towing my Galaxies from coast to coast. So, I can finally retire this truck with a good conscience

Anyway, I have been gearing up to get back into a Ford truck where I belong, and have been buying parts to build an '89 F-250 4x4. My question is, what kind of combination do I need to put together in order to at least match (hopefully exceed) the performance (towing power & milage) of the Chevy stroker. Here's what it is, as well as what I have so far for the F-250:

Chevy:
*'76 Chevrolet 4x4 Scotsdale
*3.08 front & rear diffs (12 bolt rear ? front)
*Auburn Posi in the rear
*Gear to Gear NP transfer case
*4-speed with "granny" low
*383 stroker - .030 over 350 block, 400 crank, stock rods, stock heads, stock intake & exhaust manifolds, mild Comp Cams hyd. cam w/ 204/214 duration @ .050, and an Edelbrock 650 carb.

So far I have the following for the Ford:
*'89 F-250 4x4 Custom
*3.55 front & rear diffs (I have a choice between a Dana 60 w/traction lok or a Sterling 10.25 open rear)
*NP 208 transfer case from a '84 F-250 (looking for the later BW)
*Choice between E4OD and the '84s 4-speed w/"granny" low, possibly have found a ZF 5-speed also
*'89 5.8 EFI (very willing and able to build a stroker)

Please give any and all opinions on what an appropriate combination would be for the F-250 to exceed the power and milage of my old Chevy. The Chevy stroker averages ~10 MPG loaded pulling an 18' car hauler with a complete '65-'67 2 dr hard top Galaxie (best of 17 mpg when fresh) & will pull almost any hill in the midwest in 4th at 50-55 mph. . .

Thanks,
Nathan

Old 06-09-2003, 05:31 PM
DainBramage
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to retire the inheirited Chevy. . .

Well, the 89 F350 (1 ton) we work with has a fresh 351 EFI w/ an RV cam (nothing special), and an upgraded clutch. Basically the same rig you're getting, but with a much heavier diamond plate flatbed rack body (w/ the integrated lift gate) - this sucker came with the truck...
And that ol bear will tow anything you can hook to it.

So, even though you have the F250 (a little lighter, but it seems like you're taking care of that), and yours is 4WD.

This truck hauls a 24 foot lumber trailer, loaded to the gills (got the tickets to prove it), and all the tools to pour footings and floors (4' powertrowel, 3'er, 2 power screeds, generator, 2" trash pump, and tons of other tools...), and tows it at 85 without fail.

So, you've got the motor, and tranny, just worry about the suspension, steering, weight distribution, and I'd suggest dual rear wheels.