88' Bronco II "possesed" with Electrical Demon!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:08 AM
fenix1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88' Bronco II "possesed" with Electrical Demon!

One for the "books"! Days ago tried to start her up...nothing. Engine turned like crazy but wouldn't run. Sounded just like it sounded when the fuel pump in the tank went out. Anyways, getting plenty of fuel, getting spark from the coil. Figured the ignition module was bad. Took it to Autozone and checked it...was good. Figure it was the pick up coil so bought one. Pulled Distributor, Ford didn't drill hole for the roll pin all the way through. Decided to drill it out, broke 3 bits. Bought new Distributor and installed. Crankshaft setting on 10 degrees BTDC. Rotor is pointing straight at #1 terminal. Getting air, fuel, and spark...cranks but wont start! Changed ignition switch under the steering column 5 years ago, have never changed the key and tumbler. When i turn the key gas gauge works. All my stuff works...lights, heater, horn, signals. cd player. All fuses and relays working. Computer is grounded. I'm out of ideas...any suggestions would really be appreciated...Charlie

Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 AM
fenix1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also tried to pull codes from the OBD connector, when i turn the key on the voltmeter would drop from bout 13 volts down to 0 like it was gonna give me codes but all the needle did was fluctuate real slowly between 0 and 1 volt...never did that before. Also i pulled the #1 plug wire off and turned engine over...it's getting timed spark. Never saw anything like this...i am stumped! Getting spark, gas, air...and no start...

Update: Just checked injector harness. Got 12 volts with key on. While cranking i get no "pulse" on the negative side. Also, have low buzzing or hum coming from the distributor cap with key on. ICM is good and installed new distributor with new pick up coil. Why would either of them be buzzing?

Old 06-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may want to also ask this in the Bronco 2 part of the forum as rarely do people vist this side of the forum. I personally have no idea as we have no experience with the 2.9L Bronco 2s only carbed. Maybe the computer is messed up. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while and then putting it back on to clear the computers codes that may be messing with the truck. Like I said I have no idea on this not even sure if the 2.9Ls have a computer I think they do though.
Trav