6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Dpf delete in California...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Davidvc1964
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dpf delete in California...

Hey everyone, I'm still kinda new to the forum and to diesels. I've heard a lot of people talking about deleting the dpf for better gas mileage. My question is...can I delete the dpf with a delete pipe and reinstall it when it comes time for a smog/emissions check? I would love to hear from any other Ca. residents that may have done a dpf delete and deal with smog checks. Also, is it possible to use a delete pipe with stock exhaust? Don't know if this is something I can bring to a muffler shop and ask them to do or if I can do it myself. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and know how to wrench on things...to an extent. I'm really not interested in installing a tuner if I don't have too. I'm strictly concerned about mpg and not interested in increasing the hp. Also, if I can delete the dpf, are there any other things that need to be adjusted (e.g. Sensors, service engine lights, etc) or does the dpf just come out and all is good? My final question is...will the mpg increase be significant? I'm currently getting 13 mpg city driving only.
I appreciate any advice I can get.
Thank you
Dave

Old 06-04-2013, 10:10 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Yes you can, takes a couple hours at the most. I can't comment about California. I read on here that they do road blocks out there to check emissions. I have camped in 48 of the 49 reachable states, I will not go to cal. Besides being in a modified truck I am armed. As I hear it I would be in trouble if stopped there. You cannot have delete pipe and stock exhaust. Delete pipe replaces about 4 feet of the stock exhaust. You should be able to replace the DPF/DOC as a DIY project, it is not difficult. If you delete the DPF you must have some kind of tuner to change the truck computer. Some tuners let you remove the exhaust sensors, others don't. Fuel mileage gain will not be dramatic, maybe 15-20%. Might get you from 13 to 15. What it will do is make your truck run sooooo much better and stop the oil dilution. I suggest you do some homework by reading some of the hundreds of posts on this forum on the delete/tuner subject. You will then be able to make your own decision on what you want. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Davidvc1964
Junior User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Yes you can, takes a couple hours at the most. I can't comment about California. I read on here that they do road blocks out there to check emissions. I have camped in 48 of the 49 reachable states, I will not go to cal. Besides being in a modified truck I am armed. As I hear it I would be in trouble if stopped there. You cannot have delete pipe and stock exhaust. Delete pipe replaces about 4 feet of the stock exhaust. You should be able to replace the DPF/DOC as a DIY project, it is not difficult. If you delete the DPF you must have some kind of tuner to change the truck computer. Some tuners let you remove the exhaust sensors, others don't. Fuel mileage gain will not be dramatic, maybe 15-20%. Might get you from 13 to 15. What it will do is make your truck run sooooo much better and stop the oil dilution. I suggest you do some homework by reading some of the hundreds of posts on this forum on the delete/tuner subject. You will then be able to make your own decision on what you want. Good luck.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Although, living in California my whole life and I must say...I've never seen a road block to check emissions. I've seen plenty checking for drunk drivers though.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:03 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
With California you will have to use a DPF on tuner that is CARB certified. That is your only option.

All I know is the banks 6-gun is certified. DPF on tunes. Don't know about anything else.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:44 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Davidvc1964
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Although, living in California my whole life and I must say...I've never seen a road block to check emissions. I've seen plenty checking for drunk drivers though.
That's interesting, I've read several stories on line about it. But, it is the internet.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:08 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
That's interesting, I've read several stories on line about it. But, it is the internet.
If its on the Internet, it must be true.

I would NOT risk it in California. Deleting the DPF allows for soot to exhaust from the tail pipe and with the crazy laws out there, you're risking a $10,000 fine if caught. A police officer, state trooper, or any other goverment agent can stop you if they know about emissions equipment laws and the model years that trucks should have it. I know we all are risking that, but the chances of getting caught in CA is extremely elevated.

On another note, if you're ONLY driving is city and you're truly getting 13, not shown on instrument cluster, but hand calculated, and you have a DPF, you're doing pretty good.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:32 AM
Davidvc1964
Junior User
Originally Posted by RM2738
If its on the Internet, it must be true.

I would NOT risk it in California. Deleting the DPF allows for soot to exhaust from the tail pipe and with the crazy laws out there, you're risking a $10,000 fine if caught. A police officer, state trooper, or any other goverment agent can stop you if they know about emissions equipment laws and the model years that trucks should have it. I know we all are risking that, but the chances of getting caught in CA is extremely elevated.

On another note, if you're ONLY driving is city and you're truly getting 13, not shown on instrument cluster, but hand calculated, and you have a DPF, you're doing pretty good.
Thanks for that info. I had no idea about the fine, that kinda helps me make up my mind. Guess ill stay with the dpf and possibly look for a CARB approved dpf on tuner.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Delta2142
Senior User
Originally Posted by Davidvc1964
Thanks for that info. I had no idea about the fine, that kinda helps me make up my mind. Guess ill stay with the dpf and possibly look for a CARB approved dpf on tuner.

This is why mine is cone. The regen was putting fuel in my oil. last oil report 2%. If I let that continue my concern was the cost of a 6.4 replacement.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Davidvc1964
Junior User
Originally Posted by Delta2142
This is why mine is cone. The regen was putting fuel in my oil. last oil report 2%. If I let that continue my concern was the cost of a 6.4 replacement.
Thanks Delta, I'm new to this diesel thing and not really sure of everything yet. What exactly is an oil report and where and when do i get one? Is 2% a lot? Was this happening because you did a dpf delete? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.
Thanks
Dave

Old 06-08-2013, 06:41 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Blackstone labs does oil analysis. Google them. ANY fuel in your oil is BAD. Diesel fuel is not very lubricating at all and diluting your oil can cause premature wear and failure. The lowest you can get on a report is "<0.5%" which is basically zero but I don't think the testing/methodology used can actually yield a "0%". Ford says <5% is acceptable but independent research/opinions state otherwise.

Other than dilution, fuel in the oil causes the oil level to grow. An over full crankcase is also very bad. Risking a runaway engine among other problems.

Deleting is actually the solution to oil dilution/growth. However, many people are getting <0.5% on their reports that aren't deleted.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Davidvc1964
Junior User
Originally Posted by RM2738
Blackstone labs does oil analysis. Google them. ANY fuel in your oil is BAD. Diesel fuel is not very lubricating at all and diluting your oil can cause premature wear and failure. The lowest you can get on a report is "<0.5%" which is basically zero but I don't think the testing/methodology used can actually yield a "0%". Ford says <5% is acceptable but independent research/opinions state otherwise.

Other than dilution, fuel in the oil causes the oil level to grow. An over full crankcase is also very bad. Risking a runaway engine among other problems.

Deleting is actually the solution to oil dilution/growth. However, many people are getting <0.5% on their reports that aren't deleted.
Again, thanks for the info, but it appears that since I'm in California, deleting is really not an option. Is this something i should have tested once a month, once a week? Does it get done during an oil change? Sorry, but I'm still not clear if this is something that should be included in regular maintenance or not.
Thanks again.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:54 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
check your oil at oil changes is what I would do. Do the 5K oil changes.

If you are after a tuner then select one with DPF on tunes. Then see if they have an EO number or are CARB certified.

To the best of my knowledge Banks 6 gun is the only one out there.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:54 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
I do every other to every third oil change. If a problem arises, every oil change may be necessary. It may be necessary to do in between changes if something really goes wrong.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Davidvc1964
Junior User
Originally Posted by senix
check your oil at oil changes is what I would do. Do the 5K oil changes.

If you are after a tuner then select one with DPF on tunes. Then see if they have an EO number or are CARB certified.

To the best of my knowledge Banks 6 gun is the only one out there.
Okay Senix, I really believe I'm getting close to understanding this oil thing. I now understand when to check for it, but I'm not exactly sure how? Is there a kit or something that checks for fuel in the oil or do I need to send a sample into the laboratory that that was mentioned earlier (have not googled yet)? Also, I have looked at banks 6-gun tuners, even on their website, and have not read anything about being CARB verified.
Once again, thank you for being patient with me. I appreciate all the info.
Dave

Old 06-08-2013, 07:19 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Banks+six+gun+CARB+approved

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Blackstone+labs

Blackstone will send you a free collection kit. You may want a Fumoto Oil Valve for ease of sampling.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Fumoto+oil+change+valve+ford+6.4

Quick Reply: Dpf delete in California...