E4OD Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:05 PM
big flatbed
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD Troubles

Hi All,
Just a few questions regarding my 93 f 350 with 7.3 IDI and E4OD. It has been going into limp mode with the OD light blinking. It also shifts hard and recently has been slipping every now and then. I pulled codes and it is throwing codes 62 for tcc slip and 29 for insufficient speed sensor signal. I have tried all kinds of things. So far I have replaced the VSS twice, MLPS, TPS (set to 1.1v -3.65v which is kind of low according to some stuff I'v seen, but that's all the range it will give me) Should I get another one?. Replaced solenoid pack, which seemed to help it not shift hard when not in limp mode. I am wondering if it might be the torque converter. I tried a stall test on it to see what rpm it stalls out. At first it was not in limp and it stalled at about 1800 rpm. I then drive it around a little and when backing up it kind of shuddered a little and then the od light started blinking so I thought I'd try the stall test again in limp mode. This time the rpm jumped to over 2500 and then the od light went off by itself after which it would stall at 1800 again. Does this sound like the torque converter? I am running out of ideas and I hate to keep throwing money at it. If anyone has any suggestions I would sure appreciate any input.Thanks!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:42 PM
IHIDIferdy
Junior User
Have you cleaned all the electrical connections.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 PM
big flatbed
New User
Yes, I have cleaned all electrical connections with the spray cleaner. I have three different thoughts.
1. Replace instrument cluster. I have heard that if that is faulty it will affect the speed signal to the transmission controller.
2. Change out the tps again. The one new one I installed doesn't have as much voltage range as what I've seen it should have. It is set at 1.1v to 3.65v.
3. Replace torque converter.
I don't know if any of these could be a possible solution. I have thought about trying all three of these ideas, however I dont want to keep throwing money at it. Parts add up fast as I have already found out without having any success. I really would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who is familiar with this tranny. Thanks!

Old 06-07-2013, 06:57 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
code 23 with holding WOT during KOEO scan (or just preventive maintenance every 50k miles)
set the tps to 1.2v idle & 4.0 - 4.5v WOT.-it may not appear like you can,but rest assured it is possible.sometimes you need to start over and look for a different frontal position while twisting the rear.in other words,you will see two places where you could have 1.2v idle while the thing is twisted on it's axis differently.that should help you figure it out.
pay no attention to voltage readings you've read in the past.ford says they should be discarded.
Remove original # 186 from your files and replace it with this revised bulletin. # 186A

if your vss is ok and is clean,maybe it's worth trying another psom.im not sure how to test for a faulty psom.i still havent gotten around to reading about these much.
i can tell you this is for sure without question your primary objective.to clean the ecm of code 29 and get it a clean speed signal.

this one almost is always tossed because the converter isn't locking when it would due to something like code 29 for example causing the issues.
always plan on this one as being simply a side effect.i always do.