To buy or not to buy the DP Infinity.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 02:36 PM
flavo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To buy or not to buy the DP Infinity.

That is the question.

I've been saving for gauges so I can start monitoring what's doing with my truck before I put a chip in it.
At roughly $500 for the gauges I would want, the Infinity sounds really attractive at $700. To get it to read fuel pressure and egt it makes it drastically more $$ at just under $1100. OUCH.

I don't care about having a bunch of gauges to look at in the cab so the single digital screen would work fine for me. I also am not opposed to having the gauges I need within view.

My concern is that I have no use for the infinity over gauges, and that the device will be over my head. I certainly don't plan on doing any data logging. Not that it wouldn't be useful. Just, would I actually do it?

I'm a DIY kind of guy and that includes any labor on my truck that I have the time to tackle.

I guess I'm a lil scared that the infinity will be over my head and a huge waste of money.
I had a VAG-COM for my VW's in the past. It is probably pretty similar to AE, as it's the software that the garages used. That thing was pretty far over my head. I learn by watching most of the time. Hard to do with no one to watch.

I could buy quite a few fun things for the truck after paying for just the gauges.

Help me out here please.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:35 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
The infinity is super easy to use..well worth the money.AE was to confusing for me.the first time something goes wrong you will be glad to have it..

Old 06-05-2013, 04:07 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
I was worried the Infinity would be over my head too, but it is simple to use. The data logging is kinda fun to play with at first, but I don't do it much anymore. The thing I really like is the fact if the truck starts acting up, I can hit the record data button and when I get home I can look at the data. While I don't know what a lot of it means I can ask on this forum or send the data to Jody to see what the problem is, I have an F6 too.

I like to do my own work and figured it was worth the extra money to not have to take it to the dealer to troubleshoot. At a couple hundred every time it won't take long to make up the extra $600 or so over the gauges.

Just my $.02 hope it helps

Old 06-05-2013, 08:17 PM
4wheeling79
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Infinity is super easy to use I love mine well worth the money! I am constantly watching the gauges I can't say enough about it if I were you I would go for it you can't go wrong.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call me old fashioned. I like the old auto meter analog gauges. Easy to read at a glance.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I have a chip, gauges and AE. When I first got AE it was very confusing, but the more you use it, the more useful it gets. With the money I have tied up in AE with the full domestic bundle, gauges and the F5 and 9 tunes, I could have had an infinity if they had it at the time. I am sure if you get one, you will love it.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:44 AM
flavo
Senior User
Thanks everyone.
I think I will probably pull the trigger. It's just a lot of $$ for me to give away all at once.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Things to weigh:
  • I hold the opinion scan tools are a must with rigs this complex, old, and as high-mileage as they are getting.
  • Infinity has the advantage of being self-contained, small, fast, and very convenient when something hiccups. It also has a monster benefit of the ability to program alarms and let it watch things for you automatically. You can add things like EGT and fuel pressure. I'm not hip on the tiny touch screen, though.
  • AE has the benefit of price (if you already have a small laptop/netbook) and expansion. I have a much friendlier screen and I have the alarm capabilities, but that leaves me with my netbook up every time I drive. I can't add any sensors to AE... period. Discussing expansion - I have a Toyota and family members with other brands of vehicles. It wouldn't take much to add the capabilities and drag AE to any vehicle I choose.
I don't know what the plans are for Infinity: Subaru? Toyota? Honda? While I don't yet know what I'd need on those rigs, I know how to log into forums to get support. My AE is very flexible, but nowhere near as convenient or fast as Infinity. Infinity is a lot of money to be dedicated to one vehicle (or at least a narrow list of makers), but it's a huge selling point if you ever put the vehicle on the market.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:55 AM
bowranger
New User
Like mine.worth the money.extra cord and u can read other vehicle's with out taking your cord out.it will pay for it's self

Old 06-06-2013, 10:33 AM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Tugly
Things to weigh:
  • I hold the opinion scan tools are a must with rigs this complex, old, and as high-mileage as they are getting.
  • Infinity has the advantage of being self-contained, small, fast, and very convenient when something hiccups. It also has a monster benefit of the ability to program alarms and let it watch things for you automatically. You can add things like EGT and fuel pressure. I'm not hip on the tiny touch screen, though.
  • AE has the benefit of price (if you already have a small laptop/netbook) and expansion. I have a much friendlier screen and I have the alarm capabilities, but that leaves me with my netbook up every time I drive. I can't add any sensors to AE... period. Discussing expansion - I have a Toyota and family members with other brands of vehicles. It wouldn't take much to add the capabilities and drag AE to any vehicle I choose.
I don't know what the plans are for Infinity: Subaru? Toyota? Honda? While I don't yet know what I'd need on those rigs, I know how to log into forums to get support. My AE is very flexible, but nowhere near as convenient or fast as Infinity. Infinity is a lot of money to be dedicated to one vehicle (or at least a narrow list of makers), but it's a huge selling point if you ever put the vehicle on the market.
I believe you can buy a "license" for any make of vehicle from the Dashdaq site, which is what the Infinity is but with Jody's software. I looked on the website when I ordered an extra OBDII cable, not sure if they had them available for all makes but there was a lot available.

I agree with the small screen for data playback. I view it on my laptop whenever I'm looking at data.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 AM
kt19
Freshman User
I went through the same thing. I ended up going with the Edge Insight with the EGT probe. This got me what I needed for about 400. The Infinity to get the EGT probe is another 150 i think so you'll have 850 into it. My edge just showed up in the mail and I haven't installed yet so by no means am I an expert.
If you plan on using it as a tuner infinity will be better in the long run. If you will just run stock might be a little spendy.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Rishsd
Senior User
I have the infinity. As everyone said it is easy to use. I was extremely happy with it 2 nights ago. I was driving in the rain and the truck had a hiccup and the service engine soon light came on. Within 30 sec while driving down the road I was able to go into diag and find out the brand new CPS was acting up. I was able to put 2 and 2 together and diagnose it to windshield wipers and cps are interfering. I never use my AE.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by Tugly
Things to weigh:
While the touch screen is smaller than a laptop screen, it is still very readable. I think a lot of people worry about this with any digital monitor, and some of the digital monitors on the market actually are very hard to read. But as far as the Infinity goes, I can sit in the passenger seat and still read the screen clearly.

Drew Tech offers enhanced packages for most makes just like AE, which can be added to the Infinity. However, when it comes to their Ford package, it differs from what we offer on the Infinity. I believe I have posted this graph before, but I will do it again in case I have not. It just compares the Infinity and Dashdaq with regards to Ford.

Also, to get the benefits of AE for other makes and models, there are additional costs involved. You can get up to $1199.95 if you want the Pro-Line bundle and the enhanced interfaces for all makes(minus European).

Originally Posted by cjgray1974
I believe you can buy a "license" for any make of vehicle from the Dashdaq site, which is what the Infinity is but with Jody's software. I looked on the website when I ordered an extra OBDII cable, not sure if they had them available for all makes but there was a lot available.

I agree with the small screen for data playback. I view it on my laptop whenever I'm looking at data.
Yep, that is correct.

Originally Posted by Rishsd
I have the infinity. As everyone said it is easy to use. I was extremely happy with it 2 nights ago. I was driving in the rain and the truck had a hiccup and the service engine soon light came on. Within 30 sec while driving down the road I was able to go into diag and find out the brand new CPS was acting up. I was able to put 2 and 2 together and diagnose it to windshield wipers and cps are interfering. I never use my AE.
Sounds like it really came in handy for you.

Glad you are enjoying it!

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 06-06-2013, 01:33 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
FYI, here are a couple of pictures

Old 06-06-2013, 04:13 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
Originally Posted by joeyd61
FYI, here are a couple of pictures

How do you have yours mounted? I've been thinking about getting mine out of the windshield.

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy the DP Infinity.