6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Reviewing a few things before moving on -

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I would go black. I think the YELLOW would stand out too much.
Same. I'm thinking that if I do black like the rest of the chassis and then do polished bolts and washers and sand the fins it would look really good. Yellow would probably look really out of place not to mention as soon as winter hits it's gonna look like ****. lol

Old 07-26-2013, 11:19 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Ended up doing the pan yellow, turned out nice. I ended up painting the trans pan bolts black to match the chassis too. Diff covers will be black with polished bolts and polished fins. Gonna look into some more upgrades after I get this stuff taken care of. Got the updated pan and internal filter installed along with a new external filter and seal. Going to probably paint the external filter housing yellow to match the trans pan. Also got the transfer case drained and refilled. We will see how the BG Universal Synthetic ATF holds up in the transmission but I've definitely noticed since doing this work it shifts smoother. I've already done two drain and refills and will be doing the third when I install the diff covers.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:00 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
I think after I've got the transmission/transfer case/differential stuff done it's time to finish the suspension/steering since I got a good head start on it.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Diff covers came in today. They're easily as tough as the factory steel ones, very durable. They came with new allen cap screws with washers as well. The rear diff cover actually has a drain plug on the bottom of it which is nice. The front cover has the fill plug located in the side instead of the front now. They fit perfectly and the hardware was great. They ended up adding a quart of fluid to each differential, rear being close to 5 quarts and front being close to 4 quarts. This could also be because I completely cleaned out the diffs using brake cleaner and rags to get everything out.

I ended up painting them with the same paint as I used on my chassis, axles, and suspension so it blends well. I ended up sanding down the tips of the fins to make it pop a bit and since all the hardware is stainless it gave it a nice look. You can tell they are aftermarket, but they don't jump out at you. I ended up using Permatex Ultra Black to seal them as I didn't want a colored gasket maker that would look cheesy.

All in all I'm very pleased with them, especially since they cost the same as the 08+ cover. With those being installed my trans, transfer case, and diffs are now done. Time to move onto suspension/steering.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:38 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
After researching around concerning the high pressure oil delivery system it seems that it's only needed/required on trucks that are using large injectors, generally 190's or bigger and I've not heard much of people actually needing it. There's a lot of claims of faster starting, quieter injectors, etc. etc. but I'm not really sure how that's possible on a stock injector truck.

The regulated return is something that's talked about quite a bit and seems to make sense to actually use. There's a good chance I will be purchasing one of these as my fuel pressure will start dropping under WOT for a period of time. I want to stay on stock pump and injectors simply for reliability sake. The aftermarket pumps aren't known to be nearly as reliable as the factory pump and if I were to lose an aftermarket injector the truck would be down. If I stay on stock injectors I can easily go into any Ford dealer and get one at least plus I can push the stock transmission on the stock fuel system which had always been my goal.

So, with the oiling, cooling, fuel, exhaust, braking, and driveline mods and maintenance complete I think it's time to move on to steering and suspension, of which I already have a great head start.