1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My 96 7.3 quit running. Any help would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:50 PM
abherd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 96 7.3 quit running. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello, I started my truck last Thursday to go get fuel for my tractors. It started fine. I drove it about 500yrds to load my fuel tank and it just died. I turnned it over and it started right back up. Loaded my tank and parked it for the night. Fri morning It started fine and I drove it about 8 miles and died on the road. I tried and tried to crank it back and it would not fire. I went and got a fuel filter, changed it tried cranking it and pulling it off still no fire. Threw all this there was no smoke comming out of the exaust. Had a local backwoods machanic to come look at it. He pulled the Air filter loose put a gasey rag to it and it fired up and ran it it sucked all the gas out of the rag. Tried that about 5 times and still no luck. Had it towed to his shop. He changed the mechanical fuel pump and put a new cam sensor on it still no luck. He said he unpluged the passanger side rear injector harness and it would start but would Idle really rough. He didnt know anything else to do so I just towed it home. It was 2 quarts low on oil so I filled it up and was going to try to crank it to see if that maybe the case but my batteries are dead now so while I am charging them I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. The truck has only 180,000 on it and has ran perfect up until this episode. Thanks for any imput.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:20 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Have you inspected the wiring harnesses like the one he unplugged for burnt pins/melted connectors? Any check engine light? Where did you get the cps from?

Old 06-03-2013, 06:00 PM
abherd
New User
No I didn't ask him where he got the cps, I got my batteries charged and tried it with that harness un plugged and still no fire. I couldn't complain. I bought pump $104 and he bought csp $23 AND I owed him $30 so I didn't complain. I'm dumb to diesels so u won't hurt my feelings. Called another guy he said check the silinoid on top of the intake by the fuel filter bowl. I said ok. Should I or should I not?

Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot

That's a no start flow chart, see if you can understand that. Inspect those plug ins, 2 on each head in the valley of the motor. They connect on the valve cover gaskets. Did you have a check engine light?

If you're willing to learn, we're willing to help so ask anything you need. Welcome to fte by the way.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:13 PM
abherd
New User
Thank you for wanting to help. I have visually looked at the harnesses. I can't get it to crank with the one he said he unplugged. Talked to another guy, he said to check the silinoid on top of the intake with a meter I thought that was a silinoid for the glow plugs. Like I said I need help. I'm not a diesel mechanic but I will listen and learn.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 PM
abherd
New User
No check engine lite. The dash acts normal. Sorry didn't mention that

Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Did you click on that little star in the link I posted above? See if you can follow that chart to help you at all.

I take it the harnesses visually looked ok? No burnt pins or connectors?

I should mention too the cps he replaced is a common problem. The thing is, the parts store ones can be hit and miss as far as even working. You really need to have a ford or ih sensor in there, in case that one isn't.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:55 PM
abherd
New User
I clicked on the link, I will have to look at it on my computer its blury on my phone. Should I get a ih or Ford cps bcefore I do anything else. He got it at main autoparts.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:16 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I guess I would to eliminate that from the equation. Even if it isn't you problem, you should always carry a spare, and a 10mm wrench to change it.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) Are you sure the CEL works? You can check this by turning on the key without turning over the motor and leave the key on for a couple of minutes. Also I think it should turn on after an excessive amount of continuous cranking without a start.

2) As you are turning over the motor does the tachometer register at least 100 rpm? If it doesn't move then the cps is bad. If it reads less than 100 rpm the computer will not fuel the cylinders.

I could keep going, but it just occured to me that Darin posted that flow chart. LOL.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Check the level of the HPOP reservoir, it should be about 1" from the top.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 AM
abherd
New User
Ok guys, thanks. I will check all those things when I get home from work and let YALL know if any or all the above check good or bad.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 PM
abherd
New User
When I first started trying to trouble shoot my truck, I was a under the hood camera shot with all the sensors and things to check circled in yellow with what it is wrote beside it. I can't find it again anywhere. If someone has it could you please post it. I hate to ask everyone that is trying to help me, so ok where is it located. I don't have a book not know where these things are located. Thanks for the help. If you don't have that picture and don't mind telling me the location that would be great to. I just hate to bug everyone that us trying to help me with that question. Thank you all.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Here are some:

Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2013, 07:21 PM
abherd
New User
Thank you for the quick response. Your a lifesaver! Going to pull sensors right now. Crossing my fingers.

Quick Reply: My 96 7.3 quit running. Any help would be appreciated.