Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Senior User

granny_rocket is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bio Diesel Newbie

Hey Folks,
While I'm not new to the world for Ford truck diesels, I am new to the idea and potential following thru of making bio-diesel. If I do go through with this "project" I want to go ***** to the wall. I have even gone as far as debating buying a turbo-diesel Jetta (an older on) to replace my current gasoline vehicle, assuming I can do this. Between the already incredible high mileage of the jetta and the "free" biodiesel I should theoretically be at a "0" cost for my fuel. This would also allow me to run my Powerstroker much more often without fearing the fuel bill at the pump!

I've been doing initial research on how the process works. I get you add lye, methanol and shake, let it sit then "sift". I know there is also a lot more involved like washing, etc.

SO that being said I"m looking for some web-site research. Are there good sites to get started on? I didn't see any stickies in this forum (ahem...perhaps someone could make a sticky??? LOL)

Thanks so Much
and Happy Rattling!

Al C
'98 Volkswagen Jetta TDI - my 50 mpg (that's not a typo) commuter car!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Here's a link to what I believe, is the best place to get started:
http://www.make-biodiesel.org/
It has the latest information on everything for the homebrewer.

Good luck, and any questions along the way are answered here in this forum quickly and thoroughly.
Homebrew American Biodiesel (B100 Most of the time)
1995 Mercedes Benz E300D, 2006 Mercedes R350
Old 06-04-2013, 02:16 AM
Elder User

genscripter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Since you are just starting, you could look into WVO instead of BioD. WVO is just filtered and dewatered veggie oil, and BioD is chemically treated veggie oil. The goal of running any veggie oil in a Diesel engine is to lower the viscosity of the oil to something close to the viscosity of Diesel. So, you can either heat it from the tank to the IP (WVO) or chemically treat the veggie oil (BioD). The upfront cost is more to install a two-tank WVO system, but the cost of processing WVO is nearly nothing since it is just filtering and settling. The upfront cost of BioD is less (replacing seals and hoses), but it costs more to make your own BioD in the long run.

Up to you. There are other pros and cons.
1988 Ford E250 Club Wagon | 7.3 IDI + RD2-90cc IP + Hypermax Van Turbo Kit | C6+GVOD w/ MaxOD Deep Sump & Electric Temp Probe | Wrapped Pipes & Turbo w/ Auber Instrument EGT/Boost Gauge | 4" Dia. Alum Driveshaft | 4.10 Gears | 32-gal Custom Alum fuel tank w/ Centroid sending unit | NAPA Coolant Filter | Michelin LRR 16" treads | Chrome Warn Winch Bumper | 115W PV Array | Brass Heatercore shutoff valves | Aftermarket Steering Stabilizer | Synthetic Lube all-around.
1998 Jetta TDI.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:06 AM
The Dr. will see you now!

Christof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud of
christof13t
I gotta agree with Gene...

Do you really want a bunch of caustic acid, and methanol laying around just waiting for a spill?

Wvo (imo) is just safer to deal with... and comparatively less expensive to process...
Granted... converting the truck is a bit more involved... addition of 2nd fuel pump, filter, and heating system...
Chris-PAA#130
Motorbug:2000 F350 Lariat CC,LB,6x6 7.3DIT,4" Turbo-Back, IH Bellowed Uppies, RiffRaff FRx&AIH Delete, Hutch/Harpoon,6637, 05-07facelift, dual cowl induction hood, Glowshift Max Tow gauges, antique BullyDog 1 Toon chip, 10k, Air Lift on rear axle, All the hitches!
420k & counting AE Total Ford Enhanced Bundle
Old 06-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Best way to determine which route to go depends on if your driving is short trips, (5-20 miles), or longer drives. Unless most of your driving is 15-20 miles or more at a time, then biodiesel is the alternative fuel of choice.
Homebrew American Biodiesel (B100 Most of the time)
1995 Mercedes Benz E300D, 2006 Mercedes R350
Old 06-06-2013, 01:16 AM
Elder User

genscripter is starting off with a positive reputation.
I assumed anyone who is going to buy a big block Ford Diesel, is probably going to drive it more than a handful of miles a day. Having a big diesel engine as your daily driver probably isn't the best use of fuel, whatever type of fuel that is.
1988 Ford E250 Club Wagon | 7.3 IDI + RD2-90cc IP + Hypermax Van Turbo Kit | C6+GVOD w/ MaxOD Deep Sump & Electric Temp Probe | Wrapped Pipes & Turbo w/ Auber Instrument EGT/Boost Gauge | 4" Dia. Alum Driveshaft | 4.10 Gears | 32-gal Custom Alum fuel tank w/ Centroid sending unit | NAPA Coolant Filter | Michelin LRR 16" treads | Chrome Warn Winch Bumper | 115W PV Array | Brass Heatercore shutoff valves | Aftermarket Steering Stabilizer | Synthetic Lube all-around.
1998 Jetta TDI.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 AM
New User

Lin19687 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would 1st start by reading all that is in this forum and multi other web sites.

Tons of info, you just need to look
Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels