Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I NEED HELP WITH PCM/ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Davepomrenke
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I NEED HELP WITH PCM/ECM?

OKAY HERE'S THE PROBLEM. I PURCHASED A SET OF AC CODE ALIANT INJECTORS FOR MY 99 EARLY BUILD MANUAL TRANSMISSION. THE A HOLE THAT SOLD THEM TO ME DID NOT HAVE A CHIP TO RUN (HE THOUGHT I HAD A AUTOMATIC) AND HE MADE ME WAIT UNTIL HE ROUNDED UP SOME ****TY TUNE'S AND PUT THEM ON A TS PERFORMANCE 6POSITION SWITCH. OF 6 POSITIONS 4 WORKED 1 BEING STOCK AND ANOTER BEING FAST IDLE. I MADE IT 2K BEFORE THE CHIP STARTED ACTING UP MAKING THE TRUCK RUN FUNNY. I MADE IT TO THE MT BORDER AND THAN IT KILLED THE MOTOR, PULLED THE CHIP AND RAN HER ALL THE WAY TO MN. SENT CHIP BACK TO A HOLE AND HE SAYS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT, HE SAYS ITS MY COMPUTER AND THE CHIP AIN'T COMMUNICATING WITH IT. TOOK COMPUTER TO TV REPAIR GUY AND HE LAYS A BEAD OF SOLDER ON BOTH SIDES OF THE CONTACT BOARD. I RE-INSTALL DRIVE TO CA, AZ, TX, FL, BACK TO MN NO PROBLEM; HOWEVER TRUCK LOPES IN BETWEEN SHIFTS LIKE IT DOES WHEN I HAD TO RUN ON NO CHIP AND STOCK PROGRAMING. PARKED IT WENT TO WORK IN ALASKA, CAME BACK IN NOVEMBER FIRED HER UP AND HEADED SOUTH. MADE IT TO KANSAS, COMPUTER CHIP KILLED ENTIRE LEFT BANK, PULLED CHIP RAN IT TO TX, AZ, CA, AZ, AND BACK TO CA WHERE IT NOW SITS. CALLED A HOLE HE SAYS ITS NOT HIS PROBLEM, "MY CHIP IS FINE, ITS YOUR IDM" REALLY, CHIP IN TRUCK WON'T RUN, CHIP OUT TRUCK RUNS FINE BUT WITH LOPE BECAUSE OF TIMING DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPLIT SHOT AND SINGLE SHOTS. I WANT TO KEEP THE AC INJECTORS AND WOULD LIKE TO GET MY COMPUTER RE-FLASHED TO RUN EM, OR IF I CAN FIND A RELAIBLE CHIP TO RUN EM THAT WOULD BE OKAY TO. I EMAILED DP TUNES WITH NO REPLY. SORRY FOR LONG POST BUT U GOT ALL THE INFO NOW, HELPPPPPP

Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Davepomrenke
OKAY HERE'S THE PROBLEM. I PURCHASED A SET OF AC CODE ALIANT INJECTORS FOR MY 99 EARLY BUILD MANUAL TRANSMISSION. THE A HOLE THAT SOLD THEM TO ME DID NOT HAVE A CHIP TO RUN (HE THOUGHT I HAD A AUTOMATIC) AND HE MADE ME WAIT UNTIL HE ROUNDED UP SOME ****TY TUNE'S AND PUT THEM ON A TS PERFORMANCE 6POSITION SWITCH. OF 6 POSITIONS 4 WORKED 1 BEING STOCK AND ANOTER BEING FAST IDLE. I MADE IT 2K BEFORE THE CHIP STARTED ACTING UP MAKING THE TRUCK RUN FUNNY. I MADE IT TO THE MT BORDER AND THAN IT KILLED THE MOTOR, PULLED THE CHIP AND RAN HER ALL THE WAY TO MN. SENT CHIP BACK TO A HOLE AND HE SAYS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT, HE SAYS ITS MY COMPUTER AND THE CHIP AIN'T COMMUNICATING WITH IT. TOOK COMPUTER TO TV REPAIR GUY AND HE LAYS A BEAD OF SOLDER ON BOTH SIDES OF THE CONTACT BOARD. I RE-INSTALL DRIVE TO CA, AZ, TX, FL, BACK TO MN NO PROBLEM; HOWEVER TRUCK LOPES IN BETWEEN SHIFTS LIKE IT DOES WHEN I HAD TO RUN ON NO CHIP AND STOCK PROGRAMING. PARKED IT WENT TO WORK IN ALASKA, CAME BACK IN NOVEMBER FIRED HER UP AND HEADED SOUTH. MADE IT TO KANSAS, COMPUTER CHIP KILLED ENTIRE LEFT BANK, PULLED CHIP RAN IT TO TX, AZ, CA, AZ, AND BACK TO CA WHERE IT NOW SITS. CALLED A HOLE HE SAYS ITS NOT HIS PROBLEM, "MY CHIP IS FINE, ITS YOUR IDM" REALLY, CHIP IN TRUCK WON'T RUN, CHIP OUT TRUCK RUNS FINE BUT WITH LOPE BECAUSE OF TIMING DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPLIT SHOT AND SINGLE SHOTS. I WANT TO KEEP THE AC INJECTORS AND WOULD LIKE TO GET MY COMPUTER RE-FLASHED TO RUN EM, OR IF I CAN FIND A RELAIBLE CHIP TO RUN EM THAT WOULD BE OKAY TO. I EMAILED DP TUNES WITH NO REPLY. SORRY FOR LONG POST BUT U GOT ALL THE INFO NOW, HELPPPPPP
What is your name and when did you email us?

Just so you know, in case you want us to reflash you chip, we use our own hardware design. I would call Jonathan@no limit tuning and design for tunes if you want to use the ts hardware you have now.

Hope this helps.

Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 06-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 06-02-2013, 09:02 PM
tappit01
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's also gearhead automotive performance that can reburn your ts chip for $175. i think it was.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Caps lock, please.

There is some useful information in the custom tune link in my signature, but it comes down to a couple of things:
  • It doesn't sound to me like your truck is 100% and the first round of problems was a loose connection when you installed the chip.
  • You may have a bad connection with one or both of your Under Valve Cover Harnesses - this would cause half the engine to run.
Your truck has a number of years on it and I would guess a lot of miles... it's not showroom fresh. This means tuning doesn't always work exactly as planned and it sometimes takes a bit of tweaking to get the tune to compensate for the engine idiosyncrasies.

Your tuning guy isn't likely an A-hole... it's more likely your truck is sabotaging the efforts to tune for the new sticks, and it's a bear to figure out what's happening without looking at the sensors with a scan tool. I found a plethora of problems with my Powerstroke that produced poor performance... and that wasn't my tuner's fault. This is very common with 10 to 14-year-old diesels.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Davepomrenke
Freshman User
Originally Posted by DP-Tuner
What is your name and when did you email us?

Just so you know, in case you want us to reflash you chip, we use our own hardware design. I would call Jonathan@no limit tuning and design for tunes if you want to use the ts hardware you have now.

Hope this helps.

Diane
Thanks Diane, I emailed a couple of days ago. I am headed back to Ca to get my truck running correctly. Nice to know you saw my message. No worries, I made have done something incorrectly, I am not perfect.

Anyways when this chip (TS Performance 6 position) quit it stranded me on a major thoroughfare in Olathe, Kansas with the rear end of my trailer blocking a extremely busy rush hour traffic lane. After an hour of diagnosing the problem I pulled the chip from my computer and stuffed it up under the dash, truck started, I pushed on the clutch, I heard a crunch, end of that piece of s___t chip.

What I think I really want is a re-flash on my computer, or a different computer that will run these injectors. Than if I want to chip that re-flashed computer I can. I need reliability and I don't have that now.

Thanks
Dave
Dpomrenke(at)Hotmail.com

Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Davepomrenke
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tappit01
there's also gearhead automotive performance that can reburn your ts chip for $175. i think it was.
Thanks for the information.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Davepomrenke
Freshman User
Really?

Originally Posted by Tugly
Caps lock, please.

There is some useful information in the custom tune link in my signature, but it comes down to a couple of things:
  • It doesn't sound to me like your truck is 100% and the first round of problems was a loose connection when you installed the chip.
  • You may have a bad connection with one or both of your Under Valve Cover Harnesses - this would cause half the engine to run.
Your truck has a number of years on it and I would guess a lot of miles... it's not showroom fresh. This means tuning doesn't always work exactly as planned and it sometimes takes a bit of tweaking to get the tune to compensate for the engine idiosyncrasies.

Mr Tugly,

Caps on for old guys that have a hard time reading small print.

Obviously truck is not %100, is it wet when it is raining????

Truck has 240K, burns no oil, and has never stranded me, except for this chip. Rebuilt transfer case at 220K, new injectors (AC Code stage 1) at 221k, new speed sensor and camshaft sensor replaced-dealer recall. Truck has custom 4" intake, 4" turbo back stainless exhaust, stage 3 methanol injector, hydrogen generator on board, Amsoil by-pass oil filtering system, coolant filtration system, Air Dog fuel preparatory fuel delivery system, 4-wheel air bag leveling system, on board 30 amp inverter (DC-to-AC), 4 battery reserve, 2-deep cycle, 2 regular controlled by a constant use solenoid, Dually conversion installed with custom fenders, custom heavy duty 2-additional leaf rear springs, last but not least 12' pick-up camper with a custom, hand fabricated 52" stinger hitch with a 10,000 lb rating.

Installed many chips, I super clean connections without excessive removal of the actual connector taking my time. Previous TS Performance hardware worked for 150,000 mile with absolutely 0 problems.

When the truck started missing and running bad, what would you do?
I scoped it at a Ford dealer, the mechanic that performed the $100 scope diagnosis informed me "you got 3 bad injectors 2-4-6. I know about wiring an immediately pulled both valve covers, and inspected both wiring harnesses.

Your tuning guy isn't likely an A-hole... it's more likely your truck is sabotaging the efforts to tune for the new sticks, and it's a bear to figure out what's happening without looking at the sensors with a scan tool. I found a plethora of problems with my Powerstroke that produced poor performance... and that wasn't my tuner's fault. This is very common with 10 to 14-year-old diesels.
The guy is an A-hole. I bought 5K worth of items from him and after I get the injectors and he keeps telling me the chip is coming, and it don't come THATS A PROBLEM. I worked for 6 months straight 12-18 hour days, have not seen my famliy for 6 months, and I need to drive my rig from Fairbanks Alaska to Minnesota and Christmas is 1 week away. I am stuck in Fairbanks waiting for 2 weeks for a chip that was supposed to be sent with the injectors.

Poor performance and not running at all are 2 ends of the spectrum. This truck was probably making close to +400 horse with a 50/50 methanol blend. The only problem I have has is/was that chip. Truck runs fine without chip. I made many phone calls to many mechanics and dealers to verify I could run the rig, without damage, on stock AB injector computer programming.

Thanks for input

Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Ah... more back story. All I had to go on was yelling and name-calling in caps, and no signature line listing the mods/experience level. It sounds like you need one of the pros listed above, Matt at Gearhead, Brian at BTS, Tony Wildman, and a few others.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 PM
trk98
Senior User
Are you related to the pomrenkes on the gold dredging show. History channel?

Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Davepomrenke
Freshman User
Originally Posted by trk98
Are you related to the pomrenkes on the gold dredging show. History channel?
Yes I am, you are correct sir. My twin brother, Steve and my nephew Shawn are on the show I am in the background. Actually it is called "Bering sea Gold" and Bering Sea Gold under the ice" and it is on the discovery channel.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W00t... another famous one!

We had one of them ice road truckers sign up and post a few months ago...
Neato...

If you ever find yourself in need of a place to dispose of a few pounds of yellow metal....

Old 06-04-2013, 09:39 AM
trk98
Senior User
Sorry i cant contribute to your thread but I had to ask. Thats really cool, i actually love that show and your brother and nephew and Cody are my favorite crew. Least amount of drama and all about business, and seemingly great people. Id do anything to work for them so if they need any help im your guy. Good luck with your question and sorry to be off topic.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Bigtruc
Senior User
Where at in MN are u? I live up in the NW part & just recently accuired AE, would be more then happy to meet up & hook up to your rig if u would like to check things over. I know u said it runs perfect without the chip but if your interested just let me know.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Davepomrenke
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tugly
Ah... more back story. All I had to go on was yelling and name-calling in caps, and no signature line listing the mods/experience level. It sounds like you need one of the pros listed above, Matt at Gearhead, Brian at BTS, Tony Wildman, and a few others.

Thanks Tugly,

Still wondering if anyone agrees with my chip supplier telling me my IDM is faulty and not his chip?

Quick Reply: I NEED HELP WITH PCM/ECM?