Touch up paint coverup

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Fatstrat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touch up paint coverup

Someone backed into my '01 F-150 HARD. Caused a large compression dent on rear panel. Body shop said extremely difficult to repair. Cheaper just to replace entire bed. Especially in my case since the culprit didn't leave a note and I only have liability insurance.
So I checked a local salvage and found what I thought was a match to my Maroon & silver paint. But it wasn't until the bed was delivered that I actually saw it side by side w/my truck. And the shade of silver is slightly darker that that on my truck. Perhaps a tint of gold in it.
The bed is sitting upside down in my driveway. And I had a thought that perhaps I could use touch up paint to match the colors. I've had a small amount of auto painting experience in a Vo-tec course I took over 20 years ago. In which I did some body work & painted a '67 Impala SS I owned. So I have a basic idea of how to tape and pre-scuff. Have determined the paint codes on the truck are AQ (Arizona Beige Metallic) and FL (Toreader Red Metalic). Believe bottom paint on new bed is B2 or B5 (both Harvest Gold Metalic).
What do you think of the idea of covering the B-2 with AQ aerosol touch up paint? Opinions please.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Hi Fatstrat!

Other may have different experience, but IMHO, while it is possible given the large areas that you are addressing, I would avoid using a aerosol-base application device....a touch-up gun would work but it would require many more coats than using a conventional or HVLP gun...and from a cost aspect, it would probably be just about the same price as buying a gun......(as compared to the number of cans you would be using).

a potential option- is to sign up at a local community college vocation ed course in auto painting.....then you would have access to all the guns, booth, etc.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Fatstrat
Junior User
Well, I did it. The area is not that large. About a 1 1/2 foot wide strip along the bottom of bed. 4 panels separated by the wheel well.
I bought 3 cans of "Dupli-color" aerosol automotive spray paint that matched the code on the VIN tag (too much paint as it turned out). With bed turned upside down, I scuffed the old paint. Taped off the rest of panel using newspapers. Cleaned the area w/cleaner/degreaser. And shot 5 light coats with appropriate dry times in between. Then after that dried finished it a good 2K clear coat. I couldn't be more delighted with the results!

Old 06-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Glad to hear!!!! I was kinda under the assumption you would be painting the entire fender......

Dummy me- assuming again- (:

Old 06-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Fatstrat
Junior User
Project completed

Well..almost. Still have to find original type pin striping. Used auto parts thin stripes store as temp.