I spent some time today trying to learn what voltage the truck is set up for now. I finally figured out that although po had installed a few 12V items it is still for sure 6V pos ground. I didnt have a 6V battery so I hooked battery charger to the cables to test guage cluster and lighting. And the plug wires were on wrong and they put dizzy in 180 degrees out. That is why cap was turned 180 degrees from it proper position and the new points they installed were burned up. So, new points, rewire plug wires, I only had a 12v battery and a 12v coil with built in resistor so I isolated the cranking system and ign system with jumper wires, new fuel line and filter feeding from a gas can she came to life!
Cranked her up again last night. Such a good feeling to hear the old Y Block run The parking brake linkage is free and works good now. Was fortunate to get clutch to unstick last night. Rear is up on blocks with wheels removed so I ran through the gears. All was smooth and no noises. Wish brakes were fixed and I had some good wheels and tires. But I am happy with progress so far.
Ok, so I decided to dismount one tire from the widow maker wheel tonight. I have change lots of the old tube type with the ring on the outside but this was a new experience. I didn't help that they have been on for many years rusting. I spent a good 2 hours with the tire hammer and looking at it trying to figure out how it comes apart. I finally got the smaller side off but the larger side is still rusted to the tire. I am letting it soak with diesel fuel as I found years ago that it makes a good penetrating lube for old throw away tires. Now that I can see it, what a cheesy design. I cant believe anyone ever thought that up much less thought it was a "good idea". I expected a more pronounced hook to hold the 2 halves together. There ceartainly is no room for error.
I thought I might use them since finding alternatives is so costly and difficult, but I am definitely have 2nd thoughts now.
Do yourself a favor. Chain them together tightly and heavily and lay them on the lawn dangerous-side-up before letting air out of them. They are known to be likely to seperate during pressure excursions, low pressure being apparently less "grip" for the two halves. Heck, they've been known to blow while rolling down the highway. I had a boss whose father in law was killed when one blew next to his car. Came right through the car and crushed him dead, kept right on going. With this in mind, I chained mine with 3/8" heavy weld link and doubled-up grade 8 bolts and heavy washers prior to removing them from the vehicle.
After seeing how these wheels are built, I don't plan to use them. I am looking into axle possibilities for swapping. I want to keep a solid beam axle in front but they are hard to find locally. I have found a front and rear that match and will be 8 lug from and early 60's model, but I think I want to look at a few motorhome chassis before I commit.
several years ago I drove a 91 F450 super duty that had a solid beam axle in front. I wish I could find one of those for a donor truck.