Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

June BS Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 AM
joewelds
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also want to rebuild my tranny. C-4. I've been watching videos in YouTube and have bought a couple books.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:42 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah ok. Well that should be a nice project for you. Since I've now got my VW I have 2 motors in need of rebuilding, 2 carbs to rebuild, and so on. The bug is in poor shape at the moment and I am doing what I can to keep it going. The truck however, I finally started it up after a long time of not running it and though it took a while for the ol girl to get going, once going she was running strong still. I helped a neighbor rip a small stump out of his yard since his trucks were occupied at the time. It was my first time pulling a stump and though it is a simple task, I thought it was fun for whatever reason. Oh well, at least I know the truck is still doing ok.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:45 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
sounds like fun there joe. i have a fair pile of 300 parts if you find you need something, all stock except a set of long tube headers i found at the junkyard for too cheap to pass up. if you want them, they're yours cheap.

for the tranny side of things, its just like anything else - be very organized and patient, and it really won't be that hard. my first automatic rebuild was an AOD, and i didn't have any books to guide me. it worked fine when i was done.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:48 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
It was my first time pulling a stump and though it is a simple task, I thought it was fun for whatever reason. Oh well, at least I know the truck is still doing ok.
no matter how simple it is, using a truck for such things is always fun. yesterday i used my van and my winch (replacement of the one i blew up) to pull a log out of the back lot, it was simple yet fun, and a lot less stressful than last time

Old 06-03-2013, 01:15 AM
joewelds
Senior User
Pulling a stump sounds fun to me. With a winch more fun. I will for sure Josh. You know how it goes, don't need it until you need it and you have to stop where your at until you get it. I'm sure I'll run into that as its been years since I've turned wrenches on a real job. Sure I e changed brakes oil spark plugs. So I'm at the point of over thinking it. Can't wait to just do it.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:21 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
yeah, i've got a spare 300 engine laying in the back shop, i don't remember if it broke a timing gear or if it still ran, but its sitting there, and i've got a whole pile of parts behind it. i'd like to clean up one of these days

Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice to see you back Joe, been a while. Looking forward to meeting you finally and getting you going on that engine.

I bought ANOTHER truck today, a 86 CC dually 460 C6 2WD. It was just too cheap to pass up.

Guy I got it from told me something that concerns me greatly if true. You all might know. He told me that they made making a trailer out of the back of a pickup illegal? Anyone ran into this?

Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 AM
joewelds
Senior User
I'll try doing some research.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:07 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
I've been looking, I can't find anything, I'm pretty sure I've read all the Washington State laws on the subject. I have to prove where all the parts came from, and I have to have brakes and a few other safety items. Other then that it should be all good.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:12 AM
joewelds
Senior User
Brute check this out. Hope it helps.

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/cvd/170_129.pdf

Old 06-03-2013, 02:17 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by joewelds
Brute check this out. Hope it helps.

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/cvd/170_129.pdf
Thanks, yeah I've seen that and seems to be the standard guideline for the Washington State inspection. I have found very little that applies and is any stricture then what is there. There are some federal laws on brakes that apply for surge brakes but that's all a weight issue, and one I'm not pushing at all at this point.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:24 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Anyone up for saving a good truck, just came across this;
Parting Out 78 Ford 4x4 w/ HP Dana 60

Old 06-03-2013, 05:19 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Well we had some bad news this weekend. First death related to the I-5 collapse.
State Trooper Motor office was hit and killed directing traffic.
Washington State Trooper Killed in Motorcycle Crash - Officer.com
Sad day. We thought that we got away clean on that bridge collapse.

Sean

Old 06-03-2013, 11:20 AM
joewelds
Senior User
That's sad Sean. A good buddy of mine went over the bridge not ten minutes before the collaps.
For sure Brute, look forward to meeting and pulling that motor. Still trying to lock in a space to work on it. I don't have a garage at my apt or my girls house. My buddy told he might be able to give me some space. So I will see. I'll do it in the driveway if I have to.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:09 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Any of you ever deal with title issues?

The truck I just bought "as parts" I can probably get on the road again if I can get it titled and registered. However the guy I got it from didn't have the title or it in his name, nor did the guy he got it from. So I have no official(state) paperwork on this truck.

Quick Reply: June BS Thread!