Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Freshman User

bust7015 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Brake Calipers Sticking

I have a 2006 F250 SD, 6.0. I purchased it less than 2 years ago with 32000 miles. When I first got it, the RR caliper was hanging, A few days later the LR caliper started hanging. Still under the 60day warranty, the dealer replaced both calipers with new, not rebuilds. 7 months later, 40000 on the clock, the LR hung briefly a few times. A week or so later the RF caliper got hung and stayed there. Local shop replaced the flex lines at all four brakes, both front calipers New, not rebuilds, new pads and rotors, and flushed the system with new fluid. Here I am, 11 months later 47000 miles on the clock now and the LR caliper is hanging again. I am thinking something may be wrong with the ABS unit. This is getting expensive for a truck I don't drive that often, but I really enjoy it! Any ideas? Have there been any TSB's regarding this issue? Thanks for any input
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Post Fiend

JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.
Sounds like your guides may be corroding and sticking . Either your caliper pins or pad slides , or both . I see that a lot on the rears . And more on seldom used trucks .
Old 05-31-2013, 05:28 AM
New User

Capt. Bob is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am having the same problem on my truck. I replaced the right front caliper back in August when it locked up. Every thing has been fine untill yesterday. The left front (driver side) did the same. I let it cool down and was able to get it home without a problem. If the caliper was bad would it be okay again after it cooled down. I don't use my truck much either. Maybe 3000 miles a year. Mine is a 2006 F-250 with a 5.4 engine and 98k on the clock.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:10 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
No, it will not be OK. They do not fix themselves.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 05-31-2013, 08:54 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Those that live in salt country, lots of snow etc need to take the calipers off, clean the slides and take the slide pins out and grease them as well.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 06-01-2013, 06:47 AM
New User

Capt. Bob is starting off with a positive reputation.
I replaced the caliper and hose on the drivers side. I could find no reason for the thing to stick. The pins were fine and had plenty of lub. on them. I guess the rears will start to go next.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Postmaster

sammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
Those that live in salt country, lots of snow etc need to take the calipers off, clean the slides and take the slide pins out and grease them as well.

Yes indeed, I do this once a year.
'05 F350 6.0 SOLD Problem Free..
Old 06-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Freshman User

I don't drive the truck in the winter because I want it to last. BUT I will take the calipers off and do some maintenence. I really enjoy this vehicle! They don't call them super duty for nothin'!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Junior User

jlrFordFan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brakes dragging

My '08 F-250 has had a significant brake drag issue multiple times. It's not a caliper problem. Each of my fronts have dragged / hung up, and its happened on each of my rears twice each. The problem is the brake shoes(pads) corrode and stick in the guides. If you have this same problem you have to remove the guides and clean them up. I actually had to hammer the pads out of the guides to remove them. Even if you clean them up, and lubricate them you need to keep your attention on them because the brake heat combined with the pad/caliper dust will generally degrade the lube and cause the corrosion and sticking to return.

The number one cause is the truck sitting a lot. Mine sits ALOT, I only use it to pull the camper, and that's only about 15 times/year. After sitting the other primary cause is salt accelerated corrosion as cited by Senix above.

If mine keeps doing it I'm going to modify the pad guides with some slots to better hold grease, and start experimenting with high temp grease.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Post Fiend

JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.JWC 3 has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrFordFan View Post

If mine keeps doing it I'm going to modify the pad guides with some slots to better hold grease, and start experimenting with high temp grease.
I have a customer that insists on high temp bearing grease on his pad backs and slides/pins . He is a retired Navy Sub tech . He must be on to something , he has about 550k on his Volvo car now .And no brake issues .Just a few wiring and A C issues .
Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i never have issues with calipers sticking/freezing on vehicles that are always used.

but let them sit and it is a different story.
and i never have problems with the sliders, it is always the pistons freezing in the calipers.
metal or phenolic pistons, it don't matter. although the phenolic pistons do seem to last a little longer.

rarely in life do you meet a person that will drop everything to help a stranger,
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:02 AM
Junior User

sledjunk is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had issues like this with my old truck (Chev). I use my truck primarily for towing the sleds in the winter. I finally decides to drive the truck to work (100 KM round trip) at least once a week. The issues were greatly reduced.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Freshman User

I ended up replacing the caliper after cleaning the old one and putting new grease on the slides with no luck. No issues since... but I attended an event recently and ended up talking with a group of 11 super duty owners who drive their trucks daily or nearly as much all with the same recurrent problem. A NAPA store owner in attendance said that it is a problem that is inherent in the calipers. He stated it is caused primarily by poor quality control by rebuilders but said to check for bad bearings as a possible cause. Guess I'll carry a spare caliper with me on vacation!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Posting Guru

Gage2502 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gage2502 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ya my driver side rear was sticking yesterday. I got it home and lifted the rear and it started to move freely, going to really check it this week.
If I need to replace the Caliper should I use OEM Motorcraft?
Is there a way to make sure that the pads are ok and rotor? It was sticking for about 5-10 miles then it became unstuck. The wheel was warmer than the other 3 than when it became unstuck it wasn't warm anymore.

Also I have just over 30k miles on my truck....I guess I should drive it more.
Thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 AM
Freshman User

The first time I replaced the calipers, I went to Ford and they used Reman units from Motorcraft. They lasted about 8 months. One stuck and a few days later the other side. Just sayin' Sad thing is I drive my old Honda Civic daily with 250K with the original calipers all around
Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty