Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

75 Highboy Resto-Mod Build

Old 09-15-2014, 08:48 AM
TylerJ150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redroad
Thanks Tyler .. So you have to pull the grille, fender aprons and front tires ?

and on a frame off restoration would it be better to do the core support and light bucket work on the core support before it is installed ?

How much of the back of the light (inches) actually is beyond the core support into the fender well after install ?

On the beam adjustment (left right up down) on the bucket any thoughts on what might be the best way to do that now that you've done the install ?

On the OEM bucket set up there is a ring to hold the bulb in, how is the new projector held in ?

Can't wait to try this .. Here where I live, after dark, any advantage in seeing the deer is a plus .. This looks like a great way to go .. Thanks
I did this with just the two grille inserts out. Remove them, then remove the old head light, then the bucket. The ring on the bucket is still what holds the lights in. The trimming on the bucket was just to get the lights to drop in and seat properly in the buckets. Once the buckets were trimmed I put them back on the truck and set the lights back in to see what needed trimming, and figured the best bet was to just cut a hole so the whole back of the light would go through. Once I finish trimming and getting the fit I want, I'd say only about 1/8-1/2 of the housing will be inside the fender well. The adjustment of the lights is still basically the same as before though. You'll have to losen the ring and rotate the housing to get the beam level. then the up and down adjustments are done by the top screw, on the bucket, and left and right is done with the side screw.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:53 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerJ150
I did this with just the two grille inserts out. Remove them, then remove the old head light, then the bucket. The ring on the bucket is still what holds the lights in. The trimming on the bucket was just to get the lights to drop in and seat properly in the buckets. Once the buckets were trimmed I put them back on the truck and set the lights back in to see what needed trimming, and figured the best bet was to just cut a hole so the whole back of the light would go through. Once I finish trimming and getting the fit I want, I'd say only about 1/8-1/2 of the housing will be inside the fender well. The adjustment of the lights is still basically the same as before though. You'll have to losen the ring and rotate the housing to get the beam level. then the up and down adjustments are done by the top screw, on the bucket, and left and right is done with the side screw.
Thanks Tyler I appreciate the input

Old 09-15-2014, 10:22 AM
TylerJ150
Senior User
Thanks Tyler I appreciate the input
No problem, I'll post some better pics of everything together once I get it all in and working 100%

Old 09-15-2014, 06:54 PM
.:1978_Ranger:.
New User
Originally Posted by TylerJ150
Bad pic but I snagged this solid rear window out of a 96 today. It's in good shape so it should take tint just fine, plus it doesn't have all that excess chrome.
... wait, you're saying that a back window out of a 95-96 ford actually fits on our trucks? If they do, I guess I have a solution for mine, were I live Its super hard to find good parts for these trucks..

Old 09-15-2014, 07:02 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rear window 73-96 (97 in F-250+)

Bench seats bolt on the factory rails same year range.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:49 PM
fordrealdrive
Fleet Mechanic
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Nice work! I was pleased with my old halogens until this.

Do you think a filler panel on the back side of the core support is necessary to protect the light assembly?

I briefly looked at the link to TRS so I may have missed it. Is there an option for the 78-79 trucks with the rectangle headlights?

Old 09-15-2014, 08:55 PM
TylerJ150
Senior User
Originally Posted by .:1978_Ranger:.

... wait, you're saying that a back window out of a 95-96 ford actually fits on our trucks? If they do, I guess I have a solution for mine, were I live Its super hard to find good parts for these trucks..
Correct, it's a direct swap, and looks so much better, without the aluminum frame
Originally Posted by fordrealdrive
Nice work! I was pleased with my old halogens until this.

Do you think a filler panel on the back side of the core support is necessary to protect the light assembly?

I briefly looked at the link to TRS so I may have missed it. Is there an option for the 78-79 trucks with the rectangle headlights?
I don't think it will be necessary, they'll be shielded by the fender liners once I reinstall them. They do not currently have a square bucket kit, however, they are developing one right now, and the last tentative release I heard was the first of the year.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:23 PM
fordrealdrive
Fleet Mechanic
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Right on, and thanks for the heads up...I got time to save my pennies!

In your earlier pics, with the different colors, were those just the LED's for the halo's or is it possible for the entire "lens" to have that glow? Aftermarket headlights are very new to me. lol

Old 09-15-2014, 11:44 PM
TylerJ150
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordrealdrive
Right on, and thanks for the heads up...I got time to save my pennies!

In your earlier pics, with the different colors, were those just the LED's for the halo's or is it possible for the entire "lens" to have that glow? Aftermarket headlights are very new to me. lol
That was with an LED strip inside the shroud to shine in the projector bucket. Unfortunately with the way they'd need to be mounted, I didn't think they'd last long. I figured the heat would kill them, or the angle of the wires would have ripped lose.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:20 PM
TylerJ150
Senior User
Plans changed and I was able to come home this weekend, so I'll have you guys some night shots tonight!

Old 09-20-2014, 03:09 PM
TylerJ150
Senior User
They're aimed waaaay low, gotta finish my cutting and fitting so they'll seat all the way and I can adjust them. But I'm most definitely not disappointed. The pics don't do them any justice, the old halogens on it would barely light up the tree line on camera, and now it's bright. The passenger high beam isn't working, but I'm pretty sure the pin in the plug just backed out, so no big deal there.

Looks pretty menacing now in the dark, that's just halos, but they're so bright white the phone camera won't focus.

Low beams at 25yd under the cutoff

Low beams, super sharp cutoff, but the lines are wonky from the light angles

Highs, pics don't do them any justice, there's a fence line about 75 yd down there that I couldn't see with the old lights, and I could see the posts tonight.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:24 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
This coming along well Tyler Thanks for the update and pics

Old 09-21-2014, 04:10 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I tried taking pics of the output from the Hella H4 headlights I'm running and couldn't really get it to work with the camera.

The light output from yours is very clear-white light, something I would expect more from an LED than an HID. Very nice!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:46 AM
TylerJ150
Senior User
This coming along well Tyler Thanks for the update and pics
Thanks!
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
I tried taking pics of the output from the Hella H4 headlights I'm running and couldn't really get it to work with the camera.

The light output from yours is very clear-white light, something I would expect more from an LED than an HID. Very nice!
Well the projector is what makes them so sharp and focused, as opposed to what you're used to seeing when people run them in reflector type housings. Also, color wise, they're a 6000K color temp, which is the same as a regular white LED. I chose that color of bulb because I'm planning to run an LED bar(or 5) when I build a bumper lol so I want them to all match.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:56 PM
TylerJ150
Senior User
Copied an idea I saw on here for painting the grille inserts. Quite pleased with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 75 Highboy Resto-Mod Build