Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2013, 08:55 AM
New User

deangrell is starting off with a positive reputation.
LOTSA PICS - New to me 1978 F700 Dump

Well, I found me a good one! We bought a piece of land that is quite literally a junkyard. Had a house we tore down, and a bunch of trash on it. Called the county and got free unlimited access to the landfill for the next 2 months. Called the cleanup crew and they wanted THOUSANDS to load and haul everything off.

So instead, my brother in law bought a skid steer, and I bought a dump truck! 1978 F700 with the Allison automatic tranny, 391, air brakes, 4 new rear tires, eaton 7.17 rear, full towing package including trailer brakes...filled her up with gas, checked the other fluids, and ran her home 55-60 mph the whole way (45 minute drive).

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Well if ya don't have a Barn than build that first so ya can drag the 8N and old ford into it and start workin on em.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 05-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Posting Guru

460 FORD MAN has a good reputation on FTE.460 FORD MAN has a good reputation on FTE.460 FORD MAN has a good reputation on FTE.
Looks good.

How many mpg do you get?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Elder User

fordcrzymike is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nice looking truck! We used to have about 4 of those trucks (with hoppers on the back) for my Grandpas lime business back in the 60s and 70s. Now we only have one left. It's not in as good of condition as yours, but hopefully one day I can help restore it in memory of my Grandpa Joe.

1979 Ford F-250 Custom 4x4 400 NP435 NP205 - Project
400 Engine Build
1997 Ford F-150 XLT Scab 4x4 Off Road 4.6L 4R70W - DD
Old 05-28-2013, 01:05 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 FORD MAN View Post
Looks good.

How many mpg do you get?
Did you mean gallons per mile?

No but really, fuel gauge is broken. tank was only kinda full. no idea what we put in, or whats left.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:05 PM
New User

Well...it may not be a 391. Went to get filters and fluids today and the bill was over $100 with just the filter. It was some 10" tall monstrosity, and I knew ours wasn't that tall. I told him to hold on, went home, grabbed all the part numbers and got everything out the door for about $60.

So what engine do I have, and how do I go about identifying it? This link shows a data plate, but where is that plate located?

Heres the air filter part no.

This engine looks just like the 391 in the link above

Filter(s)? I got a replacement for the black one (FRAM TG8A). Is the white one a oil filter as well? ****...just saw that now. Back to the parts store!

Is it possible that it is a 391 with a different air filter? Or is it more likely an engine swap? HELP! Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just looking at these pics now, looks like spark plug wires need replaced soon as well!
Old 05-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Senior User

orangeford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Look at the sticker on the passenger side valve cover to confirm engine informatio. You never know if it got swapped out and if so, it may not be what the truck vin# says it should be. What you are calling a white filter appears to be the fuel pump mounted fuel filter. It unscrews and there is a replaceable element inside.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Elder User

fordcrzymike is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yeah looks like fuel, good luck unsrewing the canister. They almost always seize on and usually you crush them during the removal process.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Posting Guru

VocaTexas is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.VocaTexas is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It's been years since I saw a 391, but I think that's what you have. I'm going mainly by the unusual thermostat housing. One of the guys in the 'big truck' section may be able to help.

As for removing the fuel filter canister, I use a cloth strap wrench and small ratchet. If the canister doesn't want to come loose, GENTLY tap around it where it threads onto the fuel pump. Unless it's been on there for years without being removed, it should come loose. When I screw it back on I put a dab of grease on the o-ring and threads to prevent it from seizing.

I think they used to make a wrench to remove the canister. It fit into the three small indentations in the bottom of it if I recall correctly.
More Dentsides Waiting To Be Resurrected
Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
I do not recommend using bearing or axle grease on the filter gaskets. It drys out, gets hard and really sticks. It is recommended to put a lite coat of motor oil on the oil filter gasket. That would also work for the fuel filter. But Vaseline or white lithium is what is recommended. When relapsing the oil filter be damn sure the old gasket comes out with the old filter. Sometimes ya have to dig them out. Same with the fuel filter. And no one has yet said that Fram filters are the worst ever. I thought it should be a PH8A Fram. Anyway after the first 100 miles or so I would change the oil again and put on a Ford Autolite filter. A ford dealer should have both filters or a Napa store.

A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 05-29-2013, 11:53 PM
Post Fiend

montana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud of
Looks like a 391FT to me.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Posting Guru

Rusty_Old_F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rusty_Old_F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That's a good looking rig, looks like someone took good care of it! I was surprised to see the Allison. The usual 4 or 5spd stick can be quite the handful with a 2spd rear thrown into the mix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic y block View Post
Fram filters are the worst ever. I thought it should be a PH8A Fram. Anyway after the first 100 miles or so I would change the oil again and put on a Ford Autolite filter. A ford dealer should have both filters or a Napa store.
A WIX filter (NAPA and Carquest premium brands are made by WIX) are also excellent and are a lot cheaper than a motorcraft. 15w-40 Rotella or DELO diesel oils are also excellent oils for these old engines.

The 391 is part of the FT family (very closedly related to the FE enignes 360, 390, etc) The problem is they all look pretty much identical. It could be a 391, 389xd, 361 or 330HD But the paperwork says it's a 391, so it probably is. Parts store catalogs can be funny with older trucks, certain things get omitted or changed or it's just plain wrong.

Sam
Old 05-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Old School

X2 with ya Sam. If ya can take the Fram filter back and get most anything else. I was an owner of a small chain of repair shops. I have seen Fram filters do some very crazy things that no other filter ever has. And none of it good or pretty. Pretty messy when they split down the side and an purge the crank case oil on the road.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Posting Guru

crazy96863 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wix are best but walmart sells motorcraft filters for less than frams... $4
Old 05-30-2013, 11:03 AM
New User

That FRAM filter was pre-oil change. I got a NAPA special and NAPA 10w-40 that we are gonna run for 100 miles and then swap out with the good stuff.

Put the air filter on, and did the oil/filter change, and she runs A LOT better now. She ran fine before, but opening up that air filter really let her breathe.

Drained the air tanks last night. Don't think that's been done in a LOOOONG time. Lots of muck came out, and it smelled like a lot like fuel...is that normal? Also required some gentle persuasion from some baling wire to get more gunk out.

The only major thing left to do is fix an exhaust leak and valve cover leak. I have the gaskets ready. Not sure I want to mess with the header bolts...I've broken them before! Any tips would be wonderful! Heat? WD-40?

Valve cover should be relatively simple...and I'm replacing spark plug wires tonight. Also plan on draining that eaton rear, and filling her back up with goop. That's some nasty smelling stuff.

It IS a 391, verified by you guys, and the sticker on the valve cover.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:03 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks