You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!
Long time follower and I have finally joined!! I used to run a big Red gas burner GMC but now I have converted to the 7.3 Aussie F250. Loving the truck so far and have heaps of mods in the works and just as many questions where I hope to get the benifit of your shared knowledge.
So here goes.
I have a heap of stuff coming over on USAtoAUS and it should all be home when I get back so hopefully I can play with the thing but I have a few questions.
A short list of my current mod's only had the truck 11 months
A chip that was in there where I purchased the truck, unsure of make/type.
WW to stock turbo, very impressed with this
Extra Tranny cooler
Sp Diesel exhaust EBPV control module( Still troubleshooting this one)
Rebuilt tranny with upgraded VB when purchased
1. I have a 4" Diamond Eye dual system coming including the 4" DP, from what I have read in other places is some people have managed to get the DP's to fit into our trucks due to some extra bends? Can anyone confirm this, I understand the firewall lip issue.
2. I have recieved my 3 gauge pillar pod and I am looking at getting 3 in 1 gauges from Autoron here is Aus. I am just wondering that their max boost shows only 35 psi? is this enough of a gauge for our truck (see below for more) I will be hopefully using the top pod for the 3 in one and the middle one to mount the phone holder and the bottom for the GPS unit I am looking at.
3. Looking at going to a GTP38R turbo set up. I am just curious as to wether this will be a good investment as I am fairly happy with the stock and WW but as always chasing more!! Flipping coins between GTP38R or just getting the ported shroud from ATS??? She gets smokey a little when tromped?? but clears quickly
4. Going to upgrade the chip to the 16 position Hydra-Chip. I don't plan on using them all but from what I understand they can run tunes from anyone and are able to be re-downloaded by me from OEM to suit my needs and uses. So it should be a remote set up.
5. I have a dual remote resivior shock system coming for the truck as I got a stupid run out deal on ebay ($35 each/new stock run out) they are the SST from supa-lift and what I could find out was they are made by Bilstien and rebadged so should be good I hope.
I am not looking for crazy HP as I want to keep it reliable as to start touring in the future after many,many more mods. But she already breaks traction in the wet in any gear with any load, so I am already impressed!!
Going to be off the road for the next few months as I do the lift kit/shocks/Steering Stabs and tractions bar install, along with gauge install and exhaust.
The original owner had the brain fart to fit 315 tyres to the stock 7" rims so now they rub on the springs and bug the heck out of me. I purchased some good used 20" rims from Gumtree and dispite the seller assuring me they didn't rub the rubbed just as bad with the 305's that came on them let alone a set of 315's (35's) i looked at the wheel spacer option but that didn't appeal to me as I need around 25mm ofset change. I am thinking about having the wheels built up and then machined back to the offset I need? Anyone ever experienced this? I have plenty of length on the original wheel studs so the nut will be fully engaged. But now I am torn between following this or just cutting my losses and going with 16"s with 35's to make replacement when touring a better option???? I will be looking at carrying 2 spares so still undecided.
Any way cheers for all the information I have learnt from all the past posts they have helped me to this point, and I hope help me go further.
Have a good read & also research the US 1999-2003 forum.
Personally my take on your questions:
1) if you're not towing heavy and therefore don't need a decel/exhaust brake tune then get rid of the EBPV completely, go for a high flow turbo outlet and EBPV delete pedestal - also delete the AIH;
2) try to find a 45 psi boost gauge to cope with your WW & tunes;
3) go for the 6 pos tuner set up;
4) for more ponies the next thing is stage 2 injectors;
5) careful of popping head gaskets if you try to extract too much power, you can also upgrade the head-studs to help avoid this;
6) source the correct offset wheels, there's usually a reason why someone off loads something on Gumtree or eBay (cause its not quite right);
7) 4" DP will fit with the cab lip ground off and some careful dents placed in the DP;
8) look at the common mods, hutch&harpoon, FRX, and better air filter - check out stuff on Riff Raff Diesel;
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
NOT done: big oil, big brakes, big turbo. Next Mods? None - I'm done!
Australia: where Mechanics use spanners & Plumbers use wrenches
Thanks for the feedback. I have done a heap of searching on this site and others in the US and found lots of good info. Here is a link I found to a one stop shop for mods. http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/archive/index.php/f-25.html
I hope I am not breaking any rules with link, if so please let me know!!!
Glad to hear I can make the 4" DP work as I was getting worried. Is the Garrett 38R worth it as opposed to the stocker with a WW? anyone had both? or would adding a ATS shroud be better bang for the buck? I am already running K&N filters.
Agreed on the wheels I guess I was still trying to make what I had work being cheap I guess!!!
On the 6 position v's a 16 chip, apart from the extra 10 positions is there something else I am missing? The Hydra Chips seem to have a good rep is the US?
I haven't planned on bigger sticks as I thought you had to go big oil for them and I would like to keep as much reliabilty as possible. I have kicked around gas fumigation but my mechanic seems to be dead against it? anyone had any horror stories with this?
One thing I have noticed with this truck is the floor boards get mighty warm in summer, My GMC gasser used to do the same? I was thinking of a heat shield/deflection plate under there same as I built for my old truck, It's a bit redneck but seemed to help, I am hoping the 4" will help resolve a lot of this????
Thanks for that. I thought it might be something like that from what I had read but for every negative someone always has a positive. Reliabilty is the biggest thing for me given purchase price is Oz and then the price of parts and down time.
I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but to be honest it couldn't be too hard to piece together a kit. They are very simple, just meter the propane with respect to the amount of air coming into the engine (would be nice to also do it with respect to the throttle too)
The main thing you need to be concerned about is making sure (with the vapour injection kits) that the LPG is vapourised before it is injected - that's where I have heard of the failures really occuring. Along with injecting too much propane/running it with a hot tune. In Aus's climate you shouldn't have a problem with it vapourising (as long as you fit a tank that can't be overfilled). You can often find used kits from the states really cheaply, as a lot of the guys here have pulled them off their trucks as it has become less financially viable there (Propane isn't a great deal cheaper than diesel now). I've always wanted to fit a tank that you could also use for BBQ'ing when you go camping.
I also think the federal LPG conversion rebate will apply too (as long as you still have a GVW under 4500)
Adrian | 2005 4x4 Diesel Courier CrewCab in Aus | 2012 4x4 CC/SB F250 6.7 in the US
2000 4x4 SC/LB F350 7.3 ZF-6 (sold)
If the propane and the tunes can't be run at the same then i see no real point??? I am not overly concerned with the fuel economy part (hence the truck purchase) just expect it to be reasonable. I like the BBQ idea might have to look when I put the water tank in to see if there is some room for a 9kg gas bottle???
I will see how the 4" goes WRT the heat.
I can't wait to get home all the parts should be landed and I can hit the go button. I am all wound up after catching up on all the TRUCK PORN online!!!!!
Oh and a big thumbs up to Clay from RiffRaff diesel. awsome source of information and down the line not just trying to sell you stuff you don't really need or won't fit your needs just right!!! You just don't see that very often more, so i will definately be supporting his products on my truck!!!!
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.