Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Senior User

eveready77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
air ride issue

Hello everyone, first time posting in this section, needing help. My wife came home yesterday and her Expedition EL was riding extremely low in the rear, it is drooped all the way down and has no suspension travel at all. I have tried searching this forum for similar situations and worded it as many different ways as I can think of and have not found much. I found one that was similar but the op did not follow up to say what fixed it.
I tried a new relay under the hood and that did not change a thing. I do not hear the compressor running and would like to have some ideas on trouble shooting or finding out if this is a common problem or not. Thanks for any help. For now her truck is parked until we can figure out what is going on and she is driving mine.
'92 Bronco 351w E4OD, Nite edition.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Freshman User

svfetter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Could be just a leak in the air line. I believe yours is rear air only. On my 2000 I had air front and rear. So systems would be hard to compare. Could also be a ride height sensor.

I would get it to the dealer. You need to have knowledge of the system to find out what the problem is and repair
Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Senior User

Thanks for the reply, that's one of the things I'm looking for is some knowlege on this system. If its a compressor or ride height sensor I would like to think it wouldnt be too hard to change out. With out knowing how to trouble shoot it you end up throwing parts at it and hoping for a happy ending. I can work on engines and like to think I'm pretty handy with a set of tools but I don't want to jump into this blindly. From searching this toopic it seems like it is pretty rare for there to be any trouble with these newer Expys air ride set ups.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Freshman User

svfetter is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would like to help but really hard to as my system was of the older vintage. I did have a situation where the rear collapsed. Front was OK. Turned out to be a cracked air line connector which they said was very common at the time. Compressor kept running trying to raise the rear. Had to turn it off myself and take it to the dealer.

A few years Later the ride height went crazy and they said the front sensor went bad.

Not sure on yours but My compressor was very difficult to access. Glad I never had to try to replace it.

Wish I could be more help.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Elder User

montecarlo31 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Both my 13 and 08 had/ have air ride. I would start by checking for voltage at the relay, does the relay hot side have power? if so move back to the compressor and see if it has voltage. If it does I would use my house compressor and attempt to inflate the air suspension (NOTE USE LOW PRESSURE, no need to go crazy and blow fittings and bags). If it will hold pressure at say 10 psi for a few hours I would say your compressor **** the bed.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Senior User

Well, after further review, I found that the compressor is shot. Considering I will at least have that to fix plus what ever else is wrong or leaking to cause the compresser to run more before it failed, I decided to order the conversion kit from Eddie at American air suspension. Bit the bullet for the front and rear kit to have new springs and struuts all around it. If anyone has trouble with their system I would highly reccomend giving Eddie a call. Super nice fella to talk to and deal with also very knowlegable. Hope to have the truck on the lift and replace the springs this weekend. Then on to the spark plugs.....
Old 06-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Elder User

montecarlo31 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eveready77 View Post
Well, after further review, I found that the compressor is shot. Considering I will at least have that to fix plus what ever else is wrong or leaking to cause the compresser to run more before it failed, I decided to order the conversion kit from Eddie at American air suspension. Bit the bullet for the front and rear kit to have new springs and struuts all around it. If anyone has trouble with their system I would highly reccomend giving Eddie a call. Super nice fella to talk to and deal with also very knowlegable. Hope to have the truck on the lift and replace the springs this weekend. Then on to the spark plugs.....
Forget that....first time you haul 1,500 lbs of people in that thing you'll be hating not having the air suspension. Mine kicks on when I have 4 guys from the office going to lunch but it ride nice and smooth and even with a trailer it feels stable and no sway.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Senior User

Wow, you must have a habit of hauling around Samoans or perhaps Sumo wrestlers. I go about 185 pounds, have a wife and two little girls. All together we might tip the scales at 350-375, add luggage for a week at the beach and we still aren't even half way to 1500 pounds. Very occasionally we might use it to pull our 20' ski boat to the lake (20 minute trip). Other than that we use my truck (3/4 ton Diesel in my signature) to haul anything heavy, pull the boat or camper, haul rock, gravel, mulch, or just about anything else that you would use a TRUCK for. My wife generally uses the Expedition to take the girls to dance, and get groceries. Other than that we use it to go to Church, or take road trips and vocations.
Thankfully it came equipped with a HD trailer towing package that included a nice frame mounted reciever hitch. That will be useful incase I decide to haul an ATV and utility trailer, or the boat, I can use the weight distributing hitch, tortion bars and sway control from the RV since I don't have the air bags anymore...
Maybe I should install air bags on my Broncos and the Diesel too since regular suspension springs sag and sway horribly with any load on them.
I'm not trying to insult you Monte Carlo but let's not get carried away. Does Ford not manufacture Expeditions with out air suspension?
Old 06-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Senior User

UPS delivered the kit about 30 minutes ago. If I get time I hope to have it don't this weekend and will post up how it went and whether or not we are satisfied with the conversion. To be completely fair I will honestly admit it if we liked the air ride better.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Senior User

Got everything swapped over this afternoon and the install went very well, and it was actually pretty easy compared to what we were expecting. The Expedition sits at a nice stance very close to what it was before with the functioning air suspension. Took it out for a test drive and was very impressed. I actually thought it rode better than it did with the air ride, but I don't drive it every day so I had the wife take it out and try it. In her opinion it rides as good or better as it did before. She is happy and has her truck back, that makes me happy. The best part is I don't have to worry about something else going haywire on the air suspension later on down the road. Thank you to Eddie at American air suspensoin and to Strutmasters.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:58 AM