Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Posting Guru

redman84 has a good reputation on FTE.redman84 has a good reputation on FTE.
Mods, Maintenance, and Life(long and kind of pic heavy)

I bought a house last July and “modding” it has consumed most of my time and budget. I’ve dropped by to read some threads here and there but haven’t even had time to really be a part of FTE either. So to say that Redman has been neglected would be somewhat of an understatement. Over the past couple of months I got to do several of the things on my list as well as some others that just popped up.

My AC manifold and hose assembly started leaking just as the warm weather moved in. It’s not a hard job, just kind of a pain since the system has to be vac’ed and charged before and after. The AC blows colder than before. I guess it had been leaking down for a while. When I was ordering parts I threw in a Fumoto drain valve and put in on during the last oil change. That is a pretty handy little rig; kind of expensive but I think worth it. Not sure if it is the better gasket or thread tape but it also stopped my slow drip from the plug.

I’ve had gauges on the floor for a while. Got the boost in some time ago but just got around to putting in my EGT. It was the first time I’ve ever tapped threads before so I was kind of nervous but pulled it off. There is a slight issue with the lighting but it shows temp fine.

Not sure why but I’ve always loved the 40/20/40 split bench seats. I guess I like the console for me and my buds out playing but the woman can still sit close like in a classic bench setup. Anyway, I’ve looked for one for quite a while but with no luck finding any in my lovely red color. I finally found some a while back in a regular cab. I knew they wouldn’t be a direct swap but fortunately nothing was usable from that setup except the seats themselves. Bill was kind enough to give me a rockin deal on some frames out of one of his super cabs. The wife and washing machine were finally able to get it all cleaned up for me to put in. I know all that red isn’t for everyone but it’s definitely grown on me.

At the sametime as the seats I put in a new-to-me dash pad that Nate slung me for a quite a generous price. There’s a small crack in it but NOTHING like my 18 year old Texas one.

Old

New

It was time for new tires since my TTB had devoured another set prematurely. I bought some and had just conceded to the fact that they weren’t going to last very long. I’d also accepted that I would never find a decent Dana 60 setup in 3.54 for under $1500. Not sure why but I called a yard that I’d checked several times in the past and the guy was all, “Yeah man. I have one of those. It’s in a 97 I think.” I went to check it out and sure as he!! there it was. The whole dang thing hub to hub, steering linkage, pitman arm, track bar and bracket, u bolt plate, springs, and even the double cardan joint drive shaft. All that was missing was the t case yoke and rear blocks. They cut the frame off behind the spring hangers and loaded it into my truck. I decided to go through it and went ahead and gave it some XRF ball joints, poly spring and track bar bushings, and some lifetime MIC BS tie rods and draglink. Pulling that D50 out was so gratifying. I couldn’t believe how much better it rides. Hopefully going to get some Bilsteins on it soon and lift the rear to level as well. I haven’t gotten the sway bar on yet either. Hopefully it will help some with the body roll. I want to get a steering stabilizer and Redhead gear box too. I think that should make it a nice handling monster.

Ever since my first fuel pump R&R/fuel bowl rebuild I wanted to do efuel but couldn’t swing the price for a kit and didn’t fully understand our system enough to build my own. I read every thread on it I could find and spent a lot of time crawling over the truck and decided to take it on. It’s been a slow process gathering parts but I just used extra money here and there to save for it and didn’t get in a hurry. Finally, the other day I got the last of the supplies and went to work. I don’t think anything is of my own design. I used bits of many folks’ write-ups. I don’t know whose were original but I took notes from TimC63, Tom S, tjbeggs, Travis(strokin’_tatsch), lovesdunes, Jeffrey(bad12jr), King7765, mjonesjr, Bill(ReBilld), DzlJim, and I’m positive more than that. I got everything on and hooked the pump straight to the battery to check for leaks and set pressure. Seemed to work fine, brought pressure up to 60psi, and tightened one fitting that had a drip. Wired it up and boom, fired right up the first time! My projects never really go that way so I was flipping stoked.

Mocked Up

Installed

OPS

20A Maxi and factory relay in PDB

I tried my best to be economical. The build sheet is the price of the part only. It doesn't include tax, shipping on some, etc. There are also a few things that were acquired in other ways that aren't on there. A very generous donor provided me with a few JIC fittings for the reg that would have been at least $20 more. I also got some 12 AWG wire and loom from work that was extra scrap. Plus metal, hose clamps, yada yada.

Build Sheet

Also added this guy to the gang. Seems like a good friend and potential hunter.

Hard day at the fire house

And I finally earned my 2nd badge...

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ
Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Post Fiend

ReBilld has a great reputation on FTE.ReBilld has a great reputation on FTE.ReBilld has a great reputation on FTE.ReBilld has a great reputation on FTE.ReBilld has a great reputation on FTE.
Everything looks great Jacob! Good job buddy!

'95 F350 CCLB 4x4 dually,ZF 5spd,4.10,Rosewood Stage 2s,T500,S366,IC,Tony Wildman tunes,e-fuel,6637,CCV mod,3.5" DP,Diamond Eye 5" exhaust,Valair clutch,IH water pump,Scangauge,GlowShift gauges
'92 F350 CCLB 4x4,ZF 5spd,4.10,460 gas to PSD conversion project truck
Old 05-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Post Fiend

427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.427 fordman has a great reputation on FTE.
Ya, you've been busy Jacob! It does look great, I agree!
"TheBeast"1997F2504x4dually4.10's,160k,140VIDM,HPX ,4-5"dp, S366 turbo w/wicked wheel, 6637, elec. fuel,rosewood stage ones,php hydra,arp studs, comp springs, smith brothers push rods, honeybadgerjr hpop,riffraff res,melling lpop,180 tstat,6.0 fan and IC,trucool,coolant filter,scan gauge,lots of other gauges,racer x valve body and billet converter, upgraded trans, F550 leaf springs,SD dual tensioner upgrade, cold ac mod
Old 05-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Post Fiend

fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.
Glad you found a d60 finally.sure makes that truck a keeper! I'm suprised bill let any red interior parts go. I hate not having my center part in. good job on reviving the ol redman!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:05 AM
Posting Guru

redman84 has a good reputation on FTE.redman84 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReBilld View Post
Everything looks great Jacob! Good job buddy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 fordman View Post
Ya, you've been busy Jacob! It does look great, I agree!
Thanks guys. I'd have never dreamed my truck to be like this without finding FTE. The wife was riding with me the other day and just kept talking about how much she loves it now; unprovoked at that. Maybe it was the lime-a-ritas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman67 View Post
Glad you found a d60 finally.sure makes that truck a keeper! I'm suprised bill let any red interior parts go. I hate not having my center part in. good job on reviving the ol redman!
Yeah man, part of the reason I made another D60 push was from seeing a pic of your truck in the shock thread. I really like that thing a lot. Now to just figure out how to go about the super to crew cab conversion...
MOΛΩN ΛABÉ
Old 05-28-2013, 01:18 AM
Post Fiend

fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.
Wow.I'm happy to have provided any positive boost to the project.it looks to be getting there nicely!now go turn that 200k into 300k! Lola
Old 05-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Senior User

Bill97 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great set up....and e-fuel for under 500! I will have to bookmark this
Old 05-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Postmaster

tshrager has a good reputation on FTE.tshrager has a good reputation on FTE.
Truck looks great!

96 F350 4x4 PSD, CCLB, E40D -> ZF5, 4.10ls, Riffraff 6637, 3" DP to 4" straight pipe, SD 17*, Autometer Phantoms, BTS tunes, 180/80 stage II's, DIY/Rebilld E Fuel, Aeroforce Scan Gauge
On The Shelf - Intercooler/pipes 350-380HP on the Travis Dyno
Old 05-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Postmaster

stainlessstroker95 has a good reputation on FTE.stainlessstroker95 has a good reputation on FTE.
Alot of time and money but it makes it all worth it in the end. Now its time for turbo and injectors right haha.
Gabe 95 f250 4x4 super cab psd, zf 5 speed, 6637 air intake, scan gauge, stancor gpr, ccv mod, 140v IDM, HPX line, irate t4 mount, s366 turbo, i/c, 3" plenums, Rosewood 238/80 hybrids, T500, studs, springs, rods, DP Tuner f6 chip, diamond eye ss 4" exhaust, 3" dp, irate e fuel, short throw shifter, Valair kevlar/ceramic clutch, Destination MTs, d60 RSK V codes , shackle flip B codes, bilstien shocks, scorpion bed liner, custom tailgate. 96 f350 4x4 psd, dually flatbed welding truck, zf 5 speed, stock. 79 bronco.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Posting Guru

Awitte58 has a good reputation on FTE.Awitte58 has a good reputation on FTE.Awitte58 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redman84 View Post
Installed

It might just be my eyes, or my eyes are correct and my brain is wrong, but do you have that plumbed so it goes
Fuel tank --> first filter ---> pump ---> secondary filter ---> engine?

I am just curious because I thought the pump should be the first thing after the tank since this pump is designed to 'push' not 'pull' fuel. And having the first filter BEFORE the pump might cause some restriction?

Shouldnt it be
Fuel tank --> Pump --> first filter --> second filter --> engine?

Im double checking because this weekend I plan to mock up my bracket.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Posting Guru

Awitte58 has a good reputation on FTE.Awitte58 has a good reputation on FTE.Awitte58 has a good reputation on FTE.
It did makes sense to me having at least the first filter be before the pump because you dont want nasty fuel going through it causing it to fail, but I just didnt think it would hurt it that bad.

Id rather have my pump take the abuse than my injectors due to restricted fuel delivery.

And it all looks great! Including the pup n family.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:05 PM
FOREIGN GURU

RÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Jacob, you really were very bussy, congrats, everything looks fine.

Can you enlight me (or anybody) how can you put phrases between pics, please?

96 F250, E40D, 2WD, 3.55, 145K. DIY intake-exhaust brake. DP 3-3.5" ceramic coated; HPX; GPR switch; Isspro gauges; shim FPR; Tru-cool; CCV mod; 4" SS exhaust; SS 5" tip; no cat; RacerX VB; TW 6p chip; 203*;140IDM;6.0IC; cristal clear lenses; fuel tank mod; AC cold mod; coolant filter.

«Primum non nosere» Drive safely !
Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 PM
Post Fiend

oldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to all
WOW Jacob, you had your hands full. Looks great!!
The Mare 97 dually cc,modified s366 turbo,stage II's,IC,studs,springs,rods,JW auto,4:10 LS,air bags,SD uvch,efuel,FS2500 bypass oil filter,HVHF IDM,IH WP,6.0 trans cooler & rad fan,MBRP 4",SD tensioner,AFE air filter,220 amp alt,38 gal rear tank & 33 gal aux bed tank,aux oil cooler,soundproofed,3 different TS chips,ac cold mod,XS batteries,riffraff hpop reservoir,aluminum radiator,HoneyBadgerJr hpop, water injection
Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 AM
Postmaster

glovemeister is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.glovemeister is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awitte58 View Post
It did makes sense to me having at least the first filter be before the pump because you dont want nasty fuel going through it causing it to fail, but I just didnt think it would hurt it that bad.

Id rather have my pump take the abuse than my injectors due to restricted fuel delivery.

And it all looks great! Including the pup n family.
He has pre/post pump filtration like he should.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:53 AM
Postmaster

pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.
Superb work Jacob! Nice job there pardner!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:53 AM