Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2013, 06:16 AM
Posting Guru

hammer65 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.hammer65 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fuel Gauge

Yesterday, I started my truck and the LOW FUEL indicator light came on.
Fuel Gauge showed empty, but I had just fueled the day before.

After driving about a mile, and then restarting, it now works again.

Any ideas?

A Nickle, is not worth a Dime anymore !!!!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Senior User

lartross is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
iffy ground?
Larry 2000 F250 sd, sc, 4x4 long bed 7.3l psd, auto, hutch/harpoon, 6637, 4" turbo back w/high flow muffler ,bypass oil filter, coolant filter, BDP tunes, ELC coolant, Riff/Raff intercooler boots, cvs mod, John Woods valve body, bellowed up pipes, egt gauge, transmission temperature gauge, boost gauge, air bags with compresser, fuel pressure gauge. B.E.S.T. map
Old 05-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Posting Guru

guitarpicr has a good reputation on FTE.guitarpicr has a good reputation on FTE.guitarpicr has a good reputation on FTE.
Or maybe the float stuck down & got freed up after you drove it a little.
Bill - 02 -F250 Lariet 7.3 PSD- SB -X Cab 2WD - Billet Grill - Alum. Rear diff.- CCV and 6637 w/ Pete cover-Fumoto-Isspro 3 gauge pillar -Tru-cool max - SS HPX - Silverline 4" SS - Hutch & Harpoon-JWVB-EBPV delete-FRX- Rear air bags-32' 5er- Prodigy-ELC- 2006- E-350 - 5.4 Work Van
Old 05-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Elder User

diehardstroker has a good reputation on FTE.diehardstroker has a good reputation on FTE.
ive been parked on steep hills with the front facing down and the fuel gauge has shown empty and the light came on, as soon as i got on level ground i watched it rise, pretty cool since every other time its going down haha
Mitch, 2000 F250 7.3 4x4 160k miles. MODS: Beans Tunes. 4" exhaust. S&B intake. boost fooler. USA ported housing w/ Clays billet compressor wheel. Sinister Diesel coolant filter. glowshifts 3 in 1 gauge. AIH delete. bellowed uppies. Garret HFO. Plenum inserts. Mishimoto radiator hoses.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Elder User

bakerbuilttracks is starting off with a positive reputation.
these floats and or sending units in the tank are mounted on the back side of the pick up foot. The tank also dose not have any baffles in it.

If parked nose down you will notice low fuel on ur gauge. If nose up it will show full or fuller than you are.

OP..... Most likely if you ran it below a 1/4 tank before filling up like Bill mentioned it probably got stuck for a bit then freed back up.

Watch your mileage per tank and if it keeps reoccurring then might need to drop the tank and inspect, also a good time for hutch and harpoon.
BAKERBUILT TRACKS 1999.5 F-250 7.3L SD 4x4, EDGE EVOLUTION MONITOR (for gauges and code reader ), DP-TUNER F6, MBRP 4" TURBO BACK, S&B COLD AIR INTAKE, CCV MOD, WICKED WHEEL, RR IC BOOTS, BD WASTEGATE ACTUATOR, FRx, HPX, IH BELLOWED UP-PIPES, 6.0 TRANS COOLER, 4R100 with (RV T/C, STIFFER ACCUMULATOR SPRINGS, VALVE BODY ), FOIL DELETE, HUTCH and HARPOON, TRAIN HORNS, 35x12.50x20 TOYO A/T II's,
Old 05-28-2013, 05:29 AM
Posting Guru

hammer65 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.hammer65 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks everyone. Jim

A Nickle, is not worth a Dime anymore !!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:21 AM
Junior User

rtalich is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am experiencing this problem... did a search and found that a lot of people have too. But no resolution was posted.
2002 F-250 Crew Cab, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, DP Tuner, 4" Exhaust, AFE Intake, ELC, Coolant Filter, 203 Tstat w Billet Housing, 6.0 Transmission Cooler, External Transmission Filter, On-Board Air, AutoEnginuity Ford Enhanced, JW Towmaster, International Bellowed Up-Pipes
Old 10-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Elder User

diehardstroker has a good reputation on FTE.diehardstroker has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks View Post
these floats and or sending units in the tank are mounted on the back side of the pick up foot. The tank also dose not have any baffles in it.

If parked nose down you will notice low fuel on ur gauge. If nose up it will show full or fuller than you are.

OP..... Most likely if you ran it below a 1/4 tank before filling up like Bill mentioned it probably got stuck for a bit then freed back up.

Watch your mileage per tank and if it keeps reoccurring then might need to drop the tank and inspect, also a good time for hutch and harpoon.
Seems like a good solution to me right here and a good explanation
Old 10-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Junior User

rtalich is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardstroker View Post
Seems like a good solution to me right here and a good explanation
Thanks!! Kind of I guess. I guess I was looking for the smoking gun... I don't want to go thru the trouble of dropping the tank and not finding the problem, you know what I mean?

The issue I'm seeing is this... and it's happened twice so far. With a full tank of fuel... driving down the street the gauge would immediately go to emply, fuel light comes on. Pull over, turn engine off, restart and fuel guage would read normally again. Did the same thing this morning.
2002 F-250 Crew Cab, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, DP Tuner, 4" Exhaust, AFE Intake, ELC, Coolant Filter, 203 Tstat w Billet Housing, 6.0 Transmission Cooler, External Transmission Filter, On-Board Air, AutoEnginuity Ford Enhanced, JW Towmaster, International Bellowed Up-Pipes
Old 10-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Elder User

maybe an electrical connection issue?? Im not to sure about that, could maybe be a faulty float, I dont know...
Mitch, 2000 F250 7.3 4x4 160k miles. MODS: Beans Tunes. 4" exhaust. S&B intake. boost fooler. USA ported housing w/ Clays billet compressor wheel. Sinister Diesel coolant filter. glowshifts 3 in 1 gauge. AIH delete. bellowed uppies. Garret HFO. Plenum inserts. Mishimoto radiator hoses.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Senior User

microdevil45 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtalich View Post
Thanks!! Kind of I guess. I guess I was looking for the smoking gun... I don't want to go thru the trouble of dropping the tank and not finding the problem, you know what I mean?

The issue I'm seeing is this... and it's happened twice so far. With a full tank of fuel... driving down the street the gauge would immediately go to emply, fuel light comes on. Pull over, turn engine off, restart and fuel guage would read normally again. Did the same thing this morning.
If you go through the trouble of dropping the tank go ahead and do the hutch and harpoon mod while your in there. Also would be a good time to replace that pickup foot since it is more than likely broken. Also give you a reason to inspect your tank and replace the sending unit for the fuel if needed. So in other words it would be worth it. IMHO

Member: Florida Chapter.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel