No Oiling Right Bank of Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No Oiling Right Bank of Rockers

After 2 years of not running the 312, I finally got it all set up and it fired right off. Problem is the right bank of rockers isn't getting oiled. I changed the oil and filter, and pre-oiled with a drill before starting it up (I only pulled the left side cover to check ). Oil pressure is excellent at the mechanical gauge.

Wanted to find out where to start looking for the clog. Old oil was diesel black, but no sludge or chunks in it. Engine runs great, aside from the clicking dry rockers.

http://s69.photobucket.com/user/ihateminimumwage/media/Car%20Junk/DSCN1937_zpsd8c40bd7.mp4.html

Left side

Right side

And my hillbilly setup to run it...

Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 AM
unibody62
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have the same problem with mine after a complete rebuild. I posted question here last year and got some help, but I never resolved the issue. I dread tearing it back down to check the cam bearings, but sounds like that must be my problem.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 AM
hotrod351
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its been about 30 + years since i had a 312, great engines, but as i remember they offered a kit that you plumbed into the oil sender and ran a little copper tube over head to oil the rockers, the oil problem was caused by the cam bearings turning just enough that the oil wasnt able to feed the rockers. guess the easy way would be to pull the cam and check. i do remember now that some one actually used a long drill to go down though passage from the head and drill though the cam bearings. guess that would be a way of checking. pull the cam use a wire from above and see if it goes though the cam bearing. again they are great engines.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:09 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Well, that's not fun to hear. It ran great when I pulled it a couple of years ago, so I was hoping it was just some sludge in a passage, but sounds like I might have to dig into it a bit.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:12 PM
hotrod351
Elder User
you have to see why its not getting oil from the cam bearings up to the rockers. oil goes from the mains up to the cam, then up to the rockers. ive heard of it happening more than once. but if the rockers arent getting any oil, well better that than no oil pressure at all.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:00 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Hmm, just pulled the rocker assembly and there's clean oil under the mounts. Going to run some compressed air into the oil passage through the head, in case it is a clog, and clean out the rocker shaft. Hoping that's the issue. Might as well do the simple stuff first, before having to tear further into it...

Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Post a few pix of what you have please
Roy

Old 05-28-2013, 02:10 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ihateminimumwage
Hmm, just pulled the rocker assembly and there's clean oil under the mounts. Going to run some compressed air into the oil passage through the head, in case it is a clog, and clean out the rocker shaft. Hoping that's the issue. Might as well do the simple stuff first, before having to tear further into it...
There is a good chance the clog is where the oil channel through the head takes a right angle dog leg at the deck surface. Try the compressed air, and with the rocker assembly off prime oil supply back at the dist. opening. Look for oil coming out the top of the head passage. If that doesnt work, hydraulic pressure with a low temp grease at the same top port MAY work. Then again, if the problem is at the cam bearing....

Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
First remove the shaft and make sure it is assembled correctly. You should see a hole in the shaft that corresponds with the hole in the head. Just flip it over and look. If you do not see that hole, it is assembled incorrectly. Once that is confirmed, turn the pump by hand or with a drill and see if oil is flowing from the head.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:20 PM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
I apologize for changing the subject but the pictures of the rockers reminded me of something. Why do some Y's have the oil drip/deflector shields that bolt under the rocker shafts and some don't?

Old 05-28-2013, 06:25 PM
hotrod351
Elder User
same as charliemccraney, and me, i had a friend that had to drilled down though because the holes wernt lined up form head to cam bearings. if you cant see you should be able to slide a wire though and look up the cam bearing journals. is it ok to drill though, i dont know, might shorten the life of the engine down the road or might not hurt anything. but yeah first check it out, its cheaper than buying a new engine. and when its all said and done youll be happy and know its right.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:29 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by charliemccraney
First remove the shaft and make sure it is assembled correctly. You should see a hole in the shaft that corresponds with the hole in the head. Just flip it over and look. If you do not see that hole, it is assembled incorrectly. Once that is confirmed, turn the pump by hand or with a drill and see if oil is flowing from the head.
Pulled the assembly out after I got off of work last night, the the hole wasn't lined up. Rotated the mounts so it's set up properly. Went out just a minute ago and primed the pump with a drill again with the rockers off, oil came right up to the head. Going to put it back together and see what it does, but all seems to be good now. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2013, 03:23 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
The overflow tube also locates the shaft within the stands. If the shaft was installed incorrectly, then that tube has also probably been shortened. Make sure it goes not only through the stand but also through the hole in the shaft. If it does not, get a replacement.
The shaft probably will not move once bolted down, but the tube does ensure that it gets installed correctly and does not change position during installation because if I'm not mistaken, the tube will fit only that hole, so if the tube is in, you know it is right. I've never checked for myself, though.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:43 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by charliemccraney
The overflow tube also locates the shaft within the stands. If the shaft was installed incorrectly, then that tube has also probably been shortened. Make sure it goes not only through the stand but also through the hole in the shaft. If it does not, get a replacement.
The shaft probably will not move once bolted down, but the tube does ensure that it gets installed correctly and does not change position during installation because if I'm not mistaken, the tube will fit only that hole, so if the tube is in, you know it is right. I've never checked for myself, though.
Makes sense and explains why the shaft rotated in the first place. the tube is there, but turns freely. I'll dig in, but I'm guessing it broke off at some point, allowing the shaft to rotate out of position.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:47 AM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Fired the ol' girl up before going to work today. Ran great, and didn't have all the rocker noise it had before. Pulled the valve cover (gotta love the two bolt covers) and everything was nice and oiled. Now just time to get some new overflow tubes.

Thanks everyone for your input! I'll get some stuff posted when I start getting the Y-Block installed into the 64.

Quick Reply: No Oiling Right Bank of Rockers