Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Elder User

bakerbuilttracks is starting off with a positive reputation.
ABS Grease fitting ?

I read a while back about installing a grease fitting in place of the abs sensor to grease the hub/wheel bearing.

I found these Riffraff Diesel: Front ABS Grease-able Block Off Fitting from clay while looking at the cost of an AE " they were on the same page ".

My question is this ......

By installing and using them which Bearing dose it apply grease to ? The needle bearing that the front axel shaft rides on. Or the actual sealed wheel/hub bearing.

Any one using these ? how are they ? do they really help the longevity of the front wheel bearings. Ive put 2 or 3 sets of hub assy on my truck in 6 years and if it will help not having to do that "As much" I'm sold.
BAKERBUILT TRACKS 1999.5 F-250 7.3L SD 4x4, EDGE EVOLUTION MONITOR (for gauges and code reader ), DP-TUNER F6, MBRP 4" TURBO BACK, S&B COLD AIR INTAKE, CCV MOD, WICKED WHEEL, RR IC BOOTS, BD WASTEGATE ACTUATOR, FRx, HPX, IH BELLOWED UP-PIPES, 6.0 TRANS COOLER, 4R100 with (RV T/C, STIFFER ACCUMULATOR SPRINGS, VALVE BODY ), FOIL DELETE, HUTCH and HARPOON, TRAIN HORNS, 35x12.50x20 TOYO A/T II's,
Old 05-24-2013, 05:28 AM
Posting Guru

grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.
When Andy (snowseeker) made his first run of these (though not anodized and shiny) I took a few pics of the grease fitting and how the grease moved through the bearing. It looks like the needle bearing doesn't get the added grease as the sealed hub bearing certainly does...

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - Brotherhood of the travelling hub zerk

EDIT: After reading my old post, it seams back in 2011 I didn't know how to spell... "greese" vs "grease"
Old 05-24-2013, 06:16 AM
Elder User

srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have 2 of the RR fittings. They grease the internal sealed bearing that the truck rides on, not the little axle bearing (NAPA bearing #B2110) that is visible on the inside of the hub.
Those little bearings are easily replaceable, but do need to be hand greased.
Darrell, PAA#131

The Blue(ish) Beast. 7.3 manual, 6637 Mod, Hutch mod on a steel aft axle tank, pre-pump fuel filter, coolant filter, LED rear lights, HPx, front axle rebuild, transfer case replaced, rear (clear 1 piece) window replaced with privacy manual slider
Old 05-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Post Fiend

HKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant futureHKusp has a brilliant future
I believe Scott (Texas Outlaw) was the first to make a run of these, and he actually gave them away to anyone who wanted one at the time, just for the record. I haven't seen him post in quite a while though. He's a very good dude.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/member.php?u=347252

PAA Member #3
2003 Lariat CC4X4

Cold Start thread
Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Posting Guru

grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
I believe Scott (Texas Outlaw) was the first to make a run of these, and he actually gave them away to anyone who wanted one at the time, just for the record. I haven't seen him post in quite a while though.
Show's how much I know...
Old 05-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Bricks & PSD

eyyu is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How can I find out if I have the right axle that this part will fit? Thx
Dirty work truck: 95 F350 7.3 PSD RED crewcab, 3 underbed toolboxes. shim FPR, 140V IDM, 96 PCM
Old 05-24-2013, 11:05 AM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyyu View Post
How can I find out if I have the right axle that this part will fit? Thx
You do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzter View Post
I have a 05' F250 4X4 FX4 and recently had a 05' F-150 4X4. Just got rid of the F150...after using the zerk on it...Well heres the story...I also have a 04' Tahoe...took the rotors and mounting brackets off today..and looked in the back...hmmmm ABS bolted in the same way..so I figured might as well check it out...took out the ABS, held in the same way as the fords with a small bolt...and guess what fits...the hub zerk.....just lettin ya know...This thing is versitle (sp)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hav24wheel View Post
Same thing works on my wife's Town and Country too. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzter View Post
The "WIFE'S" tahoe is a 2004 and it has the abs sensor in about the same exact location as my 2005 F150. And it was an exact fit. I was happy to be able to grease them.
Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!

Last edited by Stewart_H; 05-24-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:18 AM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
I believe Marv was the creator for the original zerk, turning one on his lathe. It was his design that Tex followed.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/64...ml#post5019968

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!

Last edited by Stewart_H; 05-24-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Elder User

cps is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.cps is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So what happens to the ABS system now?
00 F350 SCLB 4x4 auto,Banks power elbow with 4 " exhaust, Banks 100hp chip, pillar gauges,AFE 6637 filter,CCV mod,Custom built Rotomaster turbo,80 hp modified injectors ,AIH delete,Foil delete, RR HPX FRX,Warn hubs, Bd trans & torque Con,, Bilstein shocks,2" level kit, Amsoil oil bypass,Trucool cooler,Banks transcommand, hutch/harpoon mod.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps View Post
So what happens to the ABS system now?
What do you mean?

Greasing the hubs this way doesn't affect anything with the ABS.

Stewart
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Elder User

cps is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.cps is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
What do you mean?

Greasing the hubs this way doesn't affect anything with the ABS.

Stewart
What i meant was, if you remove the ABS sensor i am assuming it will throw a code if you do not re-install the the sensor after greasing, right? Now with all that grease in there, i was wondering if it affects the sensors ability now. Maybe a dumb question, but i like to ask them instead of dumb mistakes.
00 F350 SCLB 4x4 auto,Banks power elbow with 4 " exhaust, Banks 100hp chip, pillar gauges,AFE 6637 filter,CCV mod,Custom built Rotomaster turbo,80 hp modified injectors ,AIH delete,Foil delete, RR HPX FRX,Warn hubs, Bd trans & torque Con,, Bilstein shocks,2" level kit, Amsoil oil bypass,Trucool cooler,Banks transcommand, hutch/harpoon mod.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps View Post
Now with all that grease in there, i was wondering if it affects the sensors ability now. Maybe a dumb question, but i like to ask them instead of dumb mistakes.
Not dumb. Without you being specific, I didn't understand what your question was.

Adding the grease through the ABS port does not affect the ABS sensor in any way.

Stewart
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Elder User

srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.srteach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Not dumb. Without you being specific, I didn't understand what your question was.

Adding the grease through the ABS port does not affect the ABS sensor in any way.

Stewart
Stewart is correct. There is no effect on the ABS if you re-install the sensor.

If you leave them out (as I have), the ABS system is disabled, which does not affect braking in any way. You will have the ABS light on until it burns out or is removed from the instrument panel.

You can use the fittings if you do not have the ABS. You just have to get the ABS hubs, remove the sensor and place the grease fittings in their place.
Darrell, PAA#131

The Blue(ish) Beast. 7.3 manual, 6637 Mod, Hutch mod on a steel aft axle tank, pre-pump fuel filter, coolant filter, LED rear lights, HPx, front axle rebuild, transfer case replaced, rear (clear 1 piece) window replaced with privacy manual slider
Old 05-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by srteach View Post
You can use the fittings if you do not have the ABS. You just have to get the ABS hubs, remove the sensor and place the grease fittings in their place.
Please be sure to not throw away that ABS sensor that you remove. Save it for someone here that may need one someday.

I can't believe the "question for Cookie" was asked six years ago!

Where does the time go?????

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 05-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Not a liberal...

Texas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
I believe Scott (Texas Outlaw) was the first to make a run of these, and he actually gave them away to anyone who wanted one at the time, just for the record. I haven't seen him post in quite a while though. He's a very good dude.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Profile: Texas Outlaw
Sup bro?

I did make a run of these. Have been trying to make another run but just haven't had time. The company that I have worked most of my life for was recently sold and the new owners work me into the dirt, hence the no time for anything. Am about to make a change though....
'02 F-250 SC SB 7.3L 4x4 w/ 4" SuperLift, 315/75 R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts, Bilstein 5100s - 6 position DI tuner, AFE Stage II w/Dry S Pro, HPX, 203* Billet, CCV, Sonnax, Tru-Cool, Fumoto, ZooDad, Brite-Box, 4" MagnaFlow SST, ITP OBA, A/C comfort mod!, Autometer Z series gauges, Scan Gauge II, Tough Country bumpers
Old 05-27-2013, 04:59 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel