Tire Recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:34 AM
redbug
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tire Recomendations?

Hello,

I have a 2001 Crew Cab, 4x4, 7.3, automatic, long bed, lariat, factory aluminum rims, stock F-250.

I need new tires.

I would like stock size tires. I do very little off road. Would like a good road tire, quiet. I tow a 7000 lb travel trailer from time to time.

Any tire recomendations?

Regards,

redbug2

Old 01-04-2016, 09:41 AM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the Cooper Discoverer AT3. Its slightly aggressive, great for the upcoming winter, but still highway friendly. I had a couple of sets on my Ranger and they had great traction all the time. Just makes sure you get the 10-ply Load Range E (120/123 load rating), as they are also available in a "C" range(119 load rating)in the same size, and those aren't heavy enough for these trucks.

I'm also looking at the Discoverer HT and HT3. The HT3 is more of an all-season, highway commercial tire, but is supposed to still have pretty good wet and snow traction, while wearing better, and having a little better highway "manners". The HT3 also has a "silica based tread compound", like the AT3.

I am need of tires also, for my '00 F250 (265/75/16). If I had the money, I would already have the Coopers on the truck. Unfortunately, I'm broke, and going to have move in the next month or so, so I may have to settle for some cheap off brand tires to get me by. But, if you can afford decent tires, go with the Coopers

Old 01-04-2016, 09:47 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I am running the Michelin LTX M/S2 and so far i love them. Nice and quiet and from all accounts they wear like iron. I don't have the miles on mine to really comment on the wear yet, but all the research i did suggests they last a LONG time.

When i bought my set, the manager was telling me that they had a Tacoma or Tundra (can't remember which) who had come in to change theirs out a couple months previous and had over 100K on the set! Ours aren't going to last that long, given the weight of our rigs, but still should last a lot longer than the average.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:06 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I have been running Cooper ST MAXX for the past 10K miles and am very happy with them. They are quite a bit aggressive, but I live in the country and like to go boondocking, so if they are needed they are there.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:07 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another one here with Michelin LTX MS/2. Load range E, outstanding tire. Great all around traction, especially on slick wet roads. The stiff sidewalls give them a solid feel with a top heavy camper at highway speeds going through mountain twisties. I'm a skiier, so I've driven them on ice, loose and hard pack snow, and can't imagine a better tire. I feel secure with them in all conditions. You pay more, but I think you get more, as with most Michelin tires. We have always had Michelins on all our family vehicles, and besides long wearing, they perform well even when they're towards the end of their tread life. The way I look at it, if you spread the additional cost over the few years of life of the tires, it really isn't that much more. Especially for a product that performs very well.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:13 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Michelin AT2's here, but in 285x75-16 on stock rims, Load Range E, 10-ply tires. Outstanding. I'm on my third or fourth set over three different PSD's, and love them. I tend to get about 55K off of the tires, and run nitrogen in them with very rare need for ever topping off pressure. All my driving is on the road, too.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:32 AM
carguy3j
Elder User
Originally Posted by F250_
Michelin AT2's here, but in 285x75-16 on stock rims, Load Range E, 10-ply tires. Outstanding. I'm on my third or fourth set over three different PSD's, and love them. I tend to get about 55K off of the tires, and run nitrogen in them with very rare need for ever topping off pressure. All my driving is on the road, too.
Is your suspension stock? I'm a little surprised that the 285/75 will clear everything, as the 265 are already pretty wide; and considering the "base" tire size is 235/85. Any rubbing at all?

Any issues/concerns with such a wide tread on a stock rim width? Any sidewall rollover on hard turns,etc... What air pressures are you running?

Old 01-04-2016, 11:18 AM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 01-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Since no one else has mentioned them, take a look at the BFG KO-2's. I only have about 1000 miles on them but so far so good. Fairly aggressive, not noisy and they ride good. They are an E rated tire also. Got mine from discount tire. They had the best price I could find.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Michelin LTX MS2, no doubt about it.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:28 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Michelin LTX is probably the best tire but I run the Cooper Discoverer HT3 on my pickup & my 1 ton work van & love them. Super quiet & wear very well. I put so few miles on my trucks that the Michelins would dry rot b4 the tread was half gone, & they cost too much to let that happen

Old 01-04-2016, 01:37 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Base size on both my XLT truck and Excursion is 265-75, not 235... look at the sticker on your door post.

I have a two-inch front leveling kit on my F250, but all else is bone stock. I have NOTHING but bone stock on my Excursion. The 285 tire width runs on the stock alloy rims excellently. No rubbing at all.

I don't tow or haul anything, so I generally run around 55-57 psi up front and 52-53 psi in the rear. This gives me excellent tread wear which is dead flat across the treads with no excessive center wear or shoulder rounding (front or rear), and I live in a very hilly area with very curvy roads. The 10-ply E-rated tires allow the 50-ish tire pressure to survive these road conditions without suffering from any sidewall sag, so the tires always have a great stance, visually speaking.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
After shredding 3 sets of odd-ball tires of good reputation, I went Michelin LTX M/S2. These are deceptively good tires for snow - you wouldn't assume that at a mere glance. A close look shows the siping on the tread, this is how it handles the snow so well. I had some tires with that mountain peak and snowflake logo on it - allegedly the best for winter driving... they were done in 17K miles. Those fancy-schmancy tires didn't have any significant improvement in winter street traction over the Michelin LTX M/S2. Maybe if I went-a-muddin' to compare them... I dunno.

On the open road, these Michelins are very quiet - and other members can verify I'm picky about the noise level in the truck. After putting 5,000 miles on them so far, they still look like new. That's more than I can say for the last 3 sets of tires.

Costco was out of stock on my size and I was in a time crunch - so I bought mine at Discount Tire.

If you have any street traction or control issues with these shoes on the baby - you need to look closer at the baby.

Again - I can't speak to mud... Stinky is a pavement prancer.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:20 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 239 Likes on 162 Posts
Michelan LTX M/S2

Old 01-04-2016, 02:40 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly

Costco was out of stock on my size and I was in a time crunch - so I bought mine at Discount
I could get them at a better price at Costco, but I like discount, they matched Costco's price no questions.

I like the certificates at Discount and had to use them to replace tires for free several times in the past. I asked about the time limit on the certs, the manager (who has been there for a long time) told me he goes of the tread remaining, so even if these last long enough to dry rot, I am hoping they will replace them too. Time will tell on that one, talk is cheap, but based on past experience I am hoping it won't be an issue if the need arises.

Quick Reply: Tire Recomendations?