General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Why so many Ads on here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Why so many Ads on here?

Does anyone ever have this happen? Try to hit the back button and it is just loaded with ads. I had hit back probably 20 times at this point.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:34 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
The ads are there to pay for the site. To eliminate the ads, become a Supporter.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:41 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our moderator salaries are a tad on the excessive side

Old 05-24-2013, 06:14 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE Herman
you get paid??

all i got was that lousy Shelby GT-500

Old 05-24-2013, 06:20 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you mean a model of the 500 or ?!?!

agree - great roi for what this site gives you ! been a member for TOO long and TOO many hours a day

Old 05-24-2013, 07:29 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
So supporters don't see those ads? Hmmm. At least I know what is really needed from me. Honestly when I see the ridiculous amount of ads I just close out of the site. It is a bit annoying. I've been a member for a long time here and only remember this happening recently. I guess they are trying to thin the herd.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:04 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not just this site. I have that happen occasionally on other sites also. And yes, it's irritating.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:23 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE Herman

I KNEW there was something foul in that Moderator scam!

Its odd how we've come to think "free" things on the 'net are public domain, profits are taboo and no one should be allowed to monetize anything. Whether that's part of the overly entitled mindset so pervasive today or just not knowing how business works its an issue that'll probably be with us forever.

Just wait until YouTube starts charging for use---and its definitely coming so be prepared. Anyone here fondly recall pop up ads? Talk about frustrating huh?

Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by JWA
I KNEW there was something foul in that Moderator scam!

Its odd how we've come to think "free" things on the 'net are public domain, profits are taboo and no one should be allowed to monetize anything. Whether that's part of the overly entitled mindset so pervasive today or just not knowing how business works its an issue that'll probably be with us forever.

Just wait until YouTube starts charging for use---and its definitely coming so be prepared. Anyone here fondly recall pop up ads? Talk about frustrating huh?
If you think my question hints at entitlement or ignorance you are most definitely mistaken. It was simply a question of why? If it is because of the almighty $$$...so be it. I guess that gives me 3 options...Pay up...Deal with it...or get out. I just don't remember reading any sticky that said..."Hey if you don't pay, you are going to get a ridiculous amount of ads that will far outweigh your ability to speed click the back button."

It's not that I am not appreciative of this site and all the people that contribute, because I most definitely am. I just didn't know if others had seen the same issue or if I was alone. Like I said...just asking why.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
it is not about the money and making a profit, it more about have you any idea how much it costs to keep a site like this running??
a friend of mine runs a very small site. he asks for $3 per year from each user to cover costs. most do not pay, a lot of us pay a lot more.
it still costs him over $5,000 out of pocket each year to keep the site up and running. why? because there are none others like it, and without that site many old car owners would be lost.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
In this case, while ads are a necessary evil, I don't think the OP's problem has to do with ads in general.

Judging from the screenshot, it looks like there's a transient scripting error that's screwing with the history. It could also have to do with his use of Internet Exploder, which routinely thumbs it's nose at internet "standards." Different ads would have different reference numbers, and all the listed references are identical.

-blaine

Old 05-24-2013, 09:57 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
In this case, while ads are a necessary evil, I don't think the OP's problem has to do with ads in general.

Judging from the screenshot, it looks like there's a transient scripting error that's screwing with the history. It could also have to do with his use of Internet Exploder, which routinely thumbs it's nose at internet "standards." Different ads would have different reference numbers, and all the listed references are identical.

-blaine
Thank you. That seems far more logical to me than just saying pay if you don't want ads. I have a hard time believing that FTE would flood me with those ads just because I don't pay. I'm going to try Chrome and Firefox for a while and see what happens.

Thanks again Blaine.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JWA
Actually, back in the dark ages (when a 2400-baud modem was blisteringly fast), that's how most of the internet was.

Signal:Noise was quite high, and idiots were few and far between. But it was almost exclusively text-based, and centered around educational institutions and large (usually defense-related) industries.

And then came AOL.

About the same time, technology improved so that 9600 and 14.4K modems were relatively cheap and readily available, which allowed the Internet to transition from mostly text to mostly images.

As all that new content started gobbling bandwidth, the technology had to improve to meet demand, and THAT'S what's not free.

Yeah, advertising is, unfortunately, a necessary evil. What chaps me about it is that it has become ENTIRELY too "in-your-face" in almost all applications. Too much noise (literally). Too much flash. Too much blink. Sometimes the equivalent of an internet "flash-bang." On some sites, over half the content transmitted to your browser is advertising (or other non-relevant material).

-blaine

Old 05-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 89LX306
I guess that gives me 3 options...Pay up...Deal with it...or get out.

Google Chrome + AdBlock will help.

But for me, when I became a supporter, I did so because of how much money the collective wisdom the users that FTE has gathered here, has saved me. It's literally been a few thousand dollars that I've saved.

Like giving a tip, it's far from mandatory, but at the same time, I got that shnazzy FTE T-shirt when I paid for my 3 year membership...twice now.

Stewart

Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Firefox with Adblocker will take care of most of those ads, but becoming a supporter has other benefits as well, such as being able to use attachments in your posts, more PM capacity and a few other things. Here's the comparison chart:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/payments.php

Quick Reply: Why so many Ads on here?